Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on 9mm Snubbies?

Thoughts on 9mm Snubbies?

I was following the thread on the Taurus 856 and noticed they make a 9mm model 905. With ammo availability and the price of .38 spl being what they are, what is the current thinking on 9mm snubbies?

Seems like a good way to get a better price on ammo and share between semi-autos / revolvers.

I handled one at the gun show last weekend, and it looked identical to the 856, but had the very small grips. I think if I would get one, I would want the Hogue 3 finger rubber grips that come with the 856. Will 856 grips fit?

I like my Ruger LCR9. It's manageable with 147gr defense loads, and I can load low power rounds for the ladies in my family.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I'm thinking like the OP. Would want an all steel one, just for the recoil mitigation that comes with the weight. I wonder if the 905 has the easy to replace "night sight" that would definitely be a + in my "to purchase" column.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I was following the thread on the Taurus 856 and noticed they make a 9mm model 905. With ammo availability and the price of .38 spl being what they are, what is the current thinking on 9mm snubbies?

Seems like a good way to get a better price on ammo and share between semi-autos / revolvers.
    Logistically it’s great.

Shooting wise - they are snappy, like shooting +P 38 out of a snubby and IME moon clips are a PITA.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I like my Ruger LCR9. It's manageable with 147gr defense loads, and I can load low power rounds for the ladies in my family.
    How does it do with 115gr and 124gr?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Logistically it’s great.

Shooting wise - they are snappy, like shooting +P 38 out of a snubby and IME moon clips are a PITA.
    Fully agree with this. They can also disagree with ammo that isn't crimped sufficiently.

I had a brief flirtation with a S&W Performance Center 986. I have shot 625s a good bit and expected a similar experience. On the range with the 625 the use of moon clips was optional. Without them you just punched the cases out with a pencil or something. The .45 moon clips were a little PIA but only a little.

With the 986 the moon clips were a GIANT PIA. Like a pox on their house! Bad to load and I needed to have tools along to not bend the hell out of them removing fired cases.

And the gun was nearly useless without the moon clips. The cases moved forward enough that they wouldn't ignite.

I was not impressed.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I picked up a 9mm LCR a couple of weeks ago, I've only run a couple hundred rds so far but, I like the gun. I went that route for the same reason's, ammo availability, cost etc.
    So far with the 115gr, 124gr and 147gr I've used all shot pretty well, some better than others but poa vs poi differences didn't seem to be as extreme as with 38s, 124gr S&B shoot quite well but a little low left, 124gr HST, 147 Lawman and HST shot POA but, I just put a Hi Viz sight on it so we'll see how that works out. As mentioned up thread, recoil seems snappy but personally I don't find it at all unpleasant to shoot 50-80 rds..

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post

Watching. I'm mulling a 9mm snub for the same reason. The downside is, I'm not seeing any good way to EDC loaded moon clips, compared to dropping a loaded Safariland Comp whatever it is into my back pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    I handled one at the gun show last weekend, and it looked identical to the 856, but had the very small grips. I think if I would get one, I would want the Hogue 3 finger rubber grips that come with the 856. Will 856 grips fit?
    Grips are easy, and I assume with any snubby I'll probably end up with something I like better than factory. 856 grips will fit (Taurus small frame).

User Tag List