Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Integrally suppressed .22s

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Integrally suppressed .22s

So pondering my next can purchase, heavily leaning towards a .22

Currently have a 22/45 (MkII) and a 10/22. Unfortuately to suppress these would require a) threading the barrel (22/45; upper is serialized part) or b) new barrel/stock (10/22)

Given the above thinking about options to integrally suppress vs having to work backwards.

Any thoughts? What products do people like? Especially for 10/22s as I think that would be higher priority for vs the pistol

I purchased a Volqartsen barrel for my 10-22. I like it, but really like shooting my CZ bolt guns more. I'm able to run CCI Quiet in them, it won't cycle the 10-22, and man is it quiet in them. Striker noise is louder than the shot.

My 22/45 came with a threaded barrel.

I'm using Q El Camino and Erector right now. Have a Dead Air purchased but will likely be August before the stamp comes in. I love the El Camino, not so wild on the Erector.

I will say shooting 22's suppressed is the most fun of all of my suppressor shooting.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I from time to time think about putting together an integrally suppressed 10/22. Definitely see the attraction. But my current threaded .22LR SA is a 512. Have an FV-SR that I've sunk waaay too much cash into. Would still buy a T1x 16.5 if I could find one under $500. That may never happen again.

Did the Buck Mark thing and have an assortment of threaded barrels. I occasionally think of getting a fast-twist barrel made that could stabilize the Aguila SSS. Just realized that might be another Contender application.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I keep looking at that takedown Ruger: https://www.ruger.com/micros/silent-sr-ISB/index.html
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Hammertime
    I have the Ruger takedown Gemtech installed in a Magpul Backpacker stock and the M&P 15-22 version. They are both fun as heck and very quiet even with supersonic ammo. Most of the noise is the action and the bullet whizzing.

Always crowd pleasers if I take anyone shooting.

Ruger is smaller and lighter but I think I would get the M&P if I could only have one.

For a rimfire can or integral, make sure it comes apart easily for cleaning as .22 cans seem to collect lead and then get louder. If you are going to shoot supersonic loads out of the suppressed rifle, the CCI polymer-coated ammo, although pricey, is worth the extra effort and expense to procure as it extends times between cleaning while making the cleaning faster. CCI has a .22 load at 1070 fps with the polymer-coated bullet that I have been wanting to try. https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfi...2/6-934CC.html

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I have the Ruger takedown Gemtech installed in a Magpul Backpacker stock and the M&P 15-22 version. They are both fun as heck and very quiet even with supersonic ammo. Most of the noise is the action and the bullet whizzing.

Always crowd pleasers if I take anyone shooting.

Ruger is smaller and lighter but I think I would get the M&P if I could only have one.
    I also have Gemtech M&P 15-22 upper. It’s a lot of fun.

Name:  6E3E74FC-9ECA-448D-A989-6F9CCAE7F56D.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  70.6 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    For a rimfire can or integral, make sure it comes apart easily for cleaning as .22 cans seem to collect lead and then get louder. If you are going to shoot supersonic loads out of the suppressed rifle, the CCI polymer-coated ammo, although pricey, is worth the extra effort and expense to procure as it extends times between cleaning while making the cleaning faster. CCI has a .22 load at 1070 fps with the polymer-coated bullet that I have been wanting to try. https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfi...2/6-934CC.html
    I've had CCI coated ammo go sideways (7 out of 20 rounds at 7 yards) in one gun. I'd test a bunch of rounds through any given gun before shooting it through a can on that gun. Not sure how one would vet an integrally suppressed barrel, other than just hopes and prayers.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Don’t. Neither of these are worth being tied to a non portable, proprietary silencer. Sell or trade the both into something thar is threaded. The can is literally a lifetime investment and a portable .22 can is way better than making a lifetime investment on two fairly run of the mill, mass produced, common weapons.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've had CCI coated ammo go sideways (7 out of 20 rounds at 7 yards) in one gun. I'd test a bunch of rounds through any given gun before shooting it through a can on that gun. Not sure how one would vet an integrally suppressed barrel, other than just hopes and prayers.
    Interesting. May I ask which gun? Anything unusual about twist rate or rifling? I have had some guns, like with any ammo, not group the best with the coated ammo, but I have not seen keyholing out of any of the ones I have used, ranging from a 1964 Ruger Standard to a ~2021 Ruger Charger with a Volquartsen barrel.

An aside is the threaded Volquartsen barrels are great suppressor hosts.

User Tag List