Page 11 of 145 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Shooter Uvalde TX Elementary School

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I know one pawn/gun shop near me where they are very enthusiastic about trying to turn straw purchasers over to LE. I would imagine a straw purchase there would be pretty difficult.

The staff there is pretty convinced spotting it is easy--coming up with enough to hand to LE for a prosecution seems quite difficult, however, if no actual purchase happens.
    Cue the civil rights lawsuit for racial discrimination when a shop exhibits a pattern of refusing to sell firearms to members of a certain group.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Cue the civil rights lawsuit for racial discrimination when a shop exhibits a pattern of refusing to sell firearms to members of a certain group.
    Do you have an example of this happening for an LGS that refuses transactions based on objective facts instead of "we don't serve them kind here"?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Here's a piece on the opposition to ownership of semi auto guns:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/25/o...c-weapons.html

Not to repeat the same thing but the MSR, explaining that is is a nice gun won't negate this world view to the uncommitted.

I note that another theme is starting that since Mr. Salter was killed by the body armored equipped killer, resistance with handguns is futile. In part this comes from North Hollywood also. This brings me back to my view that explicit failure to stop training is something to have in your repertoire. I also shot some steel for the first time in 3 years (it was a practice session on Accelerator). If you know that stage, while static, you have to make efficient shots at 10 and 12 inch plates at 10 yards, 15 yards and 20 yards. That's close to one part of a failure drill targeting. On the first shot of the stage at 10 yards, I could fire 5 almost touching rounds or at least the paint was removed in one big central blob. Obviously under stress who knows but that sort of specific practice on that sort of target is part of what I think is good to attempt. Tom Givens said here, facing body armor, go first for the head.

Listening about the victims today, it made me tear up when driving. This happened after Aurora. I saw a video of a little pudgy kid being wearing a Batman suit being led out of the theater by an officer. That broke me down and still gives me an emotional reaction to think that a little kid had to go through that.

It's behind the paywall, but I realized I didn't want to read it anyway. The "resistance is futile", "don't fight back" mentality is one of the reasons it's easy for these psychos to kill so many people. What part of Run, Hide, Fight do these people not understand? (Obviously it's the Fight part). Some fights can't be won by a single person...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Here's a piece on the opposition to ownership of semi auto guns:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/25/o...c-weapons.html

Not to repeat the same thing but the MSR, explaining that is is a nice gun won't negate this world view to the uncommitted.

I note that another theme is starting that since Mr. Salter was killed by the body armored equipped killer, resistance with handguns is futile. In part this comes from North Hollywood also. This brings me back to my view that explicit failure to stop training is something to have in your repertoire. I also shot some steel for the first time in 3 years (it was a practice session on Accelerator). If you know that stage, while static, you have to make efficient shots at 10 and 12 inch plates at 10 yards, 15 yards and 20 yards. That's close to one part of a failure drill targeting. On the first shot of the stage at 10 yards, I could fire 5 almost touching rounds or at least the paint was removed in one big central blob. Obviously under stress who knows but that sort of specific practice on that sort of target is part of what I think is good to attempt. Tom Givens said here, facing body armor, go first for the head.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    As to academia and your point - after some incident in the past, I was discussing it with a young prof. A really nice guy and a friend. I was known as suggesting campus carry (told the President so and got on TV at the hearings as I've said before). I said: What would you do if someone came into your classroom? He said: What can you do?

That's the idea in some minds. Another nuance is that if someone comes into your classroom you are taken by surprise and behind the curve. That is an empirical question BUT they ignore what about the defender in the next classroom? I recall the Holocaust survivor at Virginia Tech who held the door shut for his students to escape out the windows and was killed through the door. Shouldn't he have had (if he wanted) a better option?
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 05-25-2022 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Looking back at mass shootings, in how many instances were AR rifles used? What's my point? A specific platform is a frequently occurring common denominator. Our 2A narrative must address this as we attempt to justify AR ownership. I have owned at least a dozen and still have two.

Texas law treats AR's as it does any other long gun whether it be single shot shotguns or semi auto 22 rifles. Be 18, pass a background check, pay your money, and walk. Locally according to my cop friends, the AR has played a role in a few of the city's 13 homicides since January. From my seat at the lgs, I see legally eligible buyers purchase them for others. In these instances all have been minority purchasers--same as the homicide victims and their murderers. My point? I'm merely writing what I observe.

I would not be surprised to see Congress change minimal qualifications for purchasing AR's. Raising legal age from 18 to 21 might occur. Giving it Class 3 status is another. I do not object to raising purchase age to 21. Will this change make a difference? I doubt it. However, I can accept this restriction without grumbling.

Some here may not be aware that in the border states with Mexico, buying two or more AR's or two or more short barrel security shotguns within 5 working days requires that the dealer send the purchaser's name to ATF's criminal investigations division. Googling this will provide more information.
    Willie, hold up. You’re observing straw purchases?

Edit: Disregard - asked and answered later.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The same thing I've seen LGS's say in person to obvious straw purchasers: "I'm not comfortable with this transaction and cannot proceed with the sale at this time."

If your LGS is letting obvious straw purchasers buy guns, it's not for lack of ability to say "no"...it's because they're placing their profits over their integrity.
    I won't disagree with you but will say that I think the owner is afraid of having a confrontation characterized by hollering and screaming and cursing and then possibly having to deal with males showing up to continue "complaining".

Whatever I am, I'm not tough. However, I'm not afraid of engaging other people in necessary but unpleasant dialogues. Part of my success has been a genuine concern with making an effort not to offend.

I've never saw one person buy a gun for an ineligible person when both are present. That would be a straw purchase. When the ineligible person is not present, is that a straw purchase? Remember that in these events I profiled the individuals by assuming that one was ineligible. I based the profile on experience, and some would say I stereotyped these persons based on their minority status. Yes. I did stereotype.
    Last edited by willie; 05-25-2022 at 05:52 PM.

Site Supporter
    Lots of background here, assuming legit.

https://thepostmillennial.com/texas-...campaign=64487
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    There are conflicting reports about whether or not the subject was wearing actual body armor or was simply wearing a plate carrier with no plates.

https://www.kens5.com/video/news/loc...6-64863b1d211b

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05...n-legally/amp/

Either way, it seems when the SRO (who was shot) engaged the shooter outside the school it caused the shooter to drop a bag with multiple extra magazines at the entrance to the school, limiting the shooter’s ammunition to what ever was on his person.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-25-2022 at 06:45 PM.

When the ineligible person is not present, is that a straw purchase?
    Yes.

Remember that in these events I profiled the individuals by assuming that one was ineligible. I based the profile on experience, and some would say I stereotyped these persons based on their minority status. Yes. I did stereotype.
    Decisions should be made on objective facts, not racism.

If a sales associate notices the person that showed up today to buy the gun is buying a gun after their male counterpart picked it out yesterday, the LGS is 100% in the right to inquire further about the nature of the sale. If the nature of the sale is not to the satisfaction of the LGS, they are under no obligation to make the sale.

If an LGS owner is so afraid of confrontation, then maybe they shouldn't be in the fucking business of selling killing instruments.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List