Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why a square front trigger guard

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficeCat View Post
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is still a popular technique in Europe,
    I think it's primarily associated with Europe because the best European practical pistol shooter (arguably the best period) has always used finger on the trigger guard. I think I remember reading at some point that Grauffel didn't even teach it to his own students though. I have noticed that Lena Miculek has been using one or even two fingers in front of the trigger guard recently. I don't think she used to shoot that way, so maybe she's discovered that it's beneficial for her.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I think it's primarily associated with Europe because the best European practical pistol shooter (arguably the best period) has always used finger on the trigger guard. I think I remember reading at some point that Grauffel didn't even teach it to his own students though. I have noticed that Lena Miculek has been using one or even two fingers in front of the trigger guard recently. I don't think she used to shoot that way, so maybe she's discovered that it's beneficial for her.
    Ive seen references to her doing it some time back and Jerry has done it for a long time I believe. Hes sort of a rebel it seems, he doesnt prefer smooth triggers either. He'll never make it anywhere like that.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive seen references to her doing it some time back and Jerry has done it for a long time I believe. Hes sort of a rebel it seems, he doesnt prefer smooth triggers either. He'll never make it anywhere like that.
    I don't think Jerry shoots that way unless forced to by grip size. Look at photos of him shooting full size M&Ps or larger frame revos, he has a "normal" modern grip. He does it when shooting certain smaller pistols, but I think that might be due to hand size and smaller grip pistols.

I'm almost certain that Lena didn't used to shoot that way, but I could be wrong.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Jerry addresses it in his how to shoot a handgun video. Basically says some good shooters do it, lots don't. Try it and if it works for you, go ahead.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeCat View Post
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is still a popular technique in Europe [...]
    I think it's primarily associated with Europe because the best European practical pistol shooter (arguably the best period) has always used finger on the trigger guard. I think I remember reading at some point that Grauffel didn't even teach it to his own students though.
    Interesting. I was not aware that Eric Grauffel does so.

czub.cz/de/shooting-team-person/eric-grauffel?team=3&category=5:

But nevertheless, I don't remember having seen anybody shooting so here in Germany. And I've seen some of the best German shooters and was trained by one of them. It's definitely not the standard technique in Europe (at least not in Germany, don't know much about shooting in other European countries).
    Last edited by P30; 05-19-2022 at 01:50 PM.

I may be on drugs, but I want to say I even saw a fairly recent piece by Mas on doing it with smaller pistols, like G26 size?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    While plinking at distant targets, I have rested the bottom of the trigger guard on another surface if one were available. This steadied my aim. The square guard does accommodate shooters with gloves or mittens. Had Glock not adopted and continued using a square guard, I doubting that it would be common now.

I don't think Jerry shoots that way unless forced to by grip size. Look at photos of him shooting full size M&Ps or larger frame revos, he has a "normal" modern grip. He does it when shooting certain smaller pistols, but I think that might be due to hand size and smaller grip pistols.

I'm almost certain that Lena didn't used to shoot that way, but I could be wrong.
    Actually, I think you are correct, he does it with smaller guns, though as pointed out below, doesnt seem to think its right or wrong for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Jerry addresses it in his how to shoot a handgun video. Basically says some good shooters do it, lots don't. Try it and if it works for you, go ahead.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

That crazy guy who made GM with a @Glock26 uses finger on the trigger guard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I may be on drugs, but I want to say I even saw a fairly recent piece by Mas on doing it with smaller pistols, like G26 size?
    Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    No, I don't think so. Live in Germany, not LEO but took part in some shooting courses and personally know an SEK member and a former SEK shooting trainer here (SEK = German term for SWAT). Never saw anybody here with the left index finger on the front of the trigger guard.

Look how Bob Vogel grips his pistol.
    I have done something similar after reading about the Wedge Grip in Stressfire in the early 90s... I also recommend it for cops who are clearly flinching but are not interested in training much. It doesn't solve the problem, but it helps... @Mas.

pat

User Tag List