Page 5 of 145 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Shooter Uvalde TX Elementary School

I do tend to suspect the modern social media culture- utter losers and kooks can get serious, world wide attention by doing horrific stuff.

It's the twisted version of the sort of narcissistic self love zeitgeist that causes people to humiliate themselves publicly for attention.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Our society is fucked up. It's not the "guns".

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I've had a contract gig with a school system this school year. All schools in the system have what you want and they are still vulnerable (I will not discuss why/how). I think the only security model that would work would be based on prison systems, which would likely have its own effect on the kids.

The main issue is why people perpetrate mass attacks. I know I sound like an old goat, but there was a time when this shit didn't happen. You could buy an AR15 or HK91 without a background check and walk into the elementary school I went to unchallenged. Yet it didn't happen. There is something seriously wrong with people, and until we address that, all the security in the world won't make it better.
    I don't believe what's wrong with people can be fixed. Selfishness is the dominant ethos of this society. If a pandemic that killed a million people can't conquer that, I don't believe anything can. That ethos ruins families which ruins kids who ruin their lives and lots of them ruin other people's lives.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I went to high school in the late 70s and was an outcast. I also was on the shooting squad, and had a Garand in my closet at home and later also a 1911 my senior year when I started shooting hardball.

Despite being an outcast of the highest order, not once did I ever even fantasize about taking either of these weapons to school or anywhere else and shooting anyone.

What has happened to our society? Why has this kind of depraved action become so frequent? I honestly don’t believe it’s the weapons, guns were just as available when I was a kid as they are now. The types of guns may have changed, but not the availability.

It sickens me to see the politicians are already warming up for another push. They have no shame, and either no understanding or excessive deception.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I've had a contract gig with a school system this school year. All schools in the system have what you want and they are still vulnerable (I will not discuss why/how). I think the only security model that would work would be based on prison systems, which would likely have its own effect on the kids.

The main issue is why people perpetrate mass attacks. I know I sound like an old goat, but there was a time when this shit didn't happen. You could buy an AR15 or HK91 without a background check and walk into the elementary school I went to unchallenged. Yet it didn't happen. There is something seriously wrong with people, and until we address that, all the security in the world won't make it better.
    Your comments made me immediately think back to Jan 2013 and the Connecticut Legislature Office Building. Many concerned CT citizens showed up to testify against proposed "EMERGENCY" legislation. This legislation was a kneejerk reaction to the Sandy Hook school shooting. Henson knocked it out of the park that night. He was later comped a free seat in Larry Vickers CT pistol class because Larry appreciated the video so much.

When I was a kid growing up in the south damn near every pick-up truck had a gun rack in the back window with 2-3 hunting rifles and shotguns in the rack. People would park go in a store, windows down doors unlocked...nobody messed with guns and none of this sh*t happened!

So what the hell has happen to people?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    When I was a kid growing up in the south damn near every pick-up truck had a gun rack in the back window with 2-3 hunting rifles and shotguns in the rack. People would park go in a store, windows down doors unlocked...nobody messed with guns and none of this sh*t happened!

IMHO, lots of things. Lots of angles.

I’m no expert, but it seems like our culture has just shifted so much.

- Marriages end in divorce half the time which leaves questionable structure for kids.
    - We have such conflicting narratives on what right and wrong look like now as a society.
    - IMHO, the explosion of technology has insulated and isolated people and not actually created unity. Instead IMHO there’s a constant torrent of sarcasm, one-ups manship.
    - I belief there’s a spiritual element heavily involved as well. We don’t have a consistent fabric of morals and societal norms.
    - We also unfortunately don’t instill respect for others or authority. We don’t acknowledge or appreciate any authorities in this country whether that be government, spiritual institutions, or masculine.

We’re upside down on priorities IMHO.

It’s why my wife and I look at each other and say “We’re probably going to homeschool our kids”. These parents got a tweet that their kids were in hell on earth and were told to stay away.

You know what two jobs have people leaving in droves? Law Enforcement and Teaching and in my honest opinion. Those are the two institutions in the government that represent societal parents. Law Enforcement brings order, stability, and harmony like a Father. Education raises the kids, teaches them, and shapes them. We are losing both at a catastrophic rate.

I don’t mean to divulge this into a political thread, but I think these are some reasons things happen.

Also, I need to practice dry fire from concealment and order another spare magazine carrier.

ETA: More on technology - I think we can now have a culture and have relationships and withdraw from the society we’re physically in. Thus, creating hugely socially isolated people and kids during developmental years.

ETA 2: To illustrate that last point, a lot of dialogue will probably happen in this thread. How much dialogue will happen in person. Seriously think about it. You may see stuff on social media, you may talk there, you may talk a lot here, but how much will you talk to other humans in real life about this now? I say that to illustrate how much things have changed.

I’m praying for our nation and our kids. It’s sad to see.
    Last edited by BWT; 05-25-2022 at 07:14 AM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Received these from a friend who usually has accurate info.

Texas Shooter.

Name:  A6689228-5ECF-4596-98A7-4770E82210E0.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  22.4 KB
    Name:  2AAC1EA8-9025-4C23-B4EA-C18189F26854.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  23.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post

Furthermore they would park them at the school parking lot with the guns in the rack and nobody raised an eyebrow, let alone calling 911.

"This didn't happen before". Yes it did.

https://www.chds.us/ssdb/charts-graphs/

The deadliest school massacre in the US is still the Bath school massacre in 1927. The number of incidents from 1970 to 2010 fluctuated from year to year but on average seems fairly consistent until the mid 2010s.

What changed is post Columbine everyone realized they could get their 15 minutes of fame and the media at large would be complicit. And again over the past few years to amplify the matter even further was that people could lock themselves in their own self-radicalizing internet echo chamber until they had talked it through with people egging them on enough that actually executing on their plan or "manifesto" was achievable. @Glenn Meyer could probably expound on that last point.

Whether it's relevant to this incident may still be unknown but it is certainly part of the larger trend, and that trend isn't new.

User Tag List