Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Holosun SCS

Somebody wake me up with the version for the CZ P10C is released. I'd very much be able to have a direct mount optic.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Does anyone know where the photovoltaic sensors are located on the SCS?

I'd like to play around lowering the brightness, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    Does anyone know where the photovoltaic sensors are located on the SCS?

I'd like to play around lowering the brightness, if possible.
    When we got an SCS in to look at the first thing I did was mount it and put it in the factory box for over a month in a covered shelf. After that I took it out, removed the slide, and put a piece of electrical tape over the solar panel. I left the slide and optic on a file cabinet in a room that is brightly lit pretty much 24hrs a day for around a month and a half. This was all to check brightness and battery. In an indoor setting, the brightness adjustment continued to work with the tape over the solar panel. After that I took the optic outside in bright daylight and the optic would only adjust so bright. I took the tape off and it started to work normally.

So... I remember hearing that there were multiple light sensors and that seems to be true. I think at least one of them is integrated into the solar panel, but that’s not the only way it adjusts... I couldn’t figure out how it worked other than with tape over the solar panel it wouldn’t get “sufficiently” bright outdoors but seemed to work and adjust normally indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    When we got an SCS in to look at the first thing I did was mount it and put it in the factory box for over a month in a covered shelf. After that I took it out, removed the slide, and put a piece of electrical tape over the solar panel. I left the slide and optic on a file cabinet in a room that is brightly lit pretty much 24hrs a day for around a month and a half. This was all to check brightness and battery. In an indoor setting, the brightness adjustment continued to work with the tape over the solar panel. After that I took the optic outside in bright daylight and the optic would only adjust so bright. I took the tape off and it started to work normally.

So... I remember hearing that there were multiple light sensors and that seems to be true. I think at least one of them is integrated into the solar panel, but that’s not the only way it adjusts... I couldn’t figure out how it worked other than with tape over the solar panel it wouldn’t get “sufficiently” bright outdoors but seemed to work and adjust normally indoors.
    Would you run one?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Would you run one?
    (Trying real hard not to be too wordy….)

I have used auto adjust optics and for a CCW/off-duty I don’t think they’re too bad. For duty I strongly prefer manual adjust. That remains my opinion with the SCS, though my limited practical experience has been positive with it.

I’m not a huge fan of green dots. Even with correction (glasses or contacts) the dot isn’t as crisp as red and I don’t perceive it as bright as red. As we’ve discussed in other threads this is a “me” thing and YMMV.

I would certainly run one but given that I can have a manual adjust enclosed emitter red dot in the EPS Carry or 509T or ACRO, I would prefer those for carry and/or duty.

I've noticed the trick with the solar panel, by using my finger. I shoot under a cover typically from dark to light. It will be interesting to see if it adjusts at all with the tape trick to this situation. I want to be able to reduce the brightness.

I find the dot alone to be extremely bright. The purported 2 MOA becomes more like 5-6 MOA to my eyes. It's better to me using the dot and circle. Oddly, the circle alone seems to have the lowest brightness on both my copies of the SCS, which is about perfect, but I don't like the sight picture without a dot.

I wonder if it’s a sensor or in order to get max brightness boost it requires active power supply from the solar panel.

To prevent rapid drain.

So not sure if it’s a sensor issue versus failure to boost without active extra power?

Banned
    Well, I like my SCS MOS enough to have just ordered an SCS M&P. I haven’t shot the SCS outside, but I have had zero issues with brightness (in either direction) indoors at different ranges. No desire to play with the sensors at all.

So far, I like my SCS. I got impatient when buying mine and overpaid. So far, so good though.

Unhappy Holosun SCS ISSUE: Crazy scattered bits of green--AND red bits of light

After about 10 months of use on the range my SCS on my Glock 19 Gen 5 has been acting up lately.

The last couple times out there, it works fine for about the 1st 150 rounds but then the sight picture goes crazy with a bunch of not only green, but also tiny red dots all around. The primary green dot is still there, but amid all the other scattered bits of green--and red. I let my trainer look and he saw that too. Anyone know anything about this?

User Tag List