Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long term gas storage

Ive had little trouble with older fuel. I tried to get pure gas for the Honda gen I use in the 4runner for my hillbilly AC setup, but forgot to run the carb dry before the end of the season the first year, and it started up with I think 6 pulls in spring after sitting 5 or 6 months. Next year, similar, only no pure gas. Same deal, it started in 6 pulls first of the season and one pull afterwards. Been the same each year since, this past winter it stayed in the cargo box outside all winter instead of coming in the garage. No treatment of any kind.

My Stihl chain saw has sat for up to 3 years I think with the same gas, it took more pulls to start but was fine once running. never had the carb apart in 25 years or so. I think the oil in the gas helps in that regard.

End of The World Y2K version, Dad got a 30 gallon drum to keep his gen going, and several 5 and other size cans. All were full that fateful night. Most of it sat around 3 or 4 years until he told me to get rid of it however. I pumped some out and ran it in my 89 Nissan PU, mixing it about 1/3 old gas 2/3 newer gas. It had a varnishy smell, and the truck ran a little funky, but no major issues, I burned it all up in that fashion. I couldnt tell any difference in the truck when it had all fresh gas in it, the funky stuff didnt seem to hurt it.

I had a half dozen or so 30 gallon drums to get gas for my work truck, i never drove it to town so had to haul gas. Some of it ended up sitting a couple years, outside, sun, cold, whatever. I had no trouble with any of it. It may have been before ethanol was common in my area but I dont recall, I was mainly doing it in the 00s.

BTW, 30 gallon drums are not difficult for one person to handle, 55 gallon drums are. Id take them on my flatbed to get gas, when home Id roll them to the back of the trailer, lay it down, tip it off and let it drop the last few inches to the ground, then tip it and roll it to the area I stored it in. The hand farm pumps work well. I got the drums from lube suppliers and got ones that had some sort of oil in them. Whatever was left in them i ignored, it never seemed to cause any problem and I knew it wasnt rusty when i got it.

ive long heard of the issues with gas if is sits but so far ive not had any problems, even with ethanol gas. Ive had stabil around but seem to always forget to put it in. I think I have some almost 20 year old stabil, still full.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

If you can't use up what you have on hand in 12-months, you're storing too much; it's really that simple.

Shelf-life on gasoline should be measured in 6-month increments. 6-months without Stabil, 12-months with Stabil, use it up by the end of that 12-months.

Best way to improve old gas is with new gas. If you're concerned the quality of your stored gas is going, mixing in 20% of new gas into old gas, will get you through that batch.

We keep a 5-gallon can on hand, primarily because my backup 'generator' is the FJ with an inverter and because sometimes I need to fill the scooter. At 6-months, I fill up the scooter and then dump the remaining amount into the the vehicle with the lowest tank and go over to Costco and fill up the can and the vehicle and start a-new.

I always have nearly 5-gallons on hand.

And I don't store gasoline to hedge against gas prices, nor do I think that's a wise idea. I adjust my budget/investments/spending/usage. Gasoline is a resource with a shelf life. You just can't really buy it cheap, stack it deep, unless you're going to get into underground storage tanks with lots of volume. You should stack ammo, gold, silver, reloading components, steel, aluminum, welding supplies, tools, lumber, when that stuff is cheap. Food and Gasoline you have to adjust for at some level, which is why you bought cheap and stacked deep the other stuff in the past, to not have to spend more now, right?

If you're prepping for end-of-the-world stuff disregard. I am not. I am preparing for minor ups and downs of a market and peace time. I'm not preparing to ride out the end of the world. When that comes, I'm planning to go with it. Because a world without fresh roasted coffee is not a world I want to live in.

User Tag List