Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for Subcompacts (esp. DA/SA)

Site Supporter
    If your pistol doesn’t permit a three-finger grip, see if magazine extensions are available. I have two Walther P99Cs, basically a DA/SA Glock 26, and have pinky extensions on all my magazines to permit a three-finger grip. Pearce makes them for G26s but I don’t know if they’re available for your gun. They definitely help your shooting.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    One P30 subcompact version has a thumb safety permitting cocked and locked carry. Is this method of carry with the P30 considered acceptable as it is with 1911's?
    I asked this question because I recently bought a used but as new P30 subcompact from my shop after a nerd's mother made him return the pistol. I have adjusted grip inserts to fit my wife. She likes the pistol, and I'm considering further adapting the pistol to accommodate her. This effort includes attaching a premium light and green laser; buying a kydex holster to fit the weapon and serve as a trigger cover; and storing the loaded weapon cocked and locked. Of course she will practice. If this plan works, I'll buy a second P30 having the thumb safety and repeat the same steps. She would position one weapon in the bedroom and another in the den where she spends most time. She has several J frames kept in locations like kitchen, the two bathrooms, a spare bedroom, her sewing room, and a shop area. These weapons are secured. We have zero visitors coming into our home. She shoots the J's. She has a Colt M4 clone stored in the bedroom. She enjoys shooting the AR. Soon I will have a steel door installed to replace the bedroom door. I'm making these changes so that she can fend for herself once I become disabled

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I asked this question because I recently bought a used but as new P30 subcompact from my shop after a nerd's mother made him return the pistol. I have adjusted grip inserts to fit my wife. She likes the pistol, and I'm considering further adapting the pistol to accommodate her. This effort includes attaching a premium light and green laser; buying a kydex holster to fit the weapon and serve as a trigger cover; and storing the loaded weapon cocked and locked. Of course she will practice. If this plan works, I'll buy a second P30 having the thumb safety and repeat the same steps. She would position one weapon in the bedroom and another in the den where she spends most time. She has several J frames kept in locations like kitchen, the two bathrooms, a spare bedroom, her sewing room, and a shop area. These weapons are secured. We have zero visitors coming into our home. She shoots the J's. She has a Colt M4 clone stored in the bedroom. She enjoys shooting the AR. Soon I will have a steel door installed to replace the bedroom door. I'm making these changes so that she can fend for herself once I become disabled
    Are you going with the cocked and locked pistols because the SK came that way or was that her desired mode?

Site Supporter
    She prefers this method which surprised me. These pistols will not be carried. One will remain in the bedroom and the other in the den. House is big. Distance between two rooms is 25 yards. AR stays in bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Experiment with different amounts of finger on the trigger. For example the first pad or the first crease can often yield different result.
    Yeah, I've been doing this a bit after one of the Langdon videos mentioned not being afraid to use more finger to get better leverage on the DA pull. I'm not quite to the crease yet but certainly farther over on the pad.

In dry fire it seems like I have a tendency to pull left (left-handed shooter) the more finger I get on the trigger, but making sure to focus on firm pressure from support hand fingers around the front of the gun appears to keep things properly centered.

User Tag List