Page 79 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Shooter Uvalde TX Elementary School

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    To be taken out of the fight you first have to be in it, or at least willing to be in it. This guy was on his way to hide under a table with the children when he was shot.
    I watched his interview. Am I to understand he helped the kids hide and then went to lock the door??!? If true, that alone could’ve prevented so much suffering had he prioritized better.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    To be taken out of the fight you first have to be in it, or at least willing to be in it. This guy was on his way to hide under a table with the children when he was shot.
    So the guy decides to make a "business decision" and take cover. He was unarmed, untrained, probably scared out of his mind and not mentally prepared. His planning could have been better (lock door first, then hide). I don't see why he is being dogpiled so heavily. It's like the guys on United 93 should be revered for their actions on 9/11 but the folks on American 11, American 77 and United 175 failed to prevent the towers from falling down. I suspect he may be suffering from survivor's remorse and going through the stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance (would explain some of the crazy things he said in the press). Right now everybody is stuck on anger which will need an outlet no matter who/what it is.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My understanding is that the two rooms were connected by a common restroom. The attacker got into the complex of the two rooms at a point when a teacher was trying to get the door that he entered through locked. He got to it and forced it open before (s)he could get it locked. I'm pretty sure I heard/read the teacher trying to lock the door that he pushed through was female. Which would mean it wasn't this guy. If the attacker entered in the other of the two rooms, what was the status of the restroom doors? What level of locking did they have, and were they hardened to resist forcible entry between the two classrooms?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I don’t know, i think it’s all highly subjective. I do know that for me, I lost a lot of fight about three minutes after I took one .45ACP 230gr HP and my Georgetown surgeon used me as a teaching example of someone with a high pain tolerance. I doubt that teacher was prepared mentally and he did take three rounds of 5.56.
    He might have been in shock. That does strange things to different people as it obviously did for that teacher. People in shock sometimes live longer than expected because of the bodies reaction to preserve core function. 3rd degree burns are an example. No way to survive but it still happens for a short period like a few days.

I had a some 2nd degree burns, about 20%, in a fire fighting exercise in the Navy. Shock will shut you down PDQ. Lots of pain to deal with but hopefully you can get the proper treatment.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-08-2022 at 10:09 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

People not currently in an excruciating amount of pain often have an inaccurate view of what people in an excruciating amount of pain can do.

Even if you accomplished certain things while in an excruciating amount of pain, if you were to go back in time and tell yourself you could do that you wouldn't believe yourself before you did it.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    People not currently in an excruciating amount of pain often have an inaccurate view of what people in an excruciating amount of pain can do.

Even if you accomplished certain things while in an excruciating amount of pain, if you were to go back in time and tell yourself you could do that you wouldn't believe yourself before you did it.
    I concur with your thoughts. I work at a Level 1 trauma center. The only type of people who still are combative and require security to help restrain them despite serious wounds (gun shot wounds, penetrating and blunt force traumas) are the ones on drugs like PCP, bath salts, meth, alcohol and other potent stimulants. It is amazing how much of a struggle they put up!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    The amount of total misinformation surrounding this incident still is astounding. And I'm not referring to the poorly handled Crisis Communications aspect. I'm talking about the amount of verifiable false bullshit that people still believe. Folks views of the timelines, the actual events, the capabilities of the authorities involved.....its fucking crazy town. My fellow citizens seem to think their local School Police are Tier 1 Snake Eaters with unlimited resources, equipment, surveillance capabilities, etc. Theyre complete lack of civics knowledge regarding law enforcement powers and responsibilities, limits on LE powers, etc. I'm so glad I'm getting out of this game.

This is not to say I don't think it's possible, even likely, that some MAJOR errors were made here....and some folks are coverin' their butts now. But ya know.....the country gets the policing it asked for. Why is anybody surprised at this? Appalled maybe....but surprised?
    I listened to a Jocko podcast and he said something about this. Never rely on the first report and he said he’ll form/express opinions at a later date. I was like “that’s a good idea”, at this point doors being open / not being open, bortac going in there and saving folks or not, and just so many other huge discrepancies like there was a district SRO but then there was an on-premise one. Parents being arrested and tazed, then maybe not?

It’s insane. I forgot the golden rule with media on this one - I haven’t watched the news for years because I was tired of spin and honestly if it’s truly important - I hear about it from others. Why would I suddenly start relying on the media now. We literally have a trend of news sources using other news sources information / reports to get a report out.

It’s clear it this has been mishandled what is surprising is… however long it’s been now it’s still being mishandled. I hope some competent investigation transpires over this.

Also, any gun control is a big deal. It’s funny to me and we should use the same analogy to combat gun control age requirements rising for gun ownership as was used to lower the vote age. If they’re too young to own a rifle - how come they’re old enough to go serve this country and go to combat with one?

We lowered the voting age for that reason.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I listened to a Jocko podcast and he said something about this. Never rely on the first report and he said he’ll form/express opinions at a later date. I was like “that’s a good idea”, at this point doors being open / not being open, bortac going in there and saving folks or not, and just so many other huge discrepancies like there was a district SRO but then there was an on-premise one. Parents being arrested and tazed, then maybe not?

It’s insane. I forgot the golden rule with media on this one - I haven’t watched the news for years because I was tired of spin and honestly if it’s truly important - I hear about it from others. Why would I suddenly start relying on the media now. We literally have a trend of news sources using other news sources information / reports to get a report out.

It’s clear it this has been mishandled what is surprising is… however long it’s been now it’s still being mishandled. I hope some competent investigation transpires over this.

Also, any gun control is a big deal. It’s funny to me and we should use the same analogy to combat gun control age requirements rising for gun ownership as was used to lower the vote age. If they’re too young to own a rifle - how come they’re old enough to go serve this country and go to combat with one?

We lowered the voting age for that reason.
    The SRO thing has been addressed. That particular piece of misinformation appears to have been the result of taking “eye witness” accounts at face value. Just because someone saw something doesn’t mean they know the context of what they saw.

- There was no SRO on campus, nor is it normal to have an SRO at an elementary school full time.
    - There was an SRO patrolling nearby
    - The SRO responded to initial reports of a man with a gun behind the school
    - The shooter hid when the SROs vehicle went by
    - SRO located and contacted a man behind the school who turned out to be a teacher. This is where the bullshit stories about an SRO “confronting but not shooting the shooter” came from. People taking some thing they saw out of context. The SRO did not shoot the man he confronted behind the school because that person was unarmed and was not the shooter.
    - Said SRO was one of the initial officers to enter the school with UPD after the shooter

Regarding the voting age, 18-20 year olds in the military are subject to significant supervision and structure for the sane reasons the drinking and original voting age were set at 21. Brain development.

Brain development hasn’t changed since the founders originally set the voting age at 21 but the context in which long guns are viewed has changed since the age for buying long guns was set at 18.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-09-2022 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Regarding the voting age, 18-20 year olds in the military are subject to significant supervision and structure for the sane reasons the drinking and original voting age were set at 21. Brain development.
    I’d even argue that in most cases male brain development isn’t fully cooked until 25 or so - it takes that long for executive function to fully develop. Females seem to get there a few years earlier.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’d even argue that in most cases male brain development isn’t fully cooked until 25 or so - it takes that long for executive function to fully develop. Females seem to get there a few years earlier.
    There's a reason insurance companies give you a big break at 25.

User Tag List