Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: FN is launching a new pistol

Site Supporter
    In reference to the "appendage" on the back of the slide...

From the video: "The tactical locking plate makes cocking easier."

I love how they don't bother to explain the most bizarre feature on the gun.

EDIT: Actually, I'm thinking it's just a thing to help you grasp/rack the slide. Like the "ears" on a VP9. Something had convinced it was some kinda lever/decocker/cocker/safety or something... that did something. Oh well.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 06-01-2022 at 03:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Probably designed by a committee of dozens all of whom were required to wear glasses like these...

Attachment 89647
    I agree about committee design. I may have set a record on the number of these FN pistols owned. Long ago I concluded that FN should have sought out a couple retired American firearm engineers to guide them. Another wise move would have been input from advanced hobbyists and other categories of shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Wait, where is the slide release? Is it integrated into the mag release?
    I see what looks like a small but well positioned thumb safety, so is it that block on the back?
    I am so confused the more I look at it.
    I’m guessing the thumb safety is actually the slide release. Or something. I’m just so confused by the design.

A bit more info on a pistol made of unobtainium or didntwantnoneium depending on your point of view.

https://www.guns.com/news/2022/06/02...per-9mm-pistol

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    A bit more info on a pistol made of unobtainium or didntwantnoneium depending on your point of view.

https://www.guns.com/news/2022/06/02...per-9mm-pistol
    It's interesting, indeed. But, for me, more and more new guns land hard into the Zone of Nope.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It's interesting, indeed. But, for me, more and more new guns land hard into the Zone of Nope.
    I agree, Stephanie. There's constantly interesting stuff being launched, but for me usually they're weapons of mass distraction, offering essentially negligable improvements, but causing me to dive into expenditures for holsters, magazines, practice to wring out and then establish proper muscle memories, etc. At the end of most days, the juice simply doesn't justify the squeeze.

As much as I might be intrigued in the latest and (ostensibly) greatest offering, the reality is that what I have on hand (Glock, HK, Beretta, FN, 1911, Ruger) successfully addressy my needs, and my skill set hasn't outrun their intrinsic capabilities.

Best, Jon

PREDICTION
    2 years from now:

"Hi! Welcome to Forgotten Weapons. I am your host, Ian McCollum, and today we are looking at quite an odd pistol. This, is the FN HiPer pistol. It was announced in 2022 as "the next world benchmark for military and law enforcement handguns". Ohhh, how wrong they were. Lets take a look at how this pistol was designed, and we will see just how far off the folks at FN really were..."
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I agree, Stephanie. There's constantly interesting stuff being launched, but for me usually they're weapons of mass distraction, offering essentially negligable improvements, but causing me to dive into expenditures for holsters, magazines, practice to wring out and then establish proper muscle memories, etc. At the end of most days, the juice simply doesn't justify the squeeze.

As much as I might be intrigued in the latest and (ostensibly) greatest offering, the reality is that what I have on hand (Glock, HK, Beretta, FN, 1911, Ruger) successfully addressy my needs, and my skill set hasn't outrun their intrinsic capabilities.

Best, Jon
    I had this thought the other day going through my handgun inventory and cleaning / Slip2000 touching things up. Maintaining the Beretta APX I got for $324 shipped it occurred to me that it’s one of my least expensive and least used guns and is almost certainly capable of serving a reliable, effective 15-20 years on a duty belt. We are spoiled for good choices these days. Makes the iffy choices an even harder sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

This thread prompted me to take a hard look at what I have; while more tempted by the Beretta APX A1 (as opposed to FN-anything...), frankly, my HK VP more than adequately fulfills the niche. Yeah, my VP is a VP40 as opposed to a VP9, but for me the .40 vs 9mm isn't a big deal one way or another. And of course there are my Glocks (G17, 19, 21, 22/31...)

Yeah, Bright Shiney New Things are tempting and can be fun. But the real questions for me (sample size of one...) is 1) Will they intrinsically provide operational and/or logistical improvements? 2) Am I approaching the end of the forecasted lifespan on any platform? 3) What are my REAL total acquisition expenditures (gun, fees, holsters, magazines, any additional key components (AKA subordonite Bright Shiney Things)? 4) Does the juice truly and reasonably justify the squeeze?

In my case, my VP40 is exceptionally ergonomic, tailorable with both backstraps and side panels, exceptionally accurate, I have spare magazines, holsters, magazine pouches, and have had an excellent and customer-support oriented relationship with HK CS.

I'd be an idiot to change horses.

Yeah, analysis and a splash of cold water to the face of reality can be a real buzz-kill....

Best, Jon

User Tag List