Page 136 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1446

Thread: Active Shooter Uvalde TX Elementary School

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    I don't mean to be controversial but I say keep the school and use it as a school. Bulldoze it, and make it a memorial that most everyone will forget about soon afterwards? No. Keep the current school and maybe it will be a reminder every year to the staff and leadership to maintain focus on what is important and the consequences of making mistakes. Keep it as living memorial to honor all who perished so unnecessarily there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    I don't know how expensive it would be, but memorial busts of each of the victims down the main entrance hall would make a heck of a statement. At least photos.
    That all might be a bit much for elementary school kids to deal with every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That all might be a bit much for elementary school kids to deal with every day.
    It's "a bit much" for the adults who have to work there to deal with every day. You'd just further traumatize the kids who go to school there.

The damnedest things seem like good ideas when you're a thousand miles away with other peoples' skin in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    The damnedest things seem like good ideas when you're a thousand miles away with other peoples' skin in the game.
    Respectfully, I'm not a thousand miles away. My home is in Caldwell County, TX and I'm just a couple of hours away from Uvalde. I've both driven and ridden through Uvalde multiple times on 90.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Respectfully, I'm not a thousand miles away. My home is in Caldwell County, TX and I'm just a couple of hours away from Uvalde. I've both driven and ridden through Uvalde multiple times on 90.
    That makes it worse, not better. Trying to punish the handful of people who fucked up by making life hell for the people who have to set foot in the school on the regular shows an incredible lack of empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    That makes it worse, not better. Trying to punish the handful of people who fucked up by making life hell for the people who have to set foot in the school on the regular shows an incredible lack of empathy.
    Punish? I'm suggesting remembering and honoring the victims and family members by persevering. We didn't bulldoze the Alamo or scuttle the USS Cole. Bulldoze the school, build a new school, build a memorial else where and a decade later everyone that didn't directly lose a loved one forgets. Forgetting and erasing is in my mind is lack of empathy.

Site Supporter
    It's pretty clear that if you build a big memorial (with busts for example), it becomes shrine for future rampagers. Columbine gets a constant stream of loonies coming to visit and worship there. I've said repeatedly from the literature on these folks that they fantasize the impact their actions will have on the community.

If you have a memorial, have a low key plaque somewhere. As far as taking down the school, I'd go with that if the community wants and building a new one.

TOPS is a different story. First, it was a needed resource for the community. Rebuilding would hurt the community for months. Second, the goal of the racist murderer was to disrupt the African-American community and plunging them back into a food desert is a win for him.

As far as procedures being ignored -when in history hasn't that been the case?

Post New video coming up saying officers were there just few minutes after the gunman

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    First question - is the timestsmo on the video correct ?

I.e. was it actually 11:36 when the video says “11:36”

This can be checked a few ways including checking the camera and comparing vs other video.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    It's pretty clear that if you build a big memorial (with busts for example), it becomes shrine for future rampagers. Columbine gets a constant stream of loonies coming to visit and worship there. I've said repeatedly from the literature on these folks that they fantasize the impact their actions will have on the community.

If you have a memorial, have a low key plaque somewhere. As far as taking down the school, I'd go with that if the community wants and building a new one.

TOPS is a different story. First, it was a needed resource for the community. Rebuilding would hurt the community for months. Second, the goal of the racist murderer was to disrupt the African-American community and plunging them back into a food desert is a win for him.

As far as procedures being ignored -when in history hasn't that been the case?
    Re: Memorials - spot on. Tear down and rebuild with minimal or no memorial. There’s a reason we buried Osama Bin Laden at sea.

Re: procedures -as discussed up thread and in the TX Legislature Interim report - people gonna people but months long maintenance delays and key shortages exacerbate peoples tendency to the path of least resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There’s a reason we buried Osama Bin Laden at sea...

Like a good Islay Single Malt: two shots and a splash of water. Done.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List