Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best moment during a training class?

Your best moment during a training class?

What was your best/favorite moment during a training class? I'm talking about an AHA! when you finally understand something, or just something that really made you feel good. In my vast experience of 1 class so far with DTI, getting my pin from Vickie Farnam was very cool, but what really got me was during the night shooting part of the course: we were moving down the line of steel rotator targets, shooting the top and bottom paddles once each, so 9 people at a time are banging away, steel is ringing like bells, the air is filled with smoke, the moon is out just a little, and at the next range over the advanced class is hammering away with rifles. At that moment I knew I had to do as much of this as I could.

Walk-back drill, 110 yards give or take, one handed, 1911, on a torso sized piece of steel...

ding!

B_C

Dinner at Cracker Barrel with LAV.

Cleaning a plate rack first when going head to head with some of the very talented shooters at any PT class.

Grounded evolution in ECQC. Kicking a guy in the shins to keep him below my legs. Draw and get a click. Before I was consciously aware of what was going on, I tapped, racked, and got a perfect shot into him from the #2.

My first class was a Ken Hackathorn Advanced Handgun and there was not a single moment that was not an AHA! moment. To summarize things, my entire outlook prior was pretty much wrong. I am sure some folks could write a list of the things that needed to change. The obvious take home point was that I don't need to try to outshoot Dave Sevigny to be OK. It took a bit, but hearing Ken Hackathorn say you are OK, you are OK. This allows me to approach other things with a different, better, perspective.

When LAV described to me resetting the trigger *during* the recoil of the pistol a big flashbulb went off.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Watching the Superbowl with Ken Hackathorn and eating pizza with Ken and LAV is without question one of the coolest things I've done as a result of training courses. Nothing like getting some serious gun guys around the table and just listening.

If you mean lightbulb moments, I've had several...the first time I trained with Kyle Defoor, the first LAV class, the first AFHF I attended...all had profound influences on how I thought and how I did things from then on.

I've had many, some came from Tom Givens and his "Dynamic Marksmanship" class!!, it was two days and about 1400 rounds of ammo!! as a new shooter I was the last man standing and had to shoot against Hanney and he does this for a living.

Tom Givens instructor and advanced instructor classes. If you want to be able to teach this to beginning students, these are a must!!

Then Magpul, WOW, Costa can shoot, and to have him pick you out of the pack to talk about was way cool!!

Then AFHF!!! Shooting with ToddG is freaking awesome!!!! his "why's" are more than worth the price of admission.

But the training that will make you look different at all other training and those that have not done it. CQT with Mike Brown at USSA ( or ECQC with Southnarc) Mike says it's as Real as it gets!! He's right, fighting with two guy's wile tearing a Glock sim gun in two and "shooting" the bad guy, then having to answer the questions the cop asked when he got there to interview you!!
    IMHO until you have done this type of training you don't have all the AHA's....

Also would have to mention some of the Presentations I've been in on.
    John Hearn, William April, Tom Givens, Skip Gochenour, and John Farnam.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Dinner at Cracker Barrel with LAV.

Cleaning a plate rack first when going head to head with some of the very talented shooters at any PT class.
    Oh Cracker Barrel..I only eat there when I go see my parents in Utah, but it is amazing!
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

From my AFHF AAR thread ...
    Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Finishing one of the shooting on the move drills with all hits (the only one out of 12 students) and having TLG get right up in my face, finger waving, saying ..."Dude .... that was F*#&ing AWESOME .... and I don't say that word much. I don't say AWESOME. I say F*#& all the time.".
    Others include;
    • Nearly getting ran over by a run away horse in the same class. Seriously.
    • Finally getting the "calling your shots" thing during the same AFHF class.
    • Like some else said already ... figuring out to reset the trigger during recoil. I think my moment was in a LAV 1911 class too.
    • Walk-back drill in LAV's 1911 class. I wasn't at the top of the class but I think I made to about 75 yards on a torso steel silhouette.

User Tag List