Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titegroup and 124gr JHP velocity target

Titegroup and 124gr JHP velocity target

I want to generate a load with 124gr JHPs and Titegroup. I want to get a MV of right at 1000 fps. The load on the Hodgdon website starts at 3.6 and goes to 4.1. The claim at 4.1 is 1057. I'm guessing right at 3.9/4.0 grains would get me in the neighborhood? But does anybody have any chrono data on a load like this out of a Glock 19/45 length barrel? (4.0")

Site Supporter
    For a while I was running 4.2 grains under a 125-grain Zero JHP loaded to 1.14” from a CZ-75B. The CZ has a 4.7” barrel and I got ~1050 fps. I’d start there and chronograph it and adjust as necessary. Note that if you’re trying to make a 125 power factor the usual practice is to load to about a 130 PF to allow for differences in temperature and chronographs.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    For a while I was running 4.2 grains under a 125-grain Zero JHP loaded to 1.14” from a CZ-75B. The CZ has a 4.7” barrel and I got ~1050 fps. I’d start there and chronograph it and adjust as necessary. Note that if you’re trying to make a 125 power factor the usual practice is to load to about a 130 PF to allow for differences in temperature and chronographs.
    I'm not looking to make any given PF, I'm just trying to generate a load that duplicates a 124gr HST +p velocity at 100 yards. Then I'm gonna shoot some jello with it and see what that looks like. The question came up with one of my colleagues about how effective those rounds would be at extended distances.

Quote Originally Posted by SMJayman View Post
    I'm not looking to make any given PF, I'm just trying to generate a load that duplicates a 124gr HST +p velocity at 100 yards. Then I'm gonna shoot some jello with it and see what that looks like. The question came up with one of my colleagues about how effective those rounds would be at extended distances.
    Why not just pull a few rounds of factory ammo down and resize & reload the case with the exact bullet & powder charge you want to test? The Zero bullet won't perform the same as the HST, so you'd still be wondering about the actual performance of your actual load at your selected actual velocity. It would also be a good idea to chrono the full power factory load at 100 yards to make sure the 1000 fps claim by the manufacturer isn't just hyperbole, or that Your Mileage Has Indeed Varied.. That could however, pose a danger to your chronograph at that distance.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by SMJayman View Post
    The standard 124gr HST can partially expand below 750 fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM6BOjsFx4M

My G34 shot 124/125 gr Zero and Montana Gold JHP close to 1080-1100 with 3.8 gr of Titegroup. I think that load dropped down to around 1020-1040 out of G19.

When I went to the CZ/Tanfo pistols I had to bump up to 4.1-4.2 to get to that 1080ish area. I was shooting for 135 pf as it has always been a load easy to shoot, burned most of the powder (Titegroup is already dirty but gets really dirty at low pf) and should cycle any 9mm gun reliably.

Oops! OP didn't mention Zero bullets, the first reply did.

Apologies for my mixup.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

My minor match load is a 124 grain Berry's plated RN over 4.0 grains of Titegroup. It routinely gives me 1040-1050 fps out of a 4.25" barrel.

I’ve shot many thousands of 124gr plated RN with 4.1gr of titegroup. The velocities from my G17 are right around 1075 fps
    When I needed a moderate load to push the overexpanding Berrys 124gr plated hybrid hollow points I tried the same load and low and behold it was also right around 1075 fps too.

Just an FYI in case you have a fiber optic front sight; Titegroup is a very hot burning powder. Right now I realize that we're forced to use what we have, and luckily, I have a good many different pistol powders.

If it's a powder without position sensitivity you're after, Accurate No 2 is a very good one that doesn't burn as hot, and won't melt fiber optic front sights, and charge-weights are pretty similar if your loading with economy in mind. Great all-around powder for light loads in most cartridges. And since Hodgdon bought Western Powder Co., maybe they won't mind me saying that. I have W244 also, a fairly new powder, but haven't found much to get excited about it.

And of course the "old" No 2 is still around that Accurate originally bought from eXplosia in the Czech Republic, and now sold as Shooter's World Clean Shot. Same case for No 5, 7 and 9 where the newer Accurate versions are made by St Marks in Florida.

User Tag List