Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 360 awareness while pumping gas

Likewise- I've gotten panhandled a few times over the years while pumping gas, and last time had to yell at a guy to get back (he did).
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Who steals from a dojo where you can see people beating the shit out of each other? Evidently people do...
    A lot is said about predators and their victim selection, but there are a lot of stoned/stupid criminals who just look for opportunities without forethought about the probability of success.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    A lot is said about predators and their victim selection, but there are a lot of stoned/stupid criminals who just look for opportunities without forethought about the probability of success.
    That's an important principle to keep in mind. When my dad was teaching me to drive, I remember him telling me to plan for other drivers to do the stupidest thing possible. That has probably saved my life many times.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

That's an important principle to keep in mind. When my dad was teaching me to drive, I remember him telling me to plan for other drivers to do the stupidest thing possible. That has probably saved my life many times.
    There was a Neil Stephenson book where certain criminals were required to get "Poor Impulse Control" tattoos on their foreheads.

One cognitive difficulty that muggles have when they are dealing with criminals is that people can become deadly violent over incredibly stupid things.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    There was a Neil Stephenson book where certain criminals were required to get "Poor Impulse Control" tattoos on their foreheads.

One cognitive difficulty that muggles have when they are dealing with criminals is that people can become deadly violent over incredibly stupid things.
    Wish I could like this more than once. One of the things I struggle with is that there is a culture that mandates violence in response to perceived disrespect. I know it intellectually, but it is so alien to me that a simple misunderstanding can turn into a fight with essentially no perceived escalation. Almost got me in trouble on a few occasions.

December 2020 CT filling station camera footage. Action starts at 0:38.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LG4...gR4AUer16/view

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    filling station camera footage
    I have no idea when and where and I don't have the link, but I remember a similar incident where the lady was very quick thinking, took the gas spigot in her hand and turned it on her assailant letting him have it full blast in the face. He departed immediately.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have no idea when and where and I don't have the link, but I remember a similar incident where the lady was very quick thinking, took the gas spigot in her hand and turned it on her assailant letting him have it full blast in the face. He departed immediately.
    That would have been a nice move in this case - even while he was in the car (well, Volvo SUV).

Site Supporter
    Exactly what my dad told me and I told both of my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Snow Crash. Raven was an "interesting" character, yeah.

User Tag List