Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: P365x vs. xl

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    In the past I’ve been guilty of chasing the latest hotness in carry guns. I have to say, every since I went to the 365XL I’ve kinda settled down.

It’s not just the compact form and slimness, which for me translates into ease of carrying AIWB even while driving. The little gun shoots pretty good. I did have to add a Hogue grip sleeve (in stock form it was just a little too small to get a good grip) but fortunately that did not detract from being able to carry it under a T-shirt.

Every now and then I’ll shoot that gun in an IDPA or outlaw CCW match for sh!ts and grins.

365XL w/ HS407K
    Vedder AIWB holster w/ yoga block pad
    Spare 15-rnder in JMCK AIWB mag pouch
    I shot my P365XL in one USPSA match. I bought a JM Range/Competition holster and screwed it onto my belt carrier.

The only negative I had was that when I went to reload a dropped mag on a stage, the follower had barfed out of the top of the mag body feed lips. I stuffed it in and kept going.

Later I found that it is pretty easy to coax the follower past the feedlips, much easier say than a Glock mag, not sure if a persistent problem, or I just got lucky, or what, but it’d be something I’d watch for in future.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I shot my P365XL in one USPSA match. I bought a JM Range/Competition holster and screwed it onto my belt carrier.

The only negative I had was that when I went to reload a dropped mag on a stage, the follower had barfed out of the top of the mag body feed lips. I stuffed it in and kept going.

Later I found that it is pretty easy to coax the follower past the feedlips, much easier say than a Glock mag, not sure if a persistent problem, or I just got lucky, or what, but it’d be something I’d watch for in future.
    Glock shooters are spoiled by Glock magazines, and the ability to pick them up out of the dirt, shake them, reload them and carry on. Virtually every other metal magazine is best disassembled and cleaned once they hit the dirt.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    P365X and the Enigma...I’ve watched the evolution of this holster and was curious how those of you that carry with it are doing.

I’m looking at a solution for a camping / outdoors context, with generally synthetic pants or zip offs for lower wear. I am in and out of the truck (1500 Ram) a lot each day. Lately I’ve swapped my P365X FCU into a P365 OEM Grip, and inserted it into a Vedder Pocket Locker. I have a 407k and the package is compact, but carries bigger than it looks because of the optic, in the pocket, Access is limited, seated or in a restaurant. Oddly enough there’s no fouling on the draw, for me.

Anyway, is there any guidance on a ‘starter kit’ for the noobie Enigma carrier? My current AIWB is a JM AIWB WC 2.5, with a single DCC clips forward, WC rear, with a MMT ACP fixed lower and a deflated MMT ACP fixed on top for padding/comfort. I’m 5’6” 185# 34” Pants.

I’m pondering trying the Enigma as an option, and I realize holster fitment is highly individual, but would appreciate any thoughts on the above, as the Enigmas ain’t cheap.
    Can’t speak to the specific enigma/p365xl combo yet, but I was an early adopter of the enigma and it’s been a primary carry method for me since.

An easy button solution that minimizes set up and adjustment would be the enigma express. It’s a smaller faceplate with fewer adjustments, and comes with a fixed retention holster bolted on. From all that I’ve heard, it’s a phenomenal option for guns like the 365xl.

My experience with the standard enigma has been very good. It takes a lot of time and effort to actually get it dialed in, and that changes based on the gun and holster. That being said, comfort and concealment are squarely better than with a non enigma holster. Things like the papoose and aftermarket leg leashes are great additions for comfort, but unmolested the enigma is still an amazing option.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    Can’t speak to the specific enigma/p365xl combo yet, but I was an early adopter of the enigma and it’s been a primary carry method for me since.

An easy button solution that minimizes set up and adjustment would be the enigma express. It’s a smaller faceplate with fewer adjustments, and comes with a fixed retention holster bolted on. From all that I’ve heard, it’s a phenomenal option for guns like the 365xl.

My experience with the standard enigma has been very good. It takes a lot of time and effort to actually get it dialed in, and that changes based on the gun and holster. That being said, comfort and concealment are squarely better than with a non enigma holster. Things like the papoose and aftermarket leg leashes are great additions for comfort, but unmolested the enigma is still an amazing option.
    Thanks, that is the owner-type feedback I was looking for.

It was after my first match that I added the Hogue sleeve, I just couldn’t grip the gun hard enough for shooting at speed. That’s one of the reasons I like to shoot my carry/HD guns periodically in a match setting to see if they are good to go or need something to make them suit me better. Knock on wood, other than being super stiff the OEM mags have worked just fine for me (two 12’ers and two 15’ers).

Reloading the sub-c guns has always been a PITA for me, not just getting the heel of my strong hand to clear the mag to allow it to drop free but also not pinching the heel on the reload. With the XL frame I can actually do a half-decent reload and have yet to pinch my hand.

And as far as people thinking the 407K/507K’s window is too small, it’s small compared to my SROs but I can still can track the dot during recoil.

So I think I’m good for now, that is unless a good deal on a CZ P-01 pops up… then I may fall off my high horse and get back to chasing the ultimate EDC….

Anyway, is there any guidance on a ‘starter kit’ for the noobie Enigma carrier? My current AIWB is a JM AIWB WC 2.5, with a single DCC clips forward, WC rear, with a MMT ACP fixed lower and a deflated MMT ACP fixed on top for padding/comfort. I’m 5’6” 185# 34” Pants.

I’m pondering trying the Enigma as an option, and I realize holster fitment is highly individual, but would appreciate any thoughts on the above, as the Enigmas ain’t cheap.
    The Enigma Express version that comes already assembled with their holster was designed to be the "easy mode" answer to this question. The standard Enigma will give you more adjustability (mainly by having more belt attachment holes on the faceplate to customize the amount of cant, grip rotation, and tucking) but people seem to be generally happy with the comparative simplicity of the Express.

FWIW, I tried a similar setup to what GJM mentioned as my solution for carrying in belt-less pants/shorts (Mastermind Covert plus JMCK AIWB holster) and while it wasn't bad, I still get better concealment and comfort from a dialed in Enigma. Of course like anything else concealment related, this is going to be highly variable from person to person. For one thing I think the AXL faceplate sitting on top of the holster helps create a more uniformly shaped "pocket" for the holster to sit in vs. having a prominent holster shaped bulge around the belt-line.

ETA: Oops, posted before I saw that Hstanton1 basically said the same thing.
    Last edited by DiscipulusArmorum; 05-26-2022 at 04:34 PM.

I was just messing around with a 365 with and without a 407K in an Enigma and JM George on a Covert belt. The optic makes the pistol print a lot more on me in this application.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipulusArmorum View Post
    The Enigma Express version that comes already assembled with their holster was designed to be the "easy mode" answer to this question. The standard Enigma will give you more adjustability (mainly by having more belt attachment holes on the faceplate to customize the amount of cant, grip rotation, and tucking) but people seem to be generally happy with the comparative simplicity of the Express.

FWIW, I tried a similar setup to what GJM mentioned as my solution for carrying in belt-less pants/shorts (Mastermind Covert plus JMCK AIWB holster) and while it wasn't bad, I still get better concealment and comfort from a dialed in Enigma. Of course like anything else concealment related, this is going to be highly variable from person to person. For one thing I think the AXL faceplate sitting on top of the holster helps create a more uniformly shaped "pocket" for the holster to sit in vs. having a prominent holster shaped bulge around the belt-line.

ETA: Oops, posted before I saw that Hstanton1 basically said the same thing.
    Much appreciated. I put my P365X FCU back into my WC grip today, holstered in the JM CK AIWB 2.5. I’ll wear that for the next few weeks camping, and just keep noodling on the Enigma. It does look pretty cool. I priced a lefty P365X Express, but at a buck fiddy, it is a bit spendy if what I have now works ok.

Name:  34D50302-9408-49B8-AEDA-9539824DDBC3.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  78.0 KB

Thanks all, I appreciate the discussion but probably should let this get back to X vs XL.

I wear an enigma with phlster skeleton holster for my p365sc about as comfortably as a real holster. It’s pretty awesome to be able to move freely in loose shorts while carrying a gun that shoots as if it’s a full size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I was just messing around with a 365 with and without a 407K in an Enigma and JM George on a Covert belt. The optic makes the pistol print a lot more on me in this application.
    Just curious, are you wearing the gun at, or below belt line?
    I'd picked up an Enigma for a bare 365 with 10rd mag early on for times when attire and_absolute discretion is required...
    Luckily I've only found myself in that situation a couple of times, wore the gun below belt line, it concealed well and was fairly accessible (I guess mission accomplished) although uncomfortable.
    Perhaps more set up time is required but, I'd run short on patience and the leg leash is a pain in the ass.
    I'm thinking about trying the Mastermind belt with a JM.
    Any comparison / feedback is much appreciated.
    Fortunately, I don't have a problem with daily good old AIWB
    99% of the time.

User Tag List