Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory ride alongs for Congress Members

Mandatory ride alongs for Congress Members

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

And they should make them get out and engage...

(What could go wrong?)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Probably a great idea. I feel bad for the poor bastard who has to have them in his car.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    Probably a great idea. I feel bad for the poor bastard who has to have them in his car.
    Our City Manager and some of our council members have come out and ridden with us. We’re fortunate to have their support. Benefits of living in a red city/county/state.

The CM rode with a bunch of Sgts/officers and had some no holds barred conversations which have led to some significant positive change. This started a few years ago when our HR Director met with every Officer/Sgt on the department to talk about the state of the agency/city. Some of had no issues with being 110% honest about EVERYTHING.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    They should require them to ride out in Chicago and Minneapolis, not Beverly Hills.

Our City Manager was previously our Chief of Police
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

It’s a nice idea, that’s for sure.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Won't work. Not enough room in the trunk.

Congress has very little impact on local policing.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Start with getting the shitlords above the rank of Captain(and all the Admin Captains) to ride along with patrol.
    Some were never in patrol past their rookie years. Some haven't been in patrol since before Rodney King.
    Damn Congress.

A) Ain't likely to happen. And if it does, it'll be with folks who already support LE.

B) Based on personal experience with briefing Congresscritters, don't expect much. The ability of many/most of them to misunderstand - perhaps willfully - even the most straightforward explanations is not to be underestimated.

C) They are always in "campaign mode," even if you can't vote for them.

A war story: A subordinate and I had the opportunity to brief a newly installed Senator on one of our oversight committees. We had 20 minutes scheduled. Said Senator spent 15 of those minutes telling us what a great guy he was and how well-informed he was on our AOR. He belatedly realized that he'd shot (most of) his wad trying to impress people who didn't even live in his state. My subordinate was amazed, mostly because I'd predicted his performance. There are exceptions, but they are depressingly few.

User Tag List