Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chanukah

Chanukah

I think I have posted this before, but here is the Chanukah story a little different than most learned it:

Chanukah

Tonight we remember the liberation of the Temple by the Maccabees… Chanukah is not about turning the other cheek, that is not a Jewish virtue, It celebrates victory in battle… 162 years BCE Israel was occupied by Greeks, The Seleucid Empire… They had a massive professional army of 80,000 men in arms occupying Judea… The Greek army was armed with the most advanced arms of the day including phalanxes of spearmen, heavy chariots , ballistae, and war elephants… It was an unbelievable force and nothing in Israel could stand against it in conventional battle…*

One man and his five sons decided rather than live under the yoke of the Greeks, that they would take to the hills and fight… Others joined them and they began to train an army… They smithed swords and shields and used captured Greek weapons to arm themselves … They called their new army The Maccabees which is Hebrew for Hammer… The Greeks hunted them, and vowed their destruction, but the rigid Greek formations could not maneuver in the rugged broken terrain in the hills outside of Jerusalem. In battle the very mobile Maccabee Light infantry refused to charge the formidable the Greek front lines… Instead they charged the flanks, and they hit them like a hammer… When the Greeks would reform to face this new threat, the Israelis would fall back then attack from a different direction before the Greeks could react… Entire Greek columns were slaughtered to the last man this way in the hills surrounding Jerusalem… With every battle, The Maccabees were getting stronger and the Greeks were getting weaker… Soon bulk of the Maccabees were armed with captured Greek weapons…*

As the Greek s losses were mounting, they soon realized that they were in danger of losing the city, so they called for help from their allies, the Syrians… The Syrian Army sent a relief column to assist the Greeks in Jerusalem but when the Syrian scouts saw how the tide had turned, the Commanding General of the Syrian column promptly returned to Syria with his entire army to deal with some urgent internal matters…

In a massively bloody battle, the Maccabees laid siege to Jerusalem and retook the city from the Greeks house by house, street by street, and block by block… As soon as the Temple Mount was liberated, the Cohens that were with the Maccabees set out to purify the Temple Mount even as the battle raged in the streets below… The miracle of Chaanuaka is when the only kosher lamp they had with them was lit by the Cohen on the Temple Mount… It burnt as the Maccabees slowly defeated the remains of the Greek garrison and liberated all of Jerusalem…

So when we light a candle we are remembering the warriors who died in battle fighting hand to hand in the blood soaked streets of Jerusalem for eight days and nights in the shadow of lamp light shining down from the Temple Mount … A lamp that with only one days worth of oil, stayed lit for eight days and nights until all of Jerusalem was free…
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Happy Chanukah Snowflake!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I prefer Hannukah.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I think I have posted this before, but here is the Chanukah story a little different than most learned it:

Chanukah

Tonight we remember the liberation of the Temple by the Maccabees… Chanukah is not about turning the other cheek, that is not a Jewish virtue, It celebrates victory in battle… 162 years BCE Israel was occupied by Greeks, The Seleucid Empire… They had a massive professional army of 80,000 men in arms occupying Judea… The Greek army was armed with the most advanced arms of the day including phalanxes of spearmen, heavy chariots , ballistae, and war elephants… It was an unbelievable force and nothing in Israel could stand against it in conventional battle…*

One man and his five sons decided rather than live under the yoke of the Greeks, that they would take to the hills and fight… Others joined them and they began to train an army… They smithed swords and shields and used captured Greek weapons to arm themselves … They called their new army The Maccabees which is Hebrew for Hammer… The Greeks hunted them, and vowed their destruction, but the rigid Greek formations could not maneuver in the rugged broken terrain in the hills outside of Jerusalem. In battle the very mobile Maccabee Light infantry refused to charge the formidable the Greek front lines… Instead they charged the flanks, and they hit them like a hammer… When the Greeks would reform to face this new threat, the Israelis would fall back then attack from a different direction before the Greeks could react… Entire Greek columns were slaughtered to the last man this way in the hills surrounding Jerusalem… With every battle, The Maccabees were getting stronger and the Greeks were getting weaker… Soon bulk of the Maccabees were armed with captured Greek weapons…*

As the Greek s losses were mounting, they soon realized that they were in danger of losing the city, so they called for help from their allies, the Syrians… The Syrian Army sent a relief column to assist the Greeks in Jerusalem but when the Syrian scouts saw how the tide had turned, the Commanding General of the Syrian column promptly returned to Syria with his entire army to deal with some urgent internal matters…

In a massively bloody battle, the Maccabees laid siege to Jerusalem and retook the city from the Greeks house by house, street by street, and block by block… As soon as the Temple Mount was liberated, the Cohens that were with the Maccabees set out to purify the Temple Mount even as the battle raged in the streets below… The miracle of Chaanuaka is when the only kosher lamp they had with them was lit by the Cohen on the Temple Mount… It burnt as the Maccabees slowly defeated the remains of the Greek garrison and liberated all of Jerusalem…

So when we light a candle we are remembering the warriors who died in battle fighting hand to hand in the blood soaked streets of Jerusalem for eight days and nights in the shadow of lamp light shining down from the Temple Mount … A lamp that with only one days worth of oil, stayed lit for eight days and nights until all of Jerusalem was free…
    Thanks for the history lesson and the reminder of my days in So Cal. Many of my neighbors were of Jewish decent and I recall Hannukah, the solid blue lights decorating the homes, the Star of David flag hanging from the houses, the dreidels, etc. 7 days eight nights as I recall learning. And now I finally see the tie in with a certain Model 25-5! My friends read from the Book of Judith if memory serves and ate potato cakes and cheese dishes.

Happy Hannukah ( Chanukah ) amigo.
    Johnny Walker

I have always enjoyed the fact that many Jewish holy days are actually celebrations of massacres. The story behind Purim is really sumthin - probably a more important question than "Who is John Galt?" is "Who is Amalek?"

Hopefully I'm not Amalek...
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 12-06-2015 at 04:31 PM.

Great story Nyeti.

Son and I were on our Philmont Backpacking Trek in the Sangre de Cristo mountains in NM together in 2010 with the Boy Scouts.

Tradition is that before you start on the trail (our trek was 10 days, 68 miles, 14,500' max el on Mt Phillips with base camp at 6,600') you attend a service 'not' in your Faith, the night before you start out.

We ended up in the Rabbi's group. After making us all feel comfortable, he explained the service and what was going to be said. The book was also in Hebrew, but it translated in English at the back. Phew. We really enjoyed it.

I sometimes wish we would 'exchange churches' during the holidays at home, more like this; might make for better understanding amongst us all.

Happy Hannukah.

Rich
    Last edited by RJ; 12-06-2015 at 04:49 PM.

Very cool. My wife and I are not followers of Judaism but we have a party every year to celebrate Hanukkah. My wife is really something and takes the time to understand different cultures and heritage, everyone really enjoys the party and knowledge that is spread.

Happy Hanukkah everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Thank You. I love warrior history!

Great telling, nyeti.

It begs the question - why did you call your revolver the Hebrew hammer instead of the Macabee?

User Tag List