Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: FN is launching a new pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hopefully this is actually something with some new ideas.
    If that is indeed a downward sliding mag release, that I think it would be something of a new idea. Well, HK has levers at the very corner of the trigger guard, but this HiperMystery pistol seems to have a sliding button (really a lever which stays flush against the grip) moved back on the grip. I can't recall any other pistol which has that sort of thing in that location.

And this is enough to make me pay attention on 31 May. If I don't forget in 6 days. That seems to happen to me.

Bart Noir

https://fnherstal.com/en/defence/por...pons/fn-hiper/

Looks weird. Allegedly FNH decided that FN USA wasn't cutting the mustard with the 509 and decided to roll up their sleeves and generate a design themselves, so some strange design choices picked by folks that aren't actually pistol shooters.

https://www.events.fnherstal.com/en currently hosts a video on the front page.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    "Particular attention has been paid to the assembly of the different sub-assemblies of the pistol, to ensure optimal reliability..."

Do FN marketing videos usually sound like they were inspired by the Turbo-Encabulator?

Also, the "tactical locking plate" appears to have wings similar to the VP9 - do people find these useful? Are they helpful for those with reduced grip strength?

That pistol looks atrocious. BUIS that, front and back, could double as an edged weapon. Weird levers. Marketing department inspired name.

What was the matter with the 509?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That pistol looks atrocious. BUIS that, front and back, could double as an edged weapon. Weird levers. Marketing department inspired name.

Management has ADD?

Seriously, bringing out brand new pistols every couple of years just makes it more likely that people won't buy your pistols. Why invest in holsters, mags, parts, and so on when the manufacturer is just going to dump it and go with something else in 3-4 years?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Just LOL at how sharp those sights look. I can replace my Clinch Picks with that front sight.

Different enough to be interesting. Sights don't bother me simply because chances of me keeping factory sights on any gun are next to zero. Curious about mag changes and slide lock reloads, and how it shoots.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

It looks like somebody at FN got ahold of an APX and then proceeded to disfigure it. That might be the most boring, soulless looking gun I have ever laid eyes on. I honestly want one just to beat the tar out of it and see if FN really did their homework on it being as rugged as they claim.

The magazine release I feel is going to either make it or break it for a lot of folks, but I'm willing to bet it goes heavily in the camp of the latter. Stop trying to re-invent the wheel in this case. Even folks like HK and Walther got their act together and went "yeah, paddle may be a better beast but everyone is used to buttons so we'd better just get with the game".

I would imagine the racking plate on the back could be removed, but I also wonder how much effort it would take to break it. Think along the lines of very aggressive one-handed manipulations utilizing it.

You'd figure gaining the contract at LAPD would maybe get them to tweak the 509 a bit and make the trigger not garbage, because that's really the only negative aspect of the 509 I've been able to find. They should've honestly just worked up that gun instead of putting this out, because like Default.mp3 said, this looks like something some engineering team put together with NO input from anyone who shoots more than 2 boxes of ammo a year.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    From what I heard, was mostly just an issue that it wasn't Belgian. NIH and all that.

Most likely a handgun that'll do okay with FNH institutional customers, and no one else, is my guess. You know, the folks that bought F2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
    "Particular attention has been paid to the assembly of the different sub-assemblies of the pistol, to ensure optimal reliability..."

Do FN marketing videos usually sound like they were inspired by the Turbo-Encabulator?
    Of course not.

They sound like the RETRO-Encabulator
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List