Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 360 awareness while pumping gas

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    how useful a small snubby in the pocket is.
    I can get a firing grip on it while it is still in there, summer or winter, and nobody around me is the wiser.

I cannot get a firing grip on the Glock in my JMCK IWB belt holster under whatever concealment I am wearing without telegraphing a whole lot to the world. Some years ago @Mas taught me that, and helped me understand the advantage it offers, both in stealth and the advantage having that firing grip has on the actual speed of response if it has to come into play.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Regarding "it's not likely to happen in my area" I totally get that. For the folks who carry "only in the bad part of town" (no one on this forum) I ask them, what do you do about the two dudes who just took the off-ramp from the freeway cruising down your street. As Tom Givens explained it in class, they just need your car, and you need to be dead. It's nothing personal. The story of the Petit murders is also a sobering read, if you are not familiar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshi...vasion_murders
    I've gotten the ol "what do you need a gun around here for?" Multiple times. I can't wrap my mind around how people don't realize that other people move around in the world just like they do. For instance there was an incident last year in Bow, NH(one of the wealthiest communities in nh) where a home owner came home to find three people in his house robbing the place. They kicked the shit out of him and ran off. Turns out these guys were from Massachusetts. They had driven to bow week or so earlier to scout out some homes and just so happened to choose his. They lived over an hour away in another state...I personally know sombody who lives waaay the fuck up in Northern NH. He had his snowmobile stolen from his barn because he had a company from Massachusetts come and do some work on his property. Within a week his barn had been broken into and I believe two of his expensive snowmobiles were loaded into a trailer and taken. It was a solid 5 hour drive for these guys to come and do what they did.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

As someone who travels a lot at night, I frequently fill up at night. My usual practices:

1) Cruise the lot when first arriving. Look like I am searching for an open pump while keeping an eye on what is happening. If the area is not well lit and/or looks unsafe, leave. I tend to favor well-frequented truck stops or larger chains with fair amounts of traffic. Lots of people loitering is a sign to keep moving.

2) Park my vehicle at the pump so I can leave by driving forward. Park with the vehicle close to the pump.

3). When I exit the vehicle, I close and lock the doors. That avoids someone doing a snatch and grab. I also do not have stuff visible in the passenger compartment. My phone is in my pocket (not in my hand), the charging cable hidden in the center console, and any luggage/briefcase is hidden. No visible loose change anywhere (my wife is bad about dumping change into the cupholders).

4) Keep my head on a swivel while fueling. A J-frame, as noted, is ideal for this. I have also used a Seecamp LWS-32 for this. Do not act like a victim and most predators will stay away. The ones that do lock ON are trouble as they are willing to go against someone who is not a sheep. Only happened to me once and it ended with no issue.

5). When finished fueling, get back in the vehicle and lock the doors. If I need to use the restroom, I drive the car to a parking area closer to the building, exit, and lock it. Do not leave the vehicle unattended at the pump.
    Last edited by farscott; 03-03-2021 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Afterward, I realized why the dude was so shifty: he was terrified of us--three guys hitting and grappling each other in the dark, and one of them a monster.
    Maybe because he's a really nice guy who parks by out of the way dumpsters. Or maybe he needed his next hit of whatever real bad, and his plan to separate one of you and score cash didn't pan out. Nobody else popped out while three of you were there, but that doesn't mean he didn't have an amigo nearby.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    5). When finished fueling, get back in the vehicle and lock the doors. If I need to use the restroom, I drive the car to a parking area closer to the building, exit, and lock it. Do not leave the vehicle unattended at the pump.
    People should do this anyways, especially if they’re blocking one of the two diesel pumps.... damned heathens.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I can get a firing grip on it while it is still in there, summer or winter, and nobody around me is the wiser.

I cannot get a firing grip on the Glock in my JMCK IWB belt holster under whatever concealment I am wearing without telegraphing a whole lot to the world. Some years ago @Mas taught me that, and helped me understand the advantage it offers, both in stealth and the advantage having that firing grip has on the actual speed of response if it has to come into play.
    This is one of the many reasons why I frequently pocket carry a J-frame.

I have on one occasion done a surreptitious draw to the "behind the thigh low ready" in a dark parking lot and no one was the wiser. My affect was enough to keep anyone from dying that night, but I bet that 638 would have been a big surprise.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    (I couldn't find a better thread for this uneventful but possibly interesting MUC story, so let's resurrect this one). Last night my martial arts group was training outdoors on a school field, in low light. There has been increased criminal activity in the area, including a homeless camp where people attacked firefighters, three major burglaries, vandalism, and assault of a gas station worker. Because of that, we always pay attention. Around 9pm a fit, grungy looking dude in his 20's approached carrying jumper cables and asked if any of us had a car. Just as I was about to tell him we were busy, the instructor volunteered to help. The three of us went to the guy's vehicle. I had time to grab a flashlight and put my CCW on.

The dude's car was parked in a weird place, next to a large dumpster behind a grocery in a location mostly hidden from view. He was acting very nervous and kept fishing around in his pocket. While our third guy (6'4" 240lb active military) positioned his vehicle to provide light, I looked for any other individuals and couldn't see any. The instructor jumped the dude's car, and I was well positioned with my handheld light. I tried some friendly conversation with the dude, but he didn't seem like he wanted to talk. The whole situation seemed like a robbery waiting to happen. But nothing did. The car started, the dude got in his car with a mumbled thanks, and started talking on his phone. We left and got back to training.

Afterward, I realized why the dude was so shifty: he was terrified of us--three guys hitting and grappling each other in the dark, and one of them a monster.
    Maybe he wanted to show you what he was willing to do for a Klondike Bar?
    If this was going to be a robbery, his victim selection skills suck.
    Bunch of folks rolling around trying to fold each other into different shapes? Dude, I'm not even a robber and that trips my "oh, fuck no!!" switch.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Maybe he wanted to show you what he was willing to do for a Klondike Bar?
    If this was going to be a robbery, his victim selection skills suck.
    Bunch of folks rolling around trying to fold each other into different shapes? Dude, I'm not even a robber and that trips my "oh, fuck no!!" switch.
    Maybe they looked tired...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Maybe they looked tired...
    Still "fuck no".
    It reminds me of the MENSA candidates who select Bolke for their wounded baby gazelle. Really? whelp, good luck!!
    Kind of like me uttering, if I can just get that Southnarc dude to the ground, I'll have a real chance.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Still "fuck no".
    It reminds me of the MENSA candidates who select Bolke for their wounded baby gazelle. Really? whelp, good luck!!
    Kind of like me uttering, if I can just get that Southnarc dude to the ground, I'll have a real chance.
    Sometimes you just gotta know your limitations...

I arrested a huge, (like defensive end huge), guy one time down in Miami, and threw him the cuffs to put on himself. He asked me what he was supposed to do with them and I told him to put them on, he was too big for me to fight and I didn't want to have to shoot him.

He laughed and we got along fine...after he put the cuffs on and I got him in the vehicle.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List