Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pool RFI

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Pools are like boats. The two best days are the day you get it and the day you get rid of it.

If you have kids in the right age range it can be worth it but in general it's a time/money pit much like a boat.
    Quoting because I can only like once.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

My ardor for a pool is cooling by the minute…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My ardor for a pool is cooling by the minute…
    Living in TX without a pool is not good. Maybe if you have a neighborhood pool and like your neighbors, you can get away with it.

Neighborhood next to us has a pool, but, most of the homes also have a pool. Neighborhood pool is awesome. Empty. I would not have a pool if I lived there.

I don't enjoy maintaining my pool, but, would not want to be without it here..... Go to gym. Swim. Ride bike. Swim. Get pissed off at work. Swim. >100F. Swim.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Living in TX without a pool is not good. Maybe if you have a neighborhood pool and like your neighbors, you can get away with it.

Neighborhood next to us has a pool, but, most of the homes also have a pool. Neighborhood pool is awesome. Empty. I would not have a pool if I lived there.

I don't enjoy maintaining my pool, but, would not want to be without it here..... Go to gym. Swim. Ride bike. Swim. Get pissed off at work. Swim. >100F. Swim.
    We do have a community pool, but it’s a few miles away and tiny. We were thinking the kids need to find rich friends in the neighborhood who have pools.

I was planning for a hot tub, but having a pool for the kids (10, 10 and 6) would be nice.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

What size pool?

Who is going to provide the pool warranty (leaks) if something goes wrong with the pool?

Is this a fiberglass pool or poured/gunite?

How much learning/time per month do you want to spend maintaining it?

Cage or no cage?

Salt or chlorine?

Do you plan to install a heater? What months do you plan to swim?

What are your HOA restrictions / approval process?

What is your budget?

We had a 5,500 gal chlorine-based kidney-shaped pool w cage installed in our 1,700 ft sq 3/2 Villa last year for 40k, as part of the purchase/construction. Taylor Morrison subbed it out to Coast to Coast Pools. We pay a service $120/mo for pool service. We may opt to put in a gas or electric heater this fall but currently unheated. Pool is swimmable from May to October, which is typical for our area (Sarasota).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    We do have a community pool, but it’s a few miles away and tiny. We were thinking the kids need to find rich friends in the neighborhood who have pools.

I was planning for a hot tub, but having a pool for the kids (10, 10 and 6) would be nice.
    The kids will be grown faster than you think. Sun shelf and shallow end for when they're little and deep end for 2 years from now when they're "grown".

Honestly.... If you can truly shut it down and cover it for the winter, maintaining it for the swim season is no worse than mowing the lawn.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Name:  IMG_20220519_181726785_HDR.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  39.9 KB
    From 5 minutes ago. My retired parents installed a pool 3 years ago and they don't seem to regret it. It's definitely some maintenance, but they open and winterize it on their own. Grandkids absolutely love it.

Grading, excavation, pool installation, plumbing, wiring, patio, retaining wall, privacy fence and landscaping was around $30k. This was just prior to Covid/Biden economy, so probably double that for the same thing today.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    What size pool?

Who is going to provide the pool warranty (leaks) if something goes wrong with the pool?

Is this a fiberglass pool or poured/gunite?

How much learning/time per month do you want to spend maintaining it?

Cage or no cage?

Salt or chlorine?

Do you plan to install a heater? What months do you plan to swim?

What are your HOA restrictions / approval process?

What is your budget?

We had a 5,500 gal chlorine-based kidney-shaped pool w cage installed in our 1,700 ft sq 3/2 Villa last year for 40k, as part of the purchase/construction. Taylor Morrison subbed it out to Coast to Coast Pools. We pay a service $120/mo for pool service. We may opt to put in a gas or electric heater this fall but currently unheated. Pool is swimmable from May to October, which is typical for our area (Sarasota).
    I am about 40 minutes North of Sarasota. 40K is a bargain for a pool! I have an estimate from Jan, for a basic, 288 sq ft pool that came at $83k with a cage from Natural Spring pools. My neighbor who is doing the DIY thing, will pay approximately 85k but for a larger 630 sq ft pool with a spa and a cage.

Good points about warranty. I haven't considered that. I was thinking of doing maintenance myself, if it's not too work intensive. HOA seems to be pretty open minded, but they do have to approve it.

I am leaning towards salt.
    Frankly, the more I think about, the less I want to sink that much money.

Buddy of mine is having a salt water pool put in soon. He said 60k. North Alabama.

He’s gotta move septic field lines first. 6k for that.

I recoiled in horror.

User Tag List