Thread: Here’s a mini rabbit hole for y’all: vintage martial arts demo reels

Here’s a mini rabbit hole for y’all: vintage martial arts demo reels

From late 1800s to the 1930s. Pretty interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFR...iEv8PVg/videos

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Young Bruce Lee in action (don't know the year at the moment):

From 3:48 I find it interesting (non-consensual sparring).

Site Supporter
    Not to besmirch the good name of Bruce Lee, but I've seen more intense/technical/complex sparring in the kids kickboxing class at my gym. Bruce seems to have the knowledge and skills of a somewhat experienced boxer/kickboxer which is probably impressive to the guys doing kung fu, because his sparring partners are a total trainwreck.

I see a total lack of head movement and a lack of awareness when it comes to moving the feet. They're cross stepping, they have poor distance control, and are stepping into the power side. They don't keep any sort of protection near their heads, though to be fair, neither does Bruce Lee, the only difference is that he seems to be fast enough to play a hands down guard, these guys are very clearly not. Also, it seems like they kind of stop and separate whenever someone takes a hit. Looks kinda like point sparring with throws.

Bruce Lee is probably on the level of a guy who is a training partner for a local amateur kickboxer. Not that anything is wrong about that. After all, the guys who invented the shooting drills like El Presidente or the Bill Drill probably never imagined that hobbyist shooters would beat their best times easily. But damn it sure does show how far we've come in just the overall accessibility of quality instruction and technique.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I've seen more intense/technical/complex sparring in the kids kickboxing class at my gym.
    The KISS principle comes to my mind. Or in other words:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
    -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Bruce Lee's intercepting sidekicks and jabs in the video are extremely fast and no BS. In my experience only very few fighters are so fast (in action and reaction). Definitely not the average kid at the local gym. I think in that regard you exaggerated. In a wildlife documentary I learned about fast-twitch muscle fibers of leopards (and other cats). Bruce Lee had lots of them. But I don't know how Bruce Lee would look like, if he fought against an MMA world champ of our days. I don't say, he would win. I even doubt it.

Also, it seems like they kind of stop and separate whenever someone takes a hit.
    Yes, I agree. That makes the sparring in the video a bit unrealistic. On the other hand, today's MMA fighting is a bit unrealistic due to the very big boxing gloves.

But damn it sure does show how far we've come in just the overall accessibility of quality instruction and technique.
    And the current MMA world champions put even more effort into their training than Bruce Lee did. If Bruce Lee would train on the current world-class level, I suppose he would be extremely good.
    Last edited by P30; 05-25-2022 at 12:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    And the current MMA world champions put even more effort into their training than Bruce Lee did. If Bruce Lee would train on the current world-class level, I suppose he would be extremely good.
    I don't know about that. Good maybe....but I don't think he would have been extremely good.

I expect if he could have used Jeet Kun Do to become an expert level combat athlete in his day he would have.

There's levels to this. The dudes he was sparring on that video were legitimately terrible at striking. Were they to step into the ring for sparring at a local boxing gym, even then, they would have been mangled.

Bruce Lee was an entertainer, a philosopher, and a practitioner of a martial art that only spars infrequently.

He was not a fighter, and even if he had stepped in the ring with a contemporary amateur boxer of his own weight class in LA he would have gotten tuned up. Even under kickboxing rules.

If he stepped into a high school wrestling mat and wrestled someone his weight class, he would get thrown around. If he stepped into the Kodokan, he would be thrown around and submitted. Even under mma rules.

Edited to add, Yi long was not a shaolin monk. He was a combat athlete doing a schtick.

https://youtu.be/a3kUthlwU2A

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 05-25-2022 at 01:20 PM.

He was not a fighter
    I've heard and read from sources I trust, he was a good street fighter in his youth in Hong Kong. And I assume, maybe a better one than many commercial world-class ring fighters are or would be. No rules is very different from MMA and the like (e.g. MMA forbids elbows to the face, in street fighting these are devastating). Reality always has several dimensions and many facets. But I'm not very experienced in unarmed combatives (only trained it for some years and long ago).

PS:

Edited to add, Yi long was not a shaolin monk. He was a combat athlete [...]
    Yes, I know. I'm not sure but suppose Yi Long comes from Sanda, right? Nonetheless, I like his style and find his fighting very impressive.

PPS:
    I've looked it up: Wikipedia says, his styles are "Shaolin Kung Fu, Wing Chun, Sanda, Muay Thai" (Wing Chun is also the style Bruce Lee began with).
    Last edited by P30; 05-25-2022 at 02:14 PM.

Site Supporter
    I've heard and read from sources I trust, he was a good street fighter in his youth in Hong Kong. And I assume, maybe a better one than many commercial world-class ring fighters are or would be. No rules is very different from MMA and the like (e.g. MMA forbids elbows to the face, in street fighting these are devastating). Reality always has several dimensions and many facets. But I'm not very experienced in unarmed combatives (only trained it for some years and long ago).

PS:

Yes, I know. I'm not sure, but I suppose he comes from Sanda, right? Nonetheless, I like his style and find his fighting very impressive.

PS:

Yes, I know. I'm not sure, but I suppose he comes from Sanda, right? Nonetheless, I like his style and find his fighting very impressive.
    Yeah, Yi long is from Sanda. Its the striking style that my coaches teach and you can score by effective striking or throwing your opponent and remaining on your feet. Basically the kickboxing and proto MMA of Kung fu. Not Shaolin Kung fu or JKD tho. It looks like kickboxing or MMA for the same reasons fighter jets look the same.

Except for some minor tweaks, flourishes or bits of personality, it is what works.

But otherwise, MMA, Muay Thai and Lethwei all allow elbow strikes to the head and have for a while. Rodtang Jitmuangnong had made a career of absolutely carving dudes faces with them (look up his fight with Jacob Smith...you'll see what I mean). I agree they are devastating.

The first UFC basically only prohibited eyepokes and the guys who won weren't guys who trained on the mountain with Pai Mei or won a ton of barfights because they were street fighters.

They were athletic dudes who knew how to fight. Wrestlers, grapplers, kickboxers, full contact karate guys.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Not to besmirch the good name of Bruce Lee, but I've seen more intense/technical/complex sparring in the kids kickboxing class at my gym. Bruce seems to have the knowledge and skills of a somewhat experienced boxer/kickboxer which is probably impressive to the guys doing kung fu, because his sparring partners are a total trainwreck.

I see a total lack of head movement and a lack of awareness when it comes to moving the feet. They're cross stepping, they have poor distance control, and are stepping into the power side. They don't keep any sort of protection near their heads, though to be fair, neither does Bruce Lee, the only difference is that he seems to be fast enough to play a hands down guard, these guys are very clearly not. Also, it seems like they kind of stop and separate whenever someone takes a hit. Looks kinda like point sparring with throws.

Bruce Lee is probably on the level of a guy who is a training partner for a local amateur kickboxer. Not that anything is wrong about that. After all, the guys who invented the shooting drills like El Presidente or the Bill Drill probably never imagined that hobbyist shooters would beat their best times easily. But damn it sure does show how far we've come in just the overall accessibility of quality instruction and technique.

LOL...

Wow, 3 legends including the Greatest of All Time and they are even funny:

User Tag List