Page 96 of 145 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Shooter Uvalde TX Elementary School

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The Rangers must have delivered him a helluva report. God damn.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    “Ballistic shields” are not created equal..

Keep in mind that just like there is a difference between soft body armor and rifle rated plates they were pistol rated shields and rifle rated shields.

In 25 years of law-enforcement including a fair amount of time in the firearms and tactics end of things I’ve not seen rifle rated shields in use/inventory of anyone but dedicated tactical / SWAT/SRT teams.

As detailed in my post above, for tactics related reasons rifle rated shields see limited use in the U.S. But in this instance it was necessary due to other options being off the table and the shooter dumped about half a mag on the shield when entry was finally made.

A key was used when entry was finally made based on the info provided to the entry team at the time. That is firmly established. What is currently being investigated, and has not yet been confirmed, is whether the key was actually necessary. The media is presenting this as an established fact - which it is not at this point.
    So not all ballistic shields are the same or effective against rifle rounds.

So the pictures show a non rifle rated shield.

What would realistically happen if a rifle round hit it at close range?

Can we do a "Psaki" and circle back?
    I don't get that the door cannot be locked from the inside, would not securing the door and sheltering in place with the lights off and mouths closed be part of the active shooter plan?
    From Fox:
    "McCraw testified that on video, he never saw anyone put a hand on the door before the keys arrived. Yet, he said it turns out the classroom door could not be locked from the inside."

And if the door could not be locked from the inside, wouldn't the ISD cops know this, due to the fact that the ISD is their only reason for existence?

The more these hearings go on, the more "all roads lead to Alledondo" vibes get to poppin'.
    If it seems like we are looking for someone to blame, F-ing A right we are.

I'm just thankful for the BORTAC folks who showed up, and their Ad-hoc team who finally just went for it.
    And thankful for the DPS who are casting light on this abject failure of an operation.
    Last edited by wvincent; 06-21-2022 at 02:37 PM.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    So not all ballistic shields are the same or effective against rifle rounds.

So the pictures show a non rifle rated shield.

What would realistically happen if a rifle round hit it at close range?
    It would go through it like shit through a goose.
    Last edited by Lon; 06-21-2022 at 02:32 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    “Ballistic shields” are not created equal..

Keep in mind that just like there is a difference between soft body armor and rifle rated plates they were pistol rated shields and rifle rated shields.

In 25 years of law-enforcement including a fair amount of time in the firearms and tactics end of things I’ve not seen rifle rated shields in use/inventory of anyone but dedicated tactical / SWAT/SRT teams.

As detailed in my post above, for tactics related reasons rifle rated shields see limited use in the U.S. But in this instance it was necessary due to other options being off the table and the shooter dumped about half a mag on the shield when entry was finally made.

A key was used when entry was finally made based on the info provided to the entry team at the time. That is firmly established. What is currently being investigated, and has not yet been confirmed, is whether the key was actually necessary. The media is presenting this as an established fact - which it is not at this point.
    Yeah, and maybe I need to say it differently. I’m not piling onto LE for not going in that room. To your well-illustrated point - I simply don't know. I’m just frustrated with the reporting / AAR side of it.

Can’t BS in the AAR is basically it, and I deal with that professionally. My actions are scrutinized constantly by outside parties that don’t understand fully what I do or how what I’m doing works, but I work in the IT field not LE.

I roll my eyes at folks who emphatically state “I’d never” when talking about high pressure situations in general because to be honest with you in my experience- that means they’ve probably not been in a situation like that. It’s easy to make statements about what you would and wouldn’t do with the benefit of objectivity, all the information, and all the time in the world to think something over.

I once made a change in a customer environment that they didn’t disclose all of the reliant systems to me before I started working and it probably cost them over a million dollars during that hour outage. But they picked the $&€}-ing outage window and they fought me tooth and nail on the design. The account team caved - we did it their way and then there we are… all part of the ensuing internal investigation.

It turns out although they had redundant F5 load balancers out in their Datacenter, it pointed to DNS servers behind their HQ environment that was off that environment. It impacted their ability to resolve DNS when we moved an unrelated inside interface and the firewalls stopped processing ARP requests in HQ. It was fixed by failing over the firewalls, and one of their guys knew that because it had happened a year prior. He didn’t bother to tell me (the consultant) in that situation he knew it because of that. They also wouldn’t provide access for me to assess the environment before hand - so I had to rely on them and their data.

I went in, performed the change with their engineer, and a major retailer lost DNS capability for a few hours during a Saturday afternoon in December. I ended up presenting to management what happened, the executive staff, all senior IT management, etc. they changed their outage window policy, I made recommendations to isolate their HQ environment from their DC environment, and changed how I would do projects from then on.

When it blew up - the finger pointing started. I can honestly say it wasn’t my fault but that really doesn’t matter in a situation like that because I was the consultant there and I was supposed to save them from their incompetence. But, I was able to work them and help them get it back in the road and we changed how they do business based on that outage.

That’s a lot of anecdotal from my personal life, but suffice to say - I want the parents of these kids and America to get the report of the actions of what happened. We need it and honestly - if it is handled appropriately it could save lives down the road.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    It would go through it like shit through a goose.
    Weird they would have them then since it should have been obvious that there was rifle fire going on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Can we do a "Psaki" and circle back?
    I don't get that the door cannot be locked from the inside, would not securing the door and sheltering in place with the lights off and mouths closed be part of the active shooter plan?
    From Fox:
    "McCraw testified that on video, he never saw anyone put a hand on the door before the keys arrived. Yet, he said it turns out the classroom door could not be locked from the inside."

And if the door could not be locked from the inside, wouldn't the ISD cops know this, due to the fact that the ISD is their only reason for existence?

The more these hearings go on, the more "all roads lead to Alledondo" vibes get to poppin'.
    If it seems like we are looking for someone to blame, F-ing A right we are.

I'm just thankful for the BORTAC folks who showed up, and their Ad-hoc team who finally just went for it.
    And thankful for the DPS who are casting light on this abject failure of an operation.
    My understanding is the door is supposed to automatically lock when closed and require a key to be opened from the outside.

Maybe he meant the door cannot be manually locked from inside ?

If you have a door do you want to automatically lock, putting a manual latch on the inside would defeat the purpose.

My understanding is the door is supposed to automatically lock when closed and require a key to be opened from the outside.
    That's the assumption I was working with, so are we looking at a lock failure or was it shimmed by staff for ease of going in and out?

Maybe he meant the door cannot be manually locked from inside ?

If you have a door do you want to automatically lock, putting a manual latch on the inside would defeat the purpose.
    Or a second level of security during an incident, which could bite you in the ass if the shooter locks it behind them.

This just keeps going back to NOBODY tried the door.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Or a second level of security during an incident, which could bite you in the ass if the shooter locks it behind them.

This just keeps going back to NOBODY tried the door.
    The exterior door the shooter used to enter the school building was also supposed to lock automatically. And video clearly shows the teacher pulling the door closed yet it did not lock.

Hence the reason why forensic examination of both doors is necessary to determine if there was a malfunction or convenience tampering by staff.

Site Supporter
    Not sure if this one has been posted yet:

The classroom doors are supposed to lock automatically, but from the start, the shooter could be seen walking unobstructed into the room and then darting easily in and out at least three times. The footage caused some authorities who watched it to question whether the doors were ever locked.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06...ponse-records/

User Tag List