Thread: Removing an AR pistol brace

Removing an AR pistol brace

I previously built an AR pistol chambered in 300 Blackout. I used the Aero Precision AR 15 Enhanced Pistol Buffer Kit on my stripped lower.
    https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar1...tol-buffer-kit

I've got an ETF Form1 pending to convert the pistol to an SBR. Today I thought I'd go ahead and take off the pistol brace. It's stuck on there pretty tight. I tried twisting and pulling on the brace without any movement at all. I thought I'd unscrew the castle nut to start moving the brace off the buffer tube but I don't have enough clearance to put my armorer's wrench on the nut. I'm hesitant to start prying with a screwdriver, trying to avoid scratching anything.

Two questions:

1) How can I get the brace off the buffer tube without sacrificing the brace or scratching things up?

2) Once I get my tax stamp will I be able to put a milspec M4 telescoping buttstock on the pistol buffer tube or am I going to have to buy a carbine buffer tube set?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation." - Ronald Reagan

Assuming the brace is a thermoplastic - try some heat from a hair dryer or heat gun. Just get it warm to the touch and try wiggling. Once it moves a bit, chances are good you can wiggle it free with some more heat and elbow grease.

1- What RevolverRob said

2- If your current buffer tube is the one shown in the link you sent, it is completely smooth. You will need one like this
    Name:  aprh100136lc-ar15-ar10-mil-spec-carbine-buffer-tube-anodized-dry-film-lube-_c_-1.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  19.1 KB

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-mils...be-6-position/

They have the raised area for the carbine stock to ride in and holes where the pin in the stock sits depending on the length that you extend the stock.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Which brace is on that RE?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    How did you attach the brace when you put it on? Is it glued, clamped, friction-fit? The smoothness of the buffer tube suggests at least one of those is involved.

This is my preferred carbine RE. It is actually forged with rolled threads. I'm not aware of any aftermarket part that has both those features, or even one of them in 2022 off the top of my head.

https://www.specializedarmament.com/...18-6-position/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Have you tried a little squirt of WD40 between the brace and tube?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Assuming the brace is a thermoplastic - try some heat from a hair dryer or heat gun. Just get it warm to the touch and try wiggling. Once it moves a bit, chances are good you can wiggle it free with some more heat and elbow grease.
    Thanks for the tip. I was able to heat the brace up and twist it enough to be able to get the armorer's tool on the castle nut. I just took the buffer tube off with the brace still on it. I won't be able to use the pistol buffer tube on the SBR so it's no loss to not get the two separated. Come August the brace might no longer be legal anyway.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    1- What RevolverRob said

2- If your current buffer tube is the one shown in the link you sent, it is completely smooth. You will need one like this

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-mils...be-6-position/

They have the raised area for the carbine stock to ride in and holes where the pin in the stock sits depending on the length that you extend the stock.

That makes sense. This pistol is the only build I've ever done. I had only bought an Aero Precision AC-15 complete carbine a year or so before this build. CZ pistols are my thing. I never would have built an AR pistol in the first place but my son gave me a complete 300BO upper so I *had to* complete the build lol.

I got the buffer tube off with the brace still on it. The rear takedown detent spring is held in by a set screw so it didn't get mangled or lost while I was taking off the castle nut.

I built the pistol with an Aero Precision Enhanced Pistol Buffer Kit.

The buffer is unmarked. It weighs 84g or 2.95oz. 3.25" long.
    The buffer spring is 10.5" in its resting state.

Am I going to be able to reuse the pistol buffer and spring or will I need new parts to go with a carbine buffer tube?

EDIT:

The complete upper I've got is a Sig M400. It's discontinued and I can't find any info on it on the internet.
    11" barrel.
    Gas block is not adjustable.
    Plan on shooting factory 300BO 147gr rounds, not subsonic.
    Not suppressed.

I plan on using a carbine RE.
    What weight buffer would y'all suggest?
    What buffer spring weight/length?

Thanks for everybody's help.
    Last edited by delphidoc; 05-19-2022 at 10:57 PM.

Correction to above:

9" barrel

Site Supporter
    From the weight, I’d say you currently have a standard carbine buffer. I don’t know anything about pistol buffer tubes or springs, but if you go to a carbine buffer tube, if recommend a stronger spring and heavier buffer.

I’ve have good results with a Springco “Red” (+25%) spring and an H3 buffer for 300 BLK with pistol-length gas systems.
    It’ll probably run with a lighter spring and buffer, but it’ll really be slamming back, and the felt recoil will be more pronounced.
    For my gun, I have a 5 oz buffer, plus the 2 oz weight of the BCG adapter for the LAW folder. So I’d say a heavy 5.6 oz Aero H3 buffer would work well. You could also consider a variable-weight buffer kit that would allow you to go a bit heavier, if you find it to be beneficial.

Again, we don’t know your gas system, so it’s a guess. My upper on the 300 BLK is a 7.5” PSA, and it’s also worked well with an Aero 8” upper.

Quote Originally Posted by delphidoc View Post
    That makes sense. This pistol is the only build I've ever done. I had only bought an Aero Precision AC-15 complete carbine a year or so before this build. CZ pistols are my thing. I never would have built an AR pistol in the first place but my son gave me a complete 300BO upper so I *had to* complete the build lol.

I got the buffer tube off with the brace still on it. The rear takedown detent spring is held in by a set screw so it didn't get mangled or lost while I was taking off the castle nut.

I built the pistol with an Aero Precision Enhanced Pistol Buffer Kit.

The buffer is unmarked. It weighs 84g or 2.95oz. 3.25" long.
    The buffer spring is 10.5" in its resting state.

Am I going to be able to reuse the pistol buffer and spring or will I need new parts to go with a carbine buffer tube?

EDIT:

The complete upper I've got is a Sig M400. It's discontinued and I can't find any info on it on the internet.
    11" barrel.
    Gas block is not adjustable.
    Plan on shooting factory 300BO 147gr rounds, not subsonic.
    Not suppressed.

I plan on using a carbine RE.
    What weight buffer would y'all suggest?
    What buffer spring weight/length?

Thanks for everybody's help.

User Tag List