Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grail(s) obtained - Browning Hi Power MKIII

Site Supporter

Grail(s) obtained - Browning Hi Power MKIII

Almost 10 years ago, I briefly owned a MK III Browning Hi Power while trying to figure out which platform to settle on. I fell in love with the graceful lines and how it fit my hands, but sold it to buy an M&P 1.0 or G19.3. Yeah, I was a dumbass. As I matured as a firearm owner and the HPs were no longer made, I came to deeply regret that sale. Over the years I've seen the clones, the SA-35, and the beat up surplus pistols, but something kept telling me not to bite just yet.

Fast forward to this past weekend, and I see a local ad for two nearly pristine MK IIIs listed at at an unbelievable price with a discount if both are purchased together. I couldn't believe they weren't gone yet, and after a super smooth transaction, I'm the proud owner of two like new Hi Powers. One was made in '02 and the other in '09.

Name:  20220525_010823.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  77.9 KB

The owner had the spur hammers replaced with hard chrome ring hammers and had a trigger job done including removal of the mag safety. The triggers feel about 4.5 lbs, but have no tactile reset at all, and the return feels way too light for a combat pistol. One of them has the ugly dovetail adjustable sights. rubber Hogue grips, and an ambi mag release. The thumb safeties are positive on both. I initially planned to add Navidrex or VZ grips, fit a C&S extended safety, swap out the main spring and trigger springs, and set them both up with the OEM fixed Browning rear (blacked out) with a Dawson fiber optic. After going through both posts by @Tokarev, I'm now seriously considering a trip to Karl Sokol for both. I really want stippled front and back straps, and Novak or Heinie ledge sights would look better. Do his prices include parts, or are they just labor?

Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    Almost 10 years ago, I briefly owned a MK III Browning Hi Power while trying to figure out which platform to settle on. I fell in love with the graceful lines and how it fit my hands, but sold it to buy an M&P 1.0 or G19.3. Yeah, I was a dumbass. As I matured as a firearm owner and the HPs were no longer made, I came to deeply regret that sale. Over the years I've seen the clones, the SA-35, and the beat up surplus pistols, but something kept telling me not to bite just yet.

Fast forward to this past weekend, and I see a local ad for two nearly pristine MK IIIs listed at at an unbelievable price with a discount if both are purchased together. I couldn't believe they weren't gone yet, and after a super smooth transaction, I'm the proud owner of two like new Hi Powers. One was made in '02 and the other in '09.

Name:  20220525_010823.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  77.9 KB

The owner had the spur hammers replaced with hard chrome ring hammers and had a trigger job done including removal of the mag safety. The triggers feel about 4.5 lbs, but have no tactile reset at all, and the return feels way too light for a combat pistol. One of them has the ugly dovetail adjustable sights. rubber Hogue grips, and an ambi mag release. The thumb safeties are positive on both. I initially planned to add Navidrex or VZ grips, fit a C&S extended safety, swap out the main spring and trigger springs, and set them both up with the OEM fixed Browning rear (blacked out) with a Dawson fiber optic. After going through both posts by @Tokarev, I'm now seriously considering a trip to Karl Sokol for both. I really want stippled front and back straps, and Novak or Heinie ledge sights would look better. Do his prices include parts, or are they just labor?
    Nice brace of pistols there.

Karl will provide parts or install parts you send him. He provided sights for both pistols he worked for me. I provided the grips (Navidrex) and sears (EGW) and he did the rest.

The first gun took something like seven or eight months to get back. The second took a little over a year. In both cases the guns were worth the wait and I would have no qualms about sending Karl another gun.

With that said, Don Williams dba The Action Works is also known to do some nice Hi Power work.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I'm pretty sure I'm going with Karl. His price is very good, and he's only backlogged for 4 to 6 months. Considering his reputation, I think that's very reasonable. Don's price is about double with an 18 to 24 month backlog. Now to really figure out what I want to have done.

Hipowers only need sights, trigger work, grips, stippling, and maybe extended safeties. Is the serial number on the frontstrap or frame?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Hipowers only need sights, trigger work, grips, stippling, and maybe extended safeties. Is the serial number on the frontstrap or frame?

Don't forget re-finishing if the gun isn't stainless. That's honestly about all I want, but his standard package as of this writing is only about $50 more since there's a discount vs a la carte. I'm not looking for super fancy like the $3000 Novak builds. My serials are on the frontstrap, so I know the stippling will need to leave that untouched.

That's a beauty, by the way. Who did your work?

I'd do something with those big white hammers.
    If they were mechanically sound and could be made to give a better trigger feel, I'd "feather" them a la Jeff Cooper.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    That's a beauty, by the way. Who did your work?
    That's currently my only HP, built by the late Jim Garthwaite.

This is a Sokol build that I had Frank Glenn reblue:

My Sokol guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    My Sokol guns.

Tokarev:

Gorgeous pair of Hi Powers. I have to add a beavertail to mine to prevent the hammer bite. That said, how do you like the "feather" hammer on the Hi Power depicted on the right in your photo? Have you had any misfires with it? Thanks in advance.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

FWIW, I was a little doubtful on the Karl Sokol’s Hi Power safety with a SNICK sound when disengaged. I didn’t think the Hi Power safety was that bad.
    Karl recommended it and I relented.
    About the best money I have ever spent…

User Tag List