Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holosun 509T maxxed out elevation

Which optic? The 509 and its plate are metal.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Delrin I think?

Of course I use E6000 lol.

EDIT: it’s not Delrin.

But Shield SMS and Sig Romeo Zero are plastic optics so it’s not worse than that.

In reality I’ve never had an issue since it’s so thin.
    Thanks! Just ordered one. I'd prefer not to return the optic if I can avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Which optic? The 509 and its plate are metal.
    For other people following the thread, I had edited an above post referencing two plastic body optics as data points for reasonably durable plastic applications in RDS.

It also occurred to me that when mounting a 509 ACSS on my MPX I did have to use a 1 degree shim otherwise I was out of elevation as well.

I had the issue on a secondhand 509t on initial zero. I returned the optic to center, both elevation and winage, and started again and it worked fine. May be too simple and i don't know enough about the inside of optics to have an idea why it was so, but i think it's worth a try.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    I had the issue on a secondhand 509t on initial zero. I returned the optic to center, both elevation and winage, and started again and it worked fine. May be too simple and i don't know enough about the inside of optics to have an idea why it was so, but i think it's worth a try.
    Backlash? I often forget to do this, but going one click beyond and returning is a way to deal with backlash.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Holosun RMR plate for the 509T and the shim if needed.

I use the shim on revolvers regularly.

One degree shim plate is what you are looking for.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ade-Advance...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    I received my shim but I'm pretty sure I need the reverse of this shim. My 407C is maxxed out down and POI still high. The shim raises the rear of the RDS, but I need to raise the front. I assumed the shim would work either way but the holes and the profile of the shim don't support that. Am I missing something? Additionally, I mounted another 407C and it won't zero, either. Pretty sure this is not a problem with the Holosun but the scope mount on my Smith. I expect I'll end up shimming the Weaver base, bht thought I'd run it past you first. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    This is a good first step.

If that doesn’t work I would try a different place to make sure it’s not a plate issue.

If those two steps don’t work I would contact Holosun and let the mothership figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I received my shim but I'm pretty sure I need the reverse of this shim. My 407C is maxxed out down and POI still high. The shim raises the rear of the RDS, but I need to raise the front. I assumed the shim would work either way but the holes and the profile of the shim don't support that. Am I missing something? Additionally, I mounted another 407C and it won't zero, either. Pretty sure this is not a problem with the Holosun but the scope mount on my Smith. I expect I'll end up shimming the Weaver base, bht thought I'd run it past you first. Thanks.
    Can you take a picture of how your scope mount sits?

It would be very odd to have a mount that has the RDS aimed into the dirt and you should be able to see such an extreme angle in profile view?

Most of the mounting issues happen when there’s too much horizontal height over bore and can’t get the lines to intersect so raising the rear is what’s needed in that case.

In a pinch, you could use a hand drill or a drill press to make some holes in the shim you have to reverse the angle but something seems off with your scope mount?

Can you take a picture of how your scope mount sits?

It would be very odd to have a mount that has the RDS aimed into the dirt and you should be able to see such an extreme angle in profile view?

Most of the mounting issues happen when there’s too much horizontal height over bore and can’t get the lines to intersect so raising the rear is what’s needed in that case.

In a pinch, you could use a hand drill or a drill press to make some holes in the shim you have to reverse the angle but something seems off with your scope mount?
    These photos have the .019 shim under the Weaver base. With the shim, I am almost in the center of the adjustment range.
    Name:  IMG_5841.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  89.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_5839.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  61.0 KB

I thought the same thing about the angle being noticeable but I could not see an anomaly. With the shim installed I can see a slight angle produced. The math says that the shim ought to move POI 32.5" at 100 yards. That equates to just over half a degree. The laser bore sighter seems to confirm something along those lines. I'll try to get out and shoot it tomorrow. I have to agree about a problem with the scope mount but can't figure out what it is. If it was the revolver, I can't see it shooting as well as it does. Thanks for your help.

In the case of the 509t, Holosun absolutely knocked if out of the park with their 509t to MOS plate. It's steel, and it puts the optic very low on the slide. Here's how low, I had a Swampfox Liberty red dot with a C&H plate on the gun prior, and had to use Ameriglo 3XL sights to get the rear notch even with the deck of the optic. After switching to the 509t plus Holosun plate, those irons were damn near in the middle of the window. I had to order Ameriglo XL sights and that proved to be the perfect height. XL sights were usually the right choice for direct milled RMRs. I think if you went with this plate it would solve your elevation problem, I barely had to adjust mine to zero it.
    I'm baffled how Holosun could make such a shitty Aimpoint micro footprint mount on their 403/503 optics and make such an awesome plate for the MOS.

User Tag List