Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: what training can I get to aid me in restraining disturbed young adults

RFI: what training can I get to aid me in restraining disturbed young adults

I work with high school students in separate settings who have developmental disabilities. Some have a regular tendency towards violent outbursts--the sort where you have to clear the room while they rage out.

Usually, no serious techniques are needed to resolve the situation. But sometimes...

Our district's "training" on restraining was an utter joke. Purely virtual. And we are supposed to work in tandem. I couldn't even tell you what "system" I have "certification" in.

No one I work with has a clue on any form of combatives.

Can anyone point me to some good hands-on training available in the NC RDU/ Northern Virginia (Danville) area that might help me with a better toolbox for my job? Joint locks are definitely verboten.

I'm not posting about what I've done so far in situations I've faced for reasons any LE will understand without explanation.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

If it were me, I’d look into finding out who is in charge of training correctional officers, and I’d just email them privately and explain the sitch. Without naming names, I personally know a pile of people who trained with the guy who used to be in charge of DT for my state’s crim J commission, or whatever it’s called now. FWIW…
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Maybe ask your local hospital who trains the nurses on the psych unit. I think the psych nurses call it CPI or something, but it's about soft takedowns and restraints.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Maybe ask your local hospital who trains the nurses on the psych unit. I think the psych nurses call it CPI or something, but it's about soft takedowns and restraints.

This plus if you have a local special needs or autism center they would be beyond happy to teach you how to deal with them.

I realize this is a serious issue, but my initial thought was this (I happened upon it in my PC last week, saved it from years ago):
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YRzN71...e=emb_imp_woyt

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I work with high school students in separate settings who have developmental disabilities. Some have a regular tendency towards violent outbursts--the sort where you have to clear the room while they rage out.

Usually, no serious techniques are needed to resolve the situation. But sometimes...

Our district's "training" on restraining was an utter joke. Purely virtual. And we are supposed to work in tandem. I couldn't even tell you what "system" I have "certification" in.

No one I work with has a clue on any form of combatives.

Can anyone point me to some good hands-on training available in the NC RDU/ Northern Virginia (Danville) area that might help me with a better toolbox for my job? Joint locks are definitely verboten.

I'm not posting about what I've done so far in situations I've faced for reasons any LE will understand without explanation.
    I do this for a living. We use CPI training. It's okay.

Edit: I guess I should add that CPI is Crisis Prevention Institute.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    I do this for a living. We use CPI training. It's okay.

Edit: I guess I should add that CPI is Crisis Prevention Institute.
    Yeah, that's the system I'm "certified" in. I need some actual hands-on work with it. I'm not the sort to pick up moves from just observation.

Although I've used a little with coworkers moving a kid.

Thanks for the responses everyone, took me a while to look as I'm finally doing my dance with covid. Mild so far, thank goodness.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Yeah, that's the system I'm "certified" in. I need some actual hands-on work with it. I'm not the sort to pick up moves from just observation.

Although I've used a little with coworkers moving a kid.

Thanks for the responses everyone, took me a while to look as I'm finally doing my dance with covid. Mild so far, thank goodness.
    Like anything else physical, the more you do it the better you get at it. At my old school we were restraining students several times/day, so it got to the point where I could make eye contact with a fellow staff member and do all the "moves" without much speaking going on.

Would BJJ not work for this? I'm asking because I don't know. I'm not referring to choking people out or using hard takedowns, but it seems that it could be adapted into a gentler format for this type of situation. I only bring up BJJ because every decent-sized city has a gym now and thus training options aren't limited. I'd assume that finding training partners and/or a qualified coach for any purpose-built system might be difficult, but I could certainly be wrong.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Would BJJ not work for this? I'm asking because I don't know. I'm not referring to choking people out or using hard takedowns, but it seems that it could be adapted into a gentler format for this type of situation. I only bring up BJJ because every decent-sized city has a gym now and thus training options aren't limited. I'd assume that finding training partners and/or a qualified coach for any purpose-built system might be difficult, but I could certainly be wrong.
    A BJJ coach would be a useful person to help you figure out a system.

In truth, it sounds to me like wrestling would probably prove a better base on which to build.

Insofar as point A is a person standing and point B is the person on the ground and being controlled, wrestling has always sort of been that answer.

It has some gaps in it's curriculum such as "How do I end this fight" but the answer to your situation seems to be different than the standard reaponse of applying a crippling submission, strangling then unconscious or using some hard ground and pound....so a wrestling base seems like a terrific idea actually.

Might need some tweaks though.

User Tag List