Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Subcompacts (esp. DA/SA)

Tips for Subcompacts (esp. DA/SA)

Hi all,

I recently picked up a HK P30SK and immediately ran ~150 rounds through it - combination of slow, untimed shooting as well as a few strings of "5x5" drills to go a little faster. I wasn't thrilled with my shooting vs my usual P30 in general and on the 5x5 strings in particular; I was pulling shots low in addition to generally having more spread, even when going slow.

So, while I'm waiting on a flat trigger to better match the P30 - what elements of grip or trigger press or other fundamental technique have you found most helpful to focus on when shooting subcompacts, in particular DA/SAs? There's some good material on subcompact single stack striker guns such as this thread, and I also appreciated this post by Clusterfrack on pushing shots low when returning, though I suspect I may not qualify as one of the "fairly experienced shooters" he refers to, hah.

Thanks!

Tips for Subcompacts (esp. DA/SA)

Welcome to P-F, @Skywalker. I’m sure you’ll get lots of suggestions. When I switched from mainly shooting Glocks and Sig p320s to CZs, I thought the DA pull would be a big deal. It wasn’t. It’s just another trigger pull that needs to happen reasonably fast without disturbing the sights.

I’m out of town, so I can’t easily find it but check out Ernest Langdons material on the DA pull.

I also really like Ben Stoeger’s deceptively simple “Trigger Press at Speed” dryfire drill. With a shot timer, press the trigger on the beep FAST. Figure out how to do that without making the sights move. Grip and trigger mechanics are the focus.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m out of town, so I can’t easily find it but check out Ernest Langdons material on the DA pull.
    Fear not the double action shot

http://www.craigcentral.com/fearnot.htm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FsoX26OhDCY

https://www.everydaymarksman.co/equi...action-pistol/

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....le-Action-Shot
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Welcome to PF.

If all else fails, you may want to convert it to a LEM. That is how I carry my P30SK
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

My subcompact / regular size pair is Glock 26 / Glock 19 and I don't do anything differently between them. I'd hazard a guess that most people here use the same technique when shooting subcompacts vs regular, with the exception of those who go with a higher grip on small frames.
    If you already have a DA/SA P30, as it sounds you do, and you're OK with results shooting that, I am not sure why trigger press on SK should be doubted. Flat vs curved trigger geometry aside, they are the same triggers and, frankly, P30sk is a chunky little babe for a subcompact.

I'd look at how frame's geometry plays with your hand between the SK and regular. For example, a backstrap hump on SK may be at the different spot than a hump of a similarly sized backstrap of a normal P30. Or SK, having a smaller grip surface area, may be unmasking some grip deficiencies. But if you're already shooting DA/SA OK on one gun I wouldn't be looking for a DA/SA related problem when shooting another.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Thanks for the feedback all; much appreciated. I have gone through the Langdon material before but will certainly review, as well as working on the Stoeger drill.

@YVK the backstrap hump does in fact seem a little different; I use the medium on the P30 but to get the same feel on the SK the small works best. Switched it out now; will take another crack with that and the flat trigger hopefully soon. 👍

Site Supporter
    One P30 subcompact version has a thumb safety permitting cocked and locked carry. Is this method of carry with the P30 considered acceptable as it is with 1911's?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    One P30 subcompact version has a thumb safety permitting cocked and locked carry. Is this method of carry with the P30 considered acceptable as it is with 1911's?
    Yes
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Experiment with different amounts of finger on the trigger. For example the first pad or the first crease can often yield different result.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List