Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long term gas storage

I always thought 3 months with ethanol and 6 months no ethanol with no treatment.
    I went to their website and it says up to two years with stabil depending apparently on the date code of your bottle not the day you add it to the gas. I did not email the mfg for clarification, I could have interpreted it incorrectly.
    I always thought ethanol attracts moisture thus the shorter shelf life.

HOW OLD IS YOUR BOTTLE?

The stamp/code on the back of the bottle will help determine the date it was manufactured.
    For example: 16264-87649-2233. This bottle based on the code was made on the 264th day of the year 2016. In the first five numbers, the first two numbers determine the year (in this case 16) and the last three numbers (264) tell you what day in the year based on the JULIAN Date Calendar.

https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta...AaAkC3EALw_wcB
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Gas treatments are not what they may seem. Research the MSDS sheets for the products you are using.
    Some may show up to 95% petroleum distillates. So the question becomes what does it really do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I have been using one year old stabilized mixed gas in my chainsaws this spring - I had 12 gallons left over from summer - without issue. At least I think so.

Six months is a good rotation but I don't see a reason you can't go 12 with a stabilizer.

I use Stabile but bought some AMSOIL to try soon.
    I’m not singling you out, I’m just using your post to remind folks that good gas does help, but the key to maintaining small engine slime chainsaws, mowers, generators, etc, is starting it and running it once a month, every month.
    #RESIST

I always bought 93, figuring if it lost some octane I would have farther to slide. Lately a nearby place started offering no ethanol gas for power tools and I have been buying that. With the motorcycles I top off and add stabilizer and take them on a last ride and that has worked well, including with the two carbureted bikes I have now. For the two-strokes (including when I had snowmobiles) I think the modern synthetic oil is a big help, and I know the stuff I buy from Stihl is supposed to have a stabilizer additive in it, and I have had no troubles with them doing really nothing other than putting them in the shed when I am done.

But here is my question/tangent/hijack:
    We just bought a used boat in October. We have not yet had it in the water and not yet put any gas of my own in it, and it looks to be about half full. The capacity is supposed to be 120gal, so I might have a 50-70gal of fuel I do not know the history of. The guy I got it from had cash and repowered it, so I do not think it has ancient gas in it, but he had several boats so it could have fuel in it that is a couple years old. The engine is four-stroke, but it is supercharged (300 Verado), and I am contemplating what a good idea(s) might be.

I could figure out a way to pull it out of the boat, but that is a shitload of gas to manage. And pulling it out of the supercharged boat just to put it in the turbocharged car and truck seems like something Dumb and Dumber might do, though the boat will see WOT more than the car or truck will. Well, maybe the truck... But if I have a drum of gas in the shed it will take forever to try and run it all through the mower and ATV and motorcycles. I guess I could get one of those 30gal fuel caddys, but they are $300 and I will use it once, and then probably sell it. Or I could get like a race car fuel cell and put it on a little trailer I am not using, I could figure something out but it is a shitload of gas that I would rather just leave in the boat and burn.

So I am wondering what additives might be a good idea. I put marine Stabil in it before I stored it, I am not worry about it starting and running, I am more worried about the potential negatives of poor fuel in a supercharged engine. It will be smart to not run it hard until it has burned through most of the older gas, but that sounds good on paper. I am one of the believers that just knows the first motorcycle race occurred the day they built the second motorcycle, I am pretty sure the boat is going to become acquainted with WOT before I have the patience to burn through a half a tank of gas. I am also wondering about should I fill the thing up with fresh gas, or does that just leave me with more lame gas. And please do not remind me how much 120gal of gas is going to cost, I just don't want to not spend an extra ~$100 on additives and wish I had.

Anyway, lots of knowledgeable folks here, am interested in opinions.

I go well past a year. Ethanol free, Stabil, 5 gallon safety cans.

Mower and weed eater fire right up.

Regards.

depending on where you are, ethanol-free is the hard part. Unfortunately https://www.pure-gas.org/ has not proven to be super accurate in my AOR.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    I go well past a year. Ethanol free, Stabil, 5 gallon safety cans.

Mower and weed eater fire right up.

Regards.
    Is stabil necessary with ethanol free?

Quote Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
    Is stabil necessary with ethanol free?
    Yes, ethanol-free gas will cause shellac if not treated with Stabil. When treated, I have had gasoline last for more than two years with no issues. I used to run Stabil in ethanol-free gas year around for my small engines with no issues. My Exmark mower had treated gas in it for almost three years, and it still starts on the first pull every time.

Site Supporter
    3 years I have gotten out of stored gas in 2 5gallon gas cans treated with startron enzyme fuel treatment. I worry more about the engines not running than I do the gas honestly.

I can tell a story here.

I have an old Honda Shadow motorcycle that sat in the garage for at least 4 years with a dead battery due to crazy work and lack of desire. I decided to get it running and service it to preclude it degrading, I was fully expecting to have to pull the carbs and rebuild them. I bought a new battery, drained the tank and refilled with fresh gas. After cranking a while it fired right up like it always did. No carb work necessary. It did have Stabil treated E0 gas when it was stored and it was also kept inside my attached garage so there was no rust in the tank. I credit Stabil for saving me some carb work. That gas was some kinda nasty rank when I emptied it but it did no damage.

User Tag List