Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun SCS

I handled a MOS with SCS this afternoon at the LGS. I was pleasantly surprised.

This one was circle dot, which seemed busy. Is the reticle switchable?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I handled a MOS with SCS this afternoon at the LGS. I was pleasantly surprised.

This one was circle dot, which seemed busy. Is the reticle switchable?
    Yeah, you can change it. I like mine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That hasn't been my experience at all. I do think Holosun and many Chinese products have a U-shaped failure rate curve. Either they die young, or last a long time. So definitely test new units hard. Fortunately Holosun has good CS.
    I have 4 Holosun, and this has been my experience. 3 sights chugging along, and 1 dead out of box.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I'm like 5/7 re: holosun products. The two that were duds were replaced with minimal hassle

Site Supporter
    I would be excited about this if it was red.

Light sensor

Anyone have feedback on how they like the light sensor? Bright enough? Work okay?

I’m thinking of putting this on an MOS.

It’s been working ok, few hundred rounds through one on a Gen 5 Glock 19. Screwing around it responds ok with an x300 u. I can duplicate an issue where less light inside and aim out a window if it’s bright outside and not be able to see the reticle. Hit the button to go to the bright mode and you can easily see it. I like that it’s low profile, but with my very limited experience with pistol rds, I will probably go with something else here in a few months. I have also messed around with a rmr and a p2 Acro.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Anyone have feedback on how they like the light sensor? Bright enough? Work okay?

I'm a few months into mine. It's on a G45 I use for testing new stuff. I find that the dot is a little brighter than I would like in most lighting conditions. I found it especially true when zeroing. I know that the center of the dot is still the center of the dot regardless of brightness, but the brighter dot is just a little visually "busy" when trying to be precise. I did not attempt to cover any part of the optic to force it to dim for zeroing, so maybe that would work. I would imagine that for 90%+ of the people that will buy an SCS, they will still get a perfectly acceptable zero that far exceeds anything they could do with irons.

My very limited testing in low light and especially transitioning between various lighting conditions is that the SCS is almost instantaneous and almost always gets it right. It really is impressive to pan the optic across an area that goes from light to dark, or to turn on the lights or a handheld or weapon light in a dark room and watch the brightness adjust immediately. The overall brightness experience is that the dot remains very consistent against whatever background you throw at it. I have not had a chance to test extensively against photonic barriers like car headlights, floodlights, etc. If it's going to choke, that's where it will happen. The brightness override feature (quick tap the single button to go to max brightness for thirty seconds) may help with that and be a novel solution versus having to turn your manual adjust optic up three settings or something. Overall, I feel like they could have included manual brightness on this thing, though. I have several Holosun green dots and I keep them set dimmer than the SCS tends to set itself.

No issues with the battery. The gun and optic live in a Pelican most of the time and I have not found it dead or dim getting it out.

Banned
    Very happy with the SCS on my G34. I only use Holosun optics because I love the green dot + circle combo. I have had issues with a 508T-GR but they replaced it without a fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

I recently acquired one for a G17.5 MOS and find the dot to be too bright for the utmost in precision at 25 yards, but pretty much spot on for govt. work. It transitions fast and is very bright normally.

But shooting B8s at 25, I'd prefer to dim it as to my eyes the dot covers the center of the B8 plus some up and to the right of the 10 ring.

User Tag List