Page 132 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1446

Thread: Active Shooter Uvalde TX Elementary School

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I actually had the same thoughts yesterday. I wonder how many doors WERE locked?

ETA - I’m not implying that there was some conspiracy, just that it seems an odd coincidence.
    Didn’t the statements from kids who survived and the 3rd teacher who gave the video interview say something to the effect of “I went to close the door and he was standing there”? The monster could have just seen an open door (if it was propped open).

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Malfunctioning or non used. Whatever you think of Grossman the last training I went with him indicated that when training school staff that their doors need to be kept locked. At at times. To keep bad guys out is a...

Non starter. If your door is locked all the time you need to carry your keys all the time. This is a problem. And one I have seen first hand. It is too inconvienient to carry your keys all the time.

I have framed it from the active shooter side, and from the side of having stuff stolen while on a potty break. Teachers don't care. Keeping thier doors locked and carrying keys is too much work. Work that they don't think they need to be doing...

pat
    I think part of this must stem from what are "your keys." Early in my adult life, I might be driving four or more different cars in a day (and tomorrow's four cars different than today's four cars, none belonging to me). So the idea that I would bother connecting my permanent house/etc. keys to the car keys I was using was silliness. Going on to own multiple vehicles, I kept the habit. House/work/etc. keys on one ring together that still isn't that big and can live in my pocket easily as I go through the day, and vehicle keys separate - whatever I'm going to use that day or that trip. Now, when I get to work, the vehicle key often lives in a desk drawer, while the building keys live in my pocket as I go around the facility through the day. No hassle, no burden.

If a person wants to have all their building keys and a few others (bike lock, luggage, etc.), plus the bulky, heavy remote control fobs for one or more vehicles, a stuffed animal so you can use the carpool lane, a Maglite, some other miscellaneous crap that doesn't need to be on a keychain, and a lanyard to make carrying it all easier, it becomes unmanageable.

Go back to the GM ignition switch issue of several years ago. Whatever the design issues with the switch hardware may or may not have been, it never would have been a problem without people hanging two pounds of crap from their car keys. One or two car keys and a remote, and the rotation will not happen. The amazing thing is that people who own those cars and fully understand the considerations around the ignition switch still hang two pounds of crap from their keys. "It won't happen to me." Just like not wearing a safety belt.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

For 20 years I’ve worked in hospitals where ID cards allow appropriate and reliable access to various portions of the building. With greater than 99% reliability, the doors close behind you and lock. Seriously, leave your hospital ID at home and try to take a dump - ain’t happening. Even poor county facilities and the VA (especially the VA) make it so you can’t walk 20 feet without buzzing thru another door. Oh, and nobody carries keys.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-17-2022 at 10:19 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Sure, but definitely not an even comparison. Again Mike has more relevant experience to discuss the tactics around this in depth but he’s surely pushing his brand and still not an SME on the totality of the situation.

I’m more skeptical of training with guys from this type of crowd because I realized I was sometimes paying for guys who were so used to training only other GBs and SOF that they couldn’t work with less proficient shooters or under the circumstances of different situations. Not that dissimilar from this discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There'll be an Uvalde inspired Fieldcraft course within 6 months.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    For 20 years I’ve worked in hospitals where ID cards allow appropriate and reliable access to various portions of the building. With greater than 99% reliability, the doors close behind you and lock. Seriously, leave your hospital ID at home and try to take a dump - ain’t happening. Even poor county facilities and the VA (especially the VA) make it so you can’t walk 20 feet without buzzing thru another door. Oh, and nobody carries keys.
    Hospitals are different. Sadly each person in the medical field at least knows there job. Access control in a hospital are greater than schools. I don’t mean to knock a teacher. But. It’s a different environment.
    Last edited by camel; 07-17-2022 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    There'll be an Uvalde inspired Fieldcraft course within 6 months.
    I met MG a while back, and instantly liked and respected him. The dude is a total stud and a very lucid speaker in person. That said, this made me LoL. The amount of dough that retired SOF can command for up-marketed coursework is really something. I mean, I’m pretty sure I remember Fieldcraft having had an atlatl course on the books; no reason not to float an active shooter response skew, since it’ll sell out.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Hospitals are different. Sadly each person in the medical field at least knows there job. Access control in a hospital are greater than schools. I don’t mean to knock a teacher. But. It’s a different environment.
    I work in an office that uses the same kind of system in a profession that might as well use "Don't you know who I am?" as it's motto along with service people that range from teenage stoners to folks from the local ARC program to people who could be doing my job if they'd wanted to and we all manage to keep that key card on us. I would be willing to bet that millions of people across the country do too. I think teachers could manage it alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I work in an office that uses the same kind of system in a profession that might as well use "Don't you know who I am?" as it's motto along with service people that range from teenage stoners to folks from the local ARC program to people who could be doing my job if they'd wanted to and we all manage to keep that key card on us. I would be willing to bet that millions of people across the country do too. I think teachers could manage it alright.
    I work in the same type of environment.

If we were to want schools to switch over to this type of system, would need to come up with some way to keep a bad person from ambushing a teacher or other school worker in order to obtain their badge and then have free access to the entire School.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I work in the same type of environment.

If we were to want schools to switch over to this type of system, would need to come up with some way to keep a bad person from ambushing a teacher or other school worker in order to obtain their badge and then have free access to the entire School.
    That's not a tough nut to crack, and there's several solutions that have already been used for decades.

The easiest, most cost-efficient, and most effective one for a school would simply be requiring a pin entry after swiping/inserting/prox'ing the card.

ETA: Like I said a hundred pages ago (or so), none of this physical security stuff is a difficult conundrum that can't be solved. The answers are there, have been for decades, and are readily available COTS solutions.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Had a sensitive places discussion regarding Uvalde and the upcoming NYS state law. It was at a USPSA match where some folks were shooting carry guns - like 365s or G48s. As Karl Rehn has shown performance was down a touch even for practiced shooters.

I was arguing that schools should not be banned apriori but teachers who could demonstrate competency might carry. A high school teacher brought up an interesting point. He is a big guy (as compared to 5' 6" old toot me). His carry gun was the 365 in an IWB. He said that it is not rare for him to have to wrassle with students and he think the risk of being disarmed, losing the gun, etc. is too great and thus he's not that supportive of carry. I asked what if the killer gets in your room - he says that's a point. But I see his point. I suggested pocket carry might be more unobtrusive and more secure. He says that's a point. As a college prof - I never had to wrassle a student. High school that's different. Middle school - perhaps. Now, pocket guns aren't that easy to shoot (yes, I practice, took classes with snubbies), shot specific small gun matches. Interesting discussion. Could I defend my classroom with a J frame - who knows? A G42?

User Tag List