Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: FN is launching a new pistol

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Wait, where is the slide release? Is it integrated into the mag release?
    I see what looks like a small but well positioned thumb safety, so is it that block on the back?
    I am so confused the more I look at it.
    The "thumb safety" is apparently the slide release.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I was trying to keep an open mind about this one. Then I saw how complicated and how many parts that magazine release has and have to come to the conclusion that this is what you get when you mix the worst aspects of German and French engineering into one pistol.

French speaking Belgian engineer: Let us make a completely different system than what anyone else has used to retain and release magazines because.

German Speaking Belgian engineer: Ja Ja and I will design it so it is full of linkages and tiny springs and roll pins.
    A highlight in my life was listening to a German mechanical engineer bitching about German mechanical engineering. Was a 5/5 rant, would listen to again.

Back on topic, my lord is that an ugly pistol and that’s coming from a guy that actually likes Glock aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Back on topic, my lord is that an ugly pistol and that’s coming from a guy that actually likes Glock aesthetics.
    I’m a guy who thinks Walther pistols look just fine, and I’ll say this thing looks like the Steyr M9 and a Taurus G3 had a child they were embarrassed to let leave the house.

To answer an earlier query, I do believe it’s uglier than a Hi Point.

And when a main selling point for your pistol is just that the controls are “unique” without describing how they are actually better than the alternatives, you’re off to a bad start. Lots of things are unique in a bad way. Lots of things.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm pretty sure that thing is a Robot in Disguise.

I am rather surprised that on a generally performance-oriented board people care how this thing looks as opposed to how it runs, shoots, recoils and tracks. I don't really care about the look; I actually think it looks better than XD, most Caniks, and many Walthers.

The two things that make me wonder is an optic cut and trigger guard. Optic cut seems to be a bit too forward; @GJM pointed that out. Trigger guard is slanted forward and may push the support hand down. On the other hand, this could be because the undercut is so high, which means that the strong hand will be really high up too.
    I kinda hope they bring it to the US for us to check it out.
    Last edited by YVK; 06-01-2022 at 12:25 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am rather surprised that on a generally performance-oriented board people care how this thing looks as opposed to how it runs, shoots, recoils and tracks.
    Since FNH has deigned us unacceptable to purchase it - our choice is judge it by how ugly it is.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am rather surprised that on a generally performance-oriented board people care how this thing looks as opposed to how it runs, shoots, recoils and tracks. I don't really care about the look; I actually think it looks better than XD, most Caniks, and many Walthers.

The two things that make me wonder is an optic cut and trigger guard. Optic cut seems to be a bit too forward; @GJM pointed that out. Trigger guard is slanted forward and may push the support hand down. On the other hand, this could be because the undercut is so high, which means that the strong hand will be really high up too.
    I kinda hope they bring it to the US for us to check it out.
    Fair point.

My big concern is more than likely this may require adjusting/shifting the firing hand grip versus the H&K paddle or commonly used button for ejection. Your thumb would have to be used to swipe that magazine release (I don’t think you could remove or swipe with digits on the other hand)

You know, thinking about this - FN may be releasing this stateside with a button release later on and they know the US market and thats coming. That would make sense.

In Europe this may be a super fail-safe from the magazine being released. I joked about heel releases. But they do like things like that and magazine safeties.

FN - all jokes aside on how unsightly this is - did realize there was a BHP market and re-introduced it in short order. They’re pretty sharp. We will see.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Aesthetics aren’t usually my thing, but dang that is horrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Aesthetics aren’t usually my thing, but dang that is horrible!
    Probably designed by a committee of dozens all of whom were required to wear glasses like these...

Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 446
Size:  4.9 KB
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Fair point.

My big concern is more than likely this may require adjusting/shifting the firing hand grip versus the H&K paddle or commonly used button for ejection. Your thumb would have to be used to swipe that magazine release (I don’t think you could remove or swipe with digits on the other hand)

That's why it would be interesting to finger one and see how it worked. The motion would be similar to decocking a classic SIG but location of a button is more favorable and the throw should be shorter.

I doubt they'll redesign it for the US market. FNH has been the only maker (unless I am missing somebody else) who has tried to compete with HK in bringing fully ambi designs to the market. I believe that FNH's prior versions of ambi mag releases didn't cut it and this is their next stab at it.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Since FNH has deigned us unacceptable to purchase it - our choice is judge it by how ugly it is.
    I am sure that a history of US agencies effectively demanding push buttons in their solicitations had nothing to do with FNH decision.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List