Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911-like CO gun

1911-like CO gun

I'm thinking about transitioning from my 9mm 1911 used primarily in Steel Challenge and occasional USPSA matches to Carry Optics. The white sand backgrounds in Idaho in combination with white targets and fixed focus eyes post cataract surgery can make iron sights a bit of a challenge. I don't need anything exotic, but the grip angle needs to track a 1911 (I carry a Staccato C w/ optics), the TPW after 'smithing should be no more than 4 lbs, and I'd like to be able to do some tuning to allow softer loads for Steel Challenge; I'd give most weight to the trigger but don't expect it to be 1911-like. I don't have a post-1911 brand loyalty.

It appears only DA (hammer) and striker guns are allowed in SC, might be different for USPSA where the draw isn't weighted as heavily.

If nothing stands out I may have to use my Staccato or an optics-equipped full-size in Open, but while I'm way over the hill I would at least like to be on a relatively level playing field equipment-wise.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    It appears only DA (hammer) and striker guns are allowed in SC, might be different for USPSA where the draw isn't weighted as heavily.
    Unfortunately, this is the same for USPSA Carry Optics - no single action guns (DA or striker fired only). IDPA Carry Optics does allow 2011s now with the most recent rules revision (and I've already seen a surprising number of them).
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Unfortunately, this is the same for USPSA Carry Optics - no single action guns (DA or striker fired only). IDPA Carry Optics does allow 2011s now with the most recent rules revision (and I've already seen a surprising number of them).
    What about a CZ Shadow or Shadow 2 for USPSA CO division?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    What about a CZ Shadow or Shadow 2 for USPSA CO division?
    Yeah, I'd say these are probably the best choices for the OPs wishes (hammer down DA start required). Perhaps the Beretta 92X Performance merits honorable mention.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

If nothing stands out I may have to use my Staccato or an optics-equipped full-size in Open,
    By Jove, I believe he's got it.
    I recently saw a CO-Open gun that looked like a good combination.
    It had a compensator, therefore Open, but the dot was a SRO on the slide like a CO. I like the idea of the lower line of sight.

Failing that, my S&W Plastic M&P has the nearest to 1911 grip angle I have seen and is available "optic ready."
    Weight is light by current standards and Apexes Best won't equal a single action trigger.

Everybody likes CZ and TZ but you have to learn the crunch tick.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    By Jove, I believe he's got it.
    I recently saw a CO-Open gun that looked like a good combination.
    It had a compensator, therefore Open, but the dot was a SRO on the slide like a CO. I like the idea of the lower line of sight.

Failing that, my S&W Plastic M&P has the nearest to 1911 grip angle I have seen and is available "optic ready."
    Weight is light by current standards and Apexes Best won't equal a single action trigger.

Everybody likes CZ and TZ but you have to learn the crunch tick.

Yep, that's exactly where I am, too old and too stubborn to change platforms. We've got two Kimber HD Pro Carry II converted to 9mm, one with an optic. I'm going to take if for a spin, but the milled RDS installation is so low that I don't have to "find" the dot on the draw. I actually like the balance of the shorter barrel versus my normal 5". Might have to get a minor TPW tweak, but the 4.5 lbs. is fine for now; still a good 1911 trigger. I'll have to put an RDS on one of our full-size guns since the RDS-equipped Kimber is my wife's HD gun. I can still use the Staccato for the occasional IDPA match.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Apexes Best won't equal a single action trigger.
    As you probably know they have a matrix showing the possible spring combination, I went with the lightest return spring with the heaviest sear spring and that might be something you might want to consider.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

P320's are pretty 1911's-ish and there's a bunch of competition support for them....
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

My Plastic M&P was tuned by Dan Burwell. It takes a good selection of Apex parts to equal it.

I had a brief trial of a P320 and did not think it was real 1911ish. But the place is crawling with them, so there must be something attractive there.

A friend has gone XD. His guns with Powder River Precision triggers are quite good.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Multiple 2011 shooters have told me that the 320 Legion grip feels most like a 2011.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List