Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P365xl vs P320 for me, how much slower? Timers and targets don't lie

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Does that similar permirmance level include one handed shooting?
    Good question, and probably something each person needs to sort out. JHC tells me he shoots his 43 better with one hand than his G45, but that may be a single anecdote.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Tomorrow I will shoot a G19 w/ 407C and a 365xl w/ 507K on a two hand, right hand, and left hand Rogers drill and post the results, perhaps someone will find it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don’t find enough shooting performance difference between a 365 XL and a 320/G 19 to be enough to matter in most practical defensive applications.
    So, I kind of thought of that before. Am I over thinking it? Does a few tenths of second from drill to drill make that much difference in practical defensive applications? I guess for me it is kind of a moot point as I can almost always AIWB the pistol I shoot the most fast and best with comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Am I over thinking it? Does a few tenths of second from drill to drill make that much difference in practical defensive applications?
    I ran this test because I have been convinced over many years by influencers, trainers, and personal experience that I am either carrying a "real gun" meaning service size pistol or compact service size pistol, or else my ability to fight with it is very compromised because I am carrying a "little gun" or "pocket gun", etc.

I am concluding that the P365xl is not one that leaves me seriously "pocket gun" disadvantaged, and is a worthy replacement for when the EDC wardrobe would still allow the service size pistol, at least in the context of my life choices. Said in a PF way, the P365xl for certain ain't the thing that is going to get me kiltindastreetz. That is all.

I am going to run the tests again, next time P320C, P365xl, G19gen5 for my own curiosity, and adjust the two drills I ran based on some suggestions in the thread, run strong hand/weak hand only strings, and then some of the well known "high performance" single target drills. Its only about measuring me vs me in every case.

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing the results of your next tests.

@fatdog
    @medmo

I struggle mightily with this rabbit hole.

Because “carry what you shoot the best” would have me carrying a 45 ounce gamer gun with 2# trigger and 9mm that’s weaker than some 380 ACP.

It’s a slippery slope with no end. I think the best we can do is like fatdog is doing, make the most informed decisions we can.

Eventually, I settled on just setting an objective performance benchmark I would like with whatever I carry and if it meets that, consider it “good enough.”

I like the No Fail plus Bakersfield.

I’ve used FBI handgun qual at 50/50 point requirement too.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    settled on just setting an objective performance benchmark I would like with whatever I carry and if it meets that, consider it “good enough.”
    Mostly where I have been for a long time, using the Rangemaster instructor Q course and demanding 95% or better to carry the gun. I can do that with the P365xl once I got a Wilson grip in place. But I was still having the long planted doubts that it was a "small gun" nearly "pocket pistol" and the course was a par time thing and could not measure performance beyond making those hits within time as scored, that drove me to this comparative exercise, to say how much of a difference is there really.

Clearly an OCD subject for me.

Name:  rabbit hole.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  90.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Mostly where I have been for a long time, using the Rangemaster instructor Q course and demanding 95% or better to carry the gun. I can do that with the P365xl once I got a Wilson grip in place. But I was still having the long planted doubts that it was a "small gun" nearly "pocket pistol" and the course was a par time thing and could not measure performance beyond making those hits within time as scored, that drove me to this comparative exercise, to say how much of a difference is there really.

Clearly an OCD subject for me.
    I really enjoy seeing your thought process and empiric testing.

Thanks again for sharing!

I shoot my 365XL better with the addition of a Hogue grip than without. At first I was worried it would defeat the purpose of carrying a slim gun, but have not found that it made the gun print more AIWB under a T-shirt.

Cold on Rogers Test 4, two to the body one to the head on two targets, reload and shoot an additional three targets, I faired better with the 365xl (8/9)than the 19(6/9). Then on a Rogers 16 shot blast drill, I shot better with the 19 (12/16) than the 365xl (9/16) strong hand. I then shot better with the 365xl weak hand(12/16) than 19 (7/16).

Need to do more testing, not enough data.
    Last edited by Dave Williams; 05-26-2022 at 12:09 PM.

User Tag List