Thread: US oilfield work

US oilfield work

Do we have any energy workers on here? I’m hearing from relatives that the energy industry is booming again.
    #RESIST

The industry is pretty desperate for good workers right now. Crews are staffed with newbies and we're seeing an uptick in incidents, injuries, and generally inefficiency in a lot of ways.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Booming but not necessarily in drilling like you’d expect at 100 plus oil prices.

Site Supporter
    @JodyH

pat

Everyone is running hard but supply chain and employees are limiting it. Materials are getting extremely hard to get some with a year plus lead so if you didn’t already have it in your budget and plans last year it’s probably not happening this year.

West Texas and Southeast NM is the hottest oilfield in the world currently.
    Everybody is hiring. Wages can be ridiculous.
    If you can pass a drug test, have a clean driving record (CDL a bonus) and are mechanically inclined you can make $100,000/yr. starting pay easily (in an area with traditionally low COL).
    Downsides are this area is not for everybody. If you like trees, too bad, we don't have any.
    Summers are hot, dry and dusty.
    The work can be fairly strenuous, long hours and dirty. Most companies take safety pretty seriously but the industry is still dangerous.
    Cost of living for newcomers to the area is very high, finding a place to sleep will be difficult and stupidly expensive for what you get.
    There's a long distance between everything, I commute 115 miles a day to work a 12 hour shift, so I'm away from home 15.5 hours a day or so while on shift.
    Good part is I work 14 days on 14 days off, so with vacation I work less than half the year and the pay is very good.
    I could double + my income easily with all the overtime I desire, anytime I desire.
    If you're a single man there aren't any single women, it's a giant sausage fest.
    If you want long term stability look into "midstream" jobs not exploration, production or support services.
    Anything specific ask away, I've been in this industry since 1991.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I live in Eastern Ohio, Utica Shale territory. I've seen more trucks on the road lately. Yesterday I drove to town and back a couple times. About a 20 minute round trip. I saw 10 Sand Boxes, the trucks that haul sand for fracking, and I saw 8 water bottles, the trucks hauling water for fracking. Definitely more activity recently. Somebody's fracking somewhere.

User Tag List