Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody know anyone at Federal?

Does anybody know anyone at Federal?

I thought it was only their QC that sucked but it appears that CS does too. Good three weeks waiting on a response to email that I know they received, and now one week on "someone will call you back".

As a PSA part of this, if someone is planning to buy their 150 grain Syntech 9 mm ammo, it tumbles out of four different guns of mine. Two different 500 round cases sampled.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    As a PSA part of this, if someone is planning to buy their 150 grain Syntech 9 mm ammo, it tumbles out of four different guns of mine. Two different 500 round cases sampled.
    I do not know anyone at Federal. Tumbling is often a sign of over crimping. If you have the time and are so inclined you might pull one and measure it. It would not surprise me to see the Syntech made on the same equipment that the rest of their loads are made. Maybe someone forgot to adjust the crimp die from FMJ to lead bullets?

If I knew how to do it right I would because two more people said the same. Problem is that I haven't done it before and, based on frequency of keyholing, I would probably have to go through a bix of it. I'd rather shoot that crap in practice.

@YVK

When was the last time you really scrubbed the bores of your barrels clean?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I've had the powdercoated CCI .22LR tumble. Seven out of 20 rounds went through the target sideways at 7 yards. The other pistol I shot it in was fine. The pistol that it tumbled from has been accurate with all other loads.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @YVK

When was the last time you really scrubbed the bores of your barrels clean?
    On CZs, right after that happened first time at the match so I could test it on clean barrels. On 365, never because that PMM barrel is 500 rounds old. On Glock 26, I run brush and patches periodically because it is my carry gun but good scrub is probably never as my record shows under 800 rounds.

1x16 twist barrel(s) perhaps?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Following with interest…
    A few years ago, I had primer problems with Syntech, and they responded within a week or so. They wound up replacing that case of 500 rds, if I recall.

Also interested because I’m dealing with a tumbling problem with Gallant bullets. I’ve mostly eliminated it by removing the Lee “Factory Crimp” die altogether from my process. But the newest lot of bullets with their “improved” coating still tumbles more than 50% of the time.

Relevant here only because I used a several-year-old lot of Syntech 150 gr as a control with the same barrel, and had no tumbling whatsoever.

So I’d certainly say that tumbling Syntech is an anomaly, and Federal certainly ought to fix it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    1x16 twist barrel(s) perhaps?

This wouldn’t be a problem, since S&W revolver barrels have a 1 in 18-3/4” twist and have no problem with 200-grain bullets at lower velocity than that Federal load.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    This wouldn’t be a problem, since S&W revolver barrels have a 1 in 18-3/4” twist and have no problem with 200-grain bullets at lower velocity than that Federal load.
    Just speculation. Maybe the OP should try a known faster twist barrel (if he hasn't already) and see what happens.

User Tag List