Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tip for Coin Cell Battery Storage

Tip for Coin Cell Battery Storage

Most of us here are now heavily invested in 2032 and 1632 battery operated optics. For me, between my Vortex Razor 1-6 and various Holosun rifle and pistol dots, I like to keep the batteries in my range bag, EDC backpack, and a bunch at home even though a most of these optics have crazy good battery life. I came up with a good solution that takes up very little space and easily fits in an AR pistol grip.
    On Amazon you can buy 1"x1" thick gauge (mine are 2.4 mil) little ziploc bags intended for jewelry. I bought a pack of 200 for a little over $5. They fit both types perfectly and have a tiny footprint for storage. They open easily if you pinch the top with your thumb and forefinger and push your thumb forward to roll it. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, but it helps to share and have photos.
    Name:  20220518_142310.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  20.1 KB

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Walmart and probably other places like Hobby Lobby have a variety of small ziploc bags in the hobby section. I get the 3 smallest sizes most often. Theyre handy for small parts, med doses, keeping cartridges clean and handy in certain amounts, AAA batteries for my lights and widgets available in the vehicle, tool box, day pack and kitchen drawer, keeping sanitizing wipes active and available in your pocket, keeping folded up dog poop bags handy in the vehicle or jacket pockets ready to go, some sunflower seeds handy when driving, putting grungy hardware in to take to the hardware store to get replacements,.....
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I usually buy batteries in bulk and seal them up with the impulse sealer on my vacuum sealer. I DON’T use the vacuum feature though. Some told me using the vacuum could damage the batteries.

Rad post... I’ve been doing this for a while because Duracell locks their batteries in a safe of plastic. The plastic meth baggies allow access without tools. I now keep scissors in my kit to cut the batteries out of their sarcophagus... that said the dime bags, made in advance, are the best.

Site Supporter
    Looks "dope" Trey!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I’ve used blue painters tape to cover up and seal them to stuff into my AR grip or the void in a Glock grip.

Keep them well out of reach of kids

I stopped buying the bulk packs for cheap (OP mentioned he bought a 200 pack for $5). Seems like a good deal at the time, but there's usually a catch. The batteries are usually expired, counterfeit (packaged as a reputable brand but are not) and usually won't last very long. Most clip-on guitar tuners use this same battery, and I was wondering why they all of a sudden were eating up these batteries at such a fast rate. Turns out the batteries were crap. Switch back to Duracell or another reputable brand bought from a reputable retailer (not some shady seller on Amazon, eBay, etc.) and all was well again.

I still use those batteries in my guitar tuners since it isn't a critical application, but for red dots I'm no longer cheaping out or skimping on batteries. In the end the convenience and peace of mind knowing that my red dot battery won't fail on me in the most inconvenient moment (or worse, if my life depends on it) is worth the cost of spending a few more dollars on batteries.

As far as storage, many that come in blister packs (like Duracell) are also further encased in a heavier plastic to child-proof them, making them nearly impossible for small children to get them out of the package and swallow them. I just take a set of trauma shears and cut around the battery, keeping them in the child proof portion, which leaves you with a very small footprint that can be stored in an AR pistol grip, range bag, (I have a few in an Altoids tin in my range bag with a few other small parts like a Glock tool, small Beretta choke wrench, spare charging handle for my semi-auto shotgun, etc.) while also remaining child proof and no chance they can short each other out if two batteries touch.

I keep a set of trauma shears in my range bag (awesome tool that is vastly underrated and everyone should have in their range bag IMO), along with a multi-tool, and always have a pocket knife on me, so it's never an issue having to open up one of the packages if I have an optic battery that needs to be replaced. But to further prevent that I have a routine that I took from others, which is to pick a day of the year (or every other year, or whatever your comfortable with based on your experience and battery life stated by the manufacturer of the red dot), which is to replace all your red dot batteries on the same day, be it your birthday, New Year's Day, etc. This ensures for the most part that you'll never end up with a battery going down at the most inopportune moment. I'm guessing that the firearm that has the red dot cost quite a bit of money, so setting a reminder/making it a habit to replace the batteries every year or whatever schedule your comfortable with isn't going to break the bank.
    Last edited by Guns&Guitars; 05-29-2022 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns&Guitars View Post
    I stopped buying the bulk packs for cheap (OP mentioned he bought a 200 pack for $5). Seems like a good deal at the time, but there's usually a catch. The batteries are usually expired, counterfeit (packaged as a reputable brand but are not) and usually won't last very long. Most clip-on guitar tuners use this same battery, and I was wondering why they all of a sudden were eating up these batteries at such a fast rate. Turns out the batteries were crap. Switch back to Duracell or another reputable brand bought from a reputable retailer (not some shady seller on Amazon, eBay, etc.) and all was well again.

I still use those batteries in my guitar tuners since it isn't a critical application, but for red dots I'm no longer cheaping out or skimping on batteries. In the end the convenience and peace of mind knowing that my red dot battery won't fail on me in the most inconvenient moment (or worse, if my life depends on it) is worth the cost of spending a few more dollars on batteries.

As far as storage, many that come in blister packs (like Duracell) are also further encased in a heavier plastic to child-proof them, making them nearly impossible for small children to get them out of the package and swallow them. I just take a set of trauma shears and cut around the battery, keeping them in the child proof portion, which leaves you with a very small footprint that can be stored in an AR pistol grip, range bag, (I have a few in an Altoids tin in my range bag with a few other small parts like a Glock tool, small Beretta choke wrench, spare charging handle for my semi-auto shotgun, etc.) while also remaining child proof and no chance they can short each other out if two batteries touch.

I keep a set of trauma shears in my range bag (awesome tool that is vastly underrated and everyone should have in their range bag IMO), along with a multi-tool, and always have a pocket knife on me, so it's never an issue having to open up one of the packages if I have an optic battery that needs to be replaced. But to further prevent that I have a routine that I took from others, which is to pick a day of the year (or every other year, or whatever your comfortable with based on your experience and battery life stated by the manufacturer of the red dot), which is to replace all your red dot batteries on the same day, be it your birthday, New Year's Day, etc. This ensures for the most part that you'll never end up with a battery going down at the most inopportune moment. I'm guessing that the firearm that has the red dot cost quite a bit of money, so setting a reminder/making it a habit to replace the batteries every year or whatever schedule your comfortable with isn't going to break the bank.
    You misread my post. I bought a 200 pack of the little ziploc bags, not the batteries. I only use Duracell batteries in optics.

User Tag List