Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TTI Introduces "Sand Viper" 2011 and 9mm Magnum?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    1) It did get press when it was released in 2017/18.
    2) Not sure where you're getting 1/2 the cost. Starline 9mm is $161/1000 and NAS3 is $110/1000.
    It's $160 per 1,500 cases, so 50% cheaper at the $160 buy in vs the 1000 pieces of starline brass for the same price.

At 10,000 cases its $975, which drops per brass down to 9.75 cents per case, which is not quite half the 16.1 cents per starline but pretty close. I cant find Starline in equivalent quantities to see if their brass goes down accordingly with volume.

At 10k cases, the 50% weight reduction of the SS case might also allow for cheaper shipping than the equivalent number of brass cases, further increasing the overall savings, although to what extent I don't know.

But you have to have the trick loading dies. Add $100 for startup.

May I ask what the Sand Viper is to be for?
    Is it as controllable as a dedicated Open gun?
    Is it suitable to hang in your navel and carry around all day?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I am short on time today, can somebody tell me if it is only Taran in that video, or the shooting ballerina too? Deciding whether to watch or not.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

9mm Magnum? Well isn't that Precious.

.38 Super called to let Taran know...it hurls 125-grain bullets at 1400fps all day long. You can load exactly as many .38 Supers in the exact same magazine as you load 9x19. And oh it has existed since 1929.
    And it runs reliably in 1911's since 1929 (to be fair it seems most modern 9mm 1911's do well, but that's not always been the case).

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Spelling much? LOL
    Spelling is my business and bussynes os gud!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I never really understood 9mm shockbottle cases, since the whole point of 9mm major is that you don't buy new starline brass. You either buy "once fired", or use range pickup brass, sort it, mark it so you don't use it again, pack it full of powder, and go shoot. You leave it on the ground and don't care about it, because cheap cases FTW.

If you're gonna actually spend money on cases, you should just spend a bit more and get .38 Supercomp (It's like .38 Super, but rimless), which gives you:

• Significantly more powder capacity
    • Longer case that feeds better
    • straight walled case for an extra round or two per mag

.38 Supercomp usually has enough gas to run an aggressive compensator and aggressive porting, so you can make your gun very soft shooting and very flat shooting at the same time. With 9mm major, you generally have to pick one or the other.

Oh, and everything I've read about the shockbottle cases from people who aren't paid shills says they're a pain in the butt to reload, even with the special dies.

The sand viper gun is meh. I question some of the parts choices, but I don't have a fancy logo on the side of a gun or a cult following, so what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post

Oh, and everything I've read about the shockbottle cases from people who aren't paid shills says they're a pain in the butt to reload, even with the special dies.
    That makes sense. There is no such thing as "self lubricating" metal and 'slickness' of metal is dependent primarily on the finish of the surface as opposed to actual underlying metal. Polished brass and polished steel have similar coefficient of friction.

When the cases are dirty it'll be a similar story. However, carbide works nicely on brass not so nice on steel. So you're going to have stuck cases. Which will be fun to remove from your dies. And when these cases get stepped on at the range, returned them to slightly out of round with a sizing die is going to need a lot more force than brass.

Steel work hardens faster than brass as well. So add regular annealing to your process or expect you'll get fractionally lower numbers of reloads from these cases than you would running 9mm Minor. And the whole point is to run Major in these cases without issue, right?

Then there is the other bits, if you tumble using stainless pins, no more magnets to separate your media. Because these cases are unique, you'll be running them exclusively no mixing in other 9mm (which presumably if you're doing 9mm Major you aren't mixing them in anyways). When you do your magnetic sweeps at the range you'll have to sort out the other steel cased garbage from your Precious NAS3 stuff. And I've never been to a range where there was not crappy steel cases laying on the ground somewhere. (Also, I'm a dick, if I found out you were running these cases, I might shoot a bunch of Tula 9mm next to you, just to mess with you...)

Site Supporter
    6) The Precious
    No.

The MAGNUM precious.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I am having a hard time expressing my extreme disinterest in yet another John Wick special, now with a new and unnecessary load. Who buys these things and do they really think a pimped out 2011 is a chick magnet?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    7K for a .357 Sig? Neato!

User Tag List