Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why a square front trigger guard

Why a square front trigger guard

Way back when I used to run my weak hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard. Stopped doing that when it became obvious that it wasn't promoted by any trainers. 5-6 years ago I first saw the weak hand cocked at a crazy angle to get the thumb down onto the side of the frame grip. That doesn't work for me at all. One of the guys I shoot idpa with (who is generally top 5 overall) showed me how he does that grip so I tried again. No good. But he shoots a Glock and they all have a square trigger guard. I just looked through the APXA1 thread and wow, it has really aggressive looking checker on what looks to be a really wide trigger guard. So my question is, if finger on the trigger guard is not a popular grip, why do so many pistols have a square guard?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is still a popular technique in Europe, maybe among law enforcement agencies there? If so that may account for some of it. In a way maybe it's kind of like a lanyard loop. Those have been around pretty much forever and not many people still use them, but a lot of pistols still have them. They don't get in the way, and it's a little extra functionality and a selling point for those who do use them.

I suspect that it also makes mounting a light a bit easier
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    If you've ever used a barrier or surface as a point of contact against the front of your trigger guard, you will appreciate a square one.

It's not something done often, but if you have to take a 50 yard shot it does help.

Site Supporter
    Also, how much have you worked on the canted weak hand wrist? I agree it's not super natural, but do about 1000 presentations with it and it'll be natural and likely an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeCat View Post
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that this is still a popular technique in Europe, maybe among law enforcement agencies there?
    No, I don't think so. Live in Germany, not LEO but took part in some shooting courses and personally know an SEK member and a former SEK shooting trainer here (SEK = German term for SWAT). Never saw anybody here with the left index finger on the front of the trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    why do so many pistols have a square guard?
    Look how Bob Vogel grips his pistol (1:55) and how he explains it. He wants to grip it with his left hand high and close to the muzzle (says so at 2:10). His left index finger touches the lower part of the trigger guard but close to the muzzle. If the trigger guard would be rounded, this would not work so well or the trigger guard had to be even bigger.

But the main reason are gloves, I suppose. There shall be enough space to put your trigger finger into the trigger guard even with gloves on (in the Winter in Germany and Austria, it can be quite cold).
    Last edited by P30; 05-19-2022 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post

It's not something done often, but if you have to take a 50 yard shot it does help.
    Could you expand on this concept a bit?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Could you expand on this concept a bit?
    Probably getting real close to outside my lane here but I was taught that you could press the front of the trigger guard against a barrier to help stabilize it and act as a kind of rest. Like a table if you were crouched behind it or even cant the gun and press the front of the trigger guard against the corner of a wall or something.

It is not something I have ever really pressure tested in competition or anything, but it is something I've seen demonstrated before.

With a rounded trigger guard, they sometimes want to slip forward and off the barrier where a good square one will really stick.

ETA: I think this is so minor it has NEVER influenced a gun purchase for me by the way. Just answer the OP's question.
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 05-19-2022 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    So my question is, if finger on the trigger guard is not a popular grip, why do so many pistols have a square guard?
    It might be that it was such a sought after tweak that it might still look like a free upgrade for an injection molded frame. At one point 1911 frames were cut and welded up or maybe even forged into being square, I think my good friend has two Swenson pistols with that treatment. If you couldn't afford that you got checkering, I couldn't afford either.

IMO it is not good or bad for people that do not use it, but good for people that do. Personally I think I still do it out of habit, but not sure. I would need to pick up a pistol to know, and I am at work... haha

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    Probably getting real close to outside my lane here but I was taught that you could press the front of the trigger guard against a barrier to help stabilize it and act as a kind of rest. Like a table if you were crouched behind it or even cant the gun and press the front of the trigger guard against the corner of a wall or something.

It is not something I have ever really pressure tested in competition or anything, but it is something I've seen demonstrated before.

With a rounded trigger guard, they sometimes want to slip forward and off the barrier where a good square one will really stick.

Thanks, I wasnt sure if the 50 yard part was related to barricade or just useful for 50 yard shots to have the squared guard for finger placement.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List