Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New carry gun

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    You can’t drop the hammer with safety on. I’ve manually decocked CZs 1000’s of times and never had an ND. (Drop hammer on index finger, let hammer down by rolling finger.) But, that’s at a range with a safe backstop. I’m not sure how I’d feel about carrying a no-decocker model.
    I could do it if the safety was excellent and the gun was drop safe. Basically treat it like a BHP. The DA would simply be a way to have double strike capability if you wanted it.

When I decock a revolver, I put my thumb between the firing pin/transfer bar and the hammer. An added layer of safety in case I screw it up. I am not sure I have even done that with live rounds, just practicing with an empty cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    You can’t drop the hammer with safety on. I’ve manually decocked CZs 1000’s of times and never had an ND. (Drop hammer on index finger, let hammer down by rolling finger.) But, that’s at a range with a safe backstop. I’m not sure how I’d feel about carrying a no-decocker model.
    I meant trap the hammer as I hold it to insure it doesn’t move not receding to deco king

Careful with that muzzle. It will get warm.

Site Supporter
    That an AIWB holster? Re: the tip will get hot? Which tip?

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    Not OP but safety on (of course) and capture the hammer with thumb
    I compete with a shadow 2 so I am familiar with the techniques, more recently I am thankful for tough rifle primers for that time during a near 0 degree match where I lost the hammer half way down and was thankful I did not get a loud noise. Very much not something I want to mess with after a legitimate high stress event. I looked at just using the thumb safety to re holster, but the amount of cross trained reps was getting problematic. I have found it easier to completely switch guns than having two methods for the same gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    whats you SOP for re holstering? Just use the safety or are you only running SA?

I have looked at CZs for a carry gun, but I hate their decocker models and have not yet figured out a good way to handle the safety only DA/SA's
    What is it about the decocker models that put you off? I have yet to try the Omega system decocker but find the traditional lever to be in a good spot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    What is it about the decocker models that put you off? I have yet to try the Omega system decocker but find the traditional lever to be in a good spot for me.
    Mostly just the shape and location of the lever doesn't work for my hands. I have tried the P09/P07 guns and those were fine, but I had other issues with those (hammer bite, slide bite,..trigger bite. it was an abusive relationship)

Anyway I did not mean to divert JCN's thread, I was just curious what his thoughts on the situation were.

Sorry! Long day at work today!

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    That’s a big change from a Taurus no-view. What prompted it?

Also, why .357 Sig?
    Taurus will be still probably main carry. But the CZ might replace the P365 for times I’m AIWB carrying something.

The second picture is a 65gr Underwood loaded Xtreme Defender after it passed through a IIIA composite plate.

One of the original carry scenarios I wanted to cover was soft armor a la Aurora, but the video of the Buffalo gunman reminded me that even with a high level of skill, a head shot would be very difficult and maybe ability to defeat IIIA in a handgun package might be important.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    whats you SOP for re holstering? Just use the safety or are you only running SA?

I have looked at CZs for a carry gun, but I hate their decocker models and have not yet figured out a good way to handle the safety only DA/SA's
    I also competed with a Shadow 2 so lowering the hammer before reholstering isn’t an issue. But if I were injured or only had one hand, I’d be fine with cocked and locked too.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Looks heavy.
    Name:  24443804-52CD-4A15-A06D-A874F7F45D0E.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  102.4 KB

It is heavier than a Glock (but also makes it more shootable).

It’s lighter than a 1911, though.

Name:  8721763B-010D-47F8-B742-A4AE71E2DB14.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  102.2 KB

Although heavier, it’s slimmer than a P229 so I kind of like it better. Plus I have a lot of muscle memory with DASA CZs.

It’s the same size as a Glock 22

Name:  25ED0EC2-62D4-470F-A430-3992CB5BF845.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  103.1 KB

Any concerns about the dovetail RDS mount with the heavier calibers installed? Good looking rig, for sure.
    Thanks! I ran a dovetail in a TSO shooting major for a while and no issues. I did shim the rear of the RDS mount for support just in case though. At least it’s a Bomar type cut and not a simple Glock type cut.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Careful with that muzzle. It will get warm.
    Maybe I like it?

I’m used to manually lowering hammer or running cocked and locked so decocker is a different and particularly different manual of arms for me that I didn’t spend any time training with. I have an Omega P01 that I changed from decocker to safety.

I don't know shit about CZ's, does it have a half-cock notch, like a 1911/2011?
    Last edited by wvincent; 05-20-2022 at 11:51 PM.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Taurus will be still probably main carry. But the CZ might replace the P365 for times I’m AIWB carrying something.
    I like that you think out of the box, and I'm all in favor of carrying a real gun. I have to say though, that your ability to keep thinking and making decisions will be far more important than the hardware/ammo.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List