Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 686 Grips?

S&W 686 Grips?

Looking for some replacement grips for my 686, whats out there? Im pretty open to any design.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GmanVP9 View Post
    Looking for some replacement grips for my 686, whats out there? Im pretty open to any design.

Thanks!
    Round butt or square?

Concealment, range gun, belt carry in the hills?

Grips are about as personal as your choice in partners, but suggestions may bring things up you hadnt considered. In the end, many end up with a bunch of grips and holsters that didnt end up being quite what we wanted or needed.

My vote: Square butt, factory targets from the 50s or 60s, later factory targets worked down to similar profile, or decent aftermarket grips of similar shape. Round butt, the Pachmayr compacts. None of the other Pachmayrs seem to appeal to me for some reason.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I'm also on the lookout for some. I have Karl Nill grips, which are very boutique, but they are too large for my hands and get in the way of my speedloaders.

I'm looking for something that's basically the size of the Hogue monogrip, but preferably wood, and even more space for speedloaders to fly in. The Hogues are "fine" for speedloading, but not superb.

The Karl Nills are nice if you have big paws and you want a round butt wood grip.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    For concealment with a square butt, the factory PC magna grips with a grip adaptor seem to work for a lot of people.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I have become partial to these on my 681 and 686, they make round and sqaure butt versions.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    I'm also on the lookout for some. I have Karl Nill grips, which are very boutique, but they are too large for my hands and get in the way of my speedloaders.

I'm looking for something that's basically the size of the Hogue monogrip, but preferably wood, and even more space for speedloaders to fly in. The Hogues are "fine" for speedloading, but not superb.

The Karl Nills are nice if you have big paws and you want a round butt wood grip.

Thats what wood rasps and files are for. Same for edges that are too squared off, and other annoying bits and odd shapes.

Improved loader clearance

Name:  IMG_6400.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  78.3 KB

Can improve shape from horrible and blocky (L-R) to sleek and comfortable (C).

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  7.9 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-21-2022 at 10:38 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I have VZs on Square and Round Butt S&W grips. You can get them in a variety of textures, styles and colors. Extraordinary fit, very precise.

These are Altamont Grips. I like them a lot. They are for L frame Round But but are also made for Square.

I also like Hogue's Jerry Miculek's grips
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I have 686 revolvers in 2.5”, 3”, and 4”. The shorter barrels wear Hogue Bantam grips, and the 4” has Altamont wood target grips. The shorter barrels get pocket carried mostly, so the bantam grip helps. Since there’s little room to pocket carry the 4”, I find the full size wood grips to be very nice. Hogue monogrips work well on all 3 sizes, but I’ve never attempted pocket carry with them.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  55.3 KB

My safe is 2 feet from my bed. I don’t keep my gats on the bed. 😳

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Thats what wood rasps and files are for. Same for edges that are too squared off, and other annoying bits and odd shapes.

Improved loader clearance

Name:  IMG_6400.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  78.3 KB

Can improve shape from horrible and blocky (L-R) to sleek and comfortable (C).

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  7.9 KB
    Yes, but I would rather sell this 100 dollar grip and buy or make something cheap to mess up.

User Tag List