Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta New Release, APX A1

Site Supporter
    Has anyone here shot one of these yet? ArmsUnlimited has them for $399 (LINK) which is proving difficult to resist. My money would be better spent on ammo for my Glocks. My money would be better spent on ammo for Glocks. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Just got to handle one of these at the NRA show here in Houston. I really like the features and look of the a1, but something I immediately noticed was that this has a trigger trough that is similar to those on the hk45/p30 and it felt like it would really irritate my trigger finger while shooting.

Anyone else notice this?

Got to put my hands on one at a local shop. The trigger was a little bit lighter than the original and felt like about a half pound or so reduction. Not a lot but noticeable. Waiting for the Centurion version.

I had a chance to handle and dryfire one at a high volume LGS the other day. I was impressed with the ergos and general feel; it really looks like a quality offering. The controls are very well placed and shaped for access. The standard tritium front sight is a very nice addition, and reeinforces my impressions as this gun being a quality and genuine product.

My only qualms were that 1) it comes with 2 magazines, instead of the 3 Glock issues; and 2) the triggerpull has a very soft break; great for competition, not necessarily so great for duty/EDC in my opinion. The break struck me as being similar to, but lighter than, the break on my HK VP. In a SFS, I personally prefer a slightly harder, more discernable wall/break, like on a Glock.

If I were looking for a duty-size, but easily carried and conceiled 9mm, this would be very high on my list for consideration and selection.

Best, Jon

I jumped on one of these since they are currently going for sub $400. I've been eyeballing this pistol since May. It was between the APX A1 and the PX4 Storm CC. Since it costs my firstborn's soul to get a red dot on a PX4/92, I decided the APX A1 was right for me. I am also a bit of a Beretta fanboy.

Damage So Far:

Beretta APX A1
    Beretta APX A1 Trijicon optics plate
    Holosun 507c w/ ACSS Vulcan (red)
    Streamlight TLR-1 HL
    Philster Floodlight OWB

The two major complaints I've seen with this pistol is that removing the RDO plate screws can be nearly impossible and that the slide coating/paint is not very strong. I'm debating bringing it to a gunsmith to remove the RDO screws since I've already had close calls with my 1301. Other than that, holsters for light and red dot don't really exist right now. This is nothing new for me, I also have a 92A1. The Floodlight holster should work well for both.

I'll update when I have everything together.
    "Follow me!"

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by trajiiic View Post
    I jumped on one of these since they are currently going for sub $400. I've been eyeballing this pistol since May. It was between the APX A1 and the PX4 Storm CC. Since it costs my firstborn's soul to get a red dot on a PX4/92, I decided the APX A1 was right for me. I am also a bit of a Beretta fanboy.

Damage So Far:

Beretta APX A1
    Beretta APX A1 Trijicon optics plate
    Holosun 507c w/ ACSS Vulcan (red)
    Streamlight TLR-1 HL
    Philster Floodlight OWB

The two major complaints I've seen with this pistol is that removing the RDO plate screws can be nearly impossible and that the slide coating/paint is not very strong. I'm debating bringing it to a gunsmith to remove the RDO screws since I've already had close calls with my 1301. Other than that, holsters for light and red dot don't really exist right now. This is nothing new for me, I also have a 92A1. The Floodlight holster should work well for both.

I'll update when I have everything together.
    Sounds like a pretty solid package, certainly interested in pics and range reports.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I've seen a couple of videos where the APX RDO cover plate screws were discussed. I may just be lucky, but I found "nearly impossible" to be "easy." Do not use anything but a 2mm hex bit for the screws and you should be fine. My guess is that people are trying to use a 1/16" bit and while it might seem like it will work if there is just a little too much thread locker or not enough downward pressure the screw can strip really easily. I usually clamp the slide to my bench before I try to move the screws and use as short a handle for the driver as possible.

I've had mine in and out of a kydex holster and the finish seems fine. The finish is more like a paint or Cerakote than the "A0" but I expect kydex to wear it over time so it doesn't matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberiad View Post
    I've seen a couple of videos where the APX RDO cover plate screws were discussed. I may just be lucky, but I found "nearly impossible" to be "easy." Do not use anything but a 2mm hex bit for the screws and you should be fine. My guess is that people are trying to use a 1/16" bit and while it might seem like it will work if there is just a little too much thread locker or not enough downward pressure the screw can strip really easily. I usually clamp the slide to my bench before I try to move the screws and use as short a handle for the driver as possible.

I've had mine in and out of a kydex holster and the finish seems fine. The finish is more like a paint or Cerakote than the "A0" but I expect kydex to wear it over time so it doesn't matter to me.
    Thanks for the tips. I'll do exactly that. I planned on using a heat gun on the slide to soften any thread locker that might be in there also. The rumor I heard was early production guns either had too much thread locker or "red" thread locker.

I'm glad the slide finish has held up. I don't mind scratches for a carry gun, it's more about preventing rust.

What optic did you choose? There's tons of options out there right now. This is my first RDO pistol, but I've shot a few examples.
    "Follow me!"

Quote Originally Posted by trajiiic View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I'll do exactly that. I planned on using a heat gun on the slide to soften any thread locker that might be in there also. The rumor I heard was early production guns either had too much thread locker or "red" thread locker.

I'm glad the slide finish has held up. I don't mind scratches for a carry gun, it's more about preventing rust.

What optic did you choose? There's tons of options out there right now. This is my first RDO pistol, but I've shot a few examples.
    I had a DPP laying around. I don't intend to carry the gun but I do shoot IDPA and 'outlaw' matches with it.

I was reading through the APX A0 and APX A1 manual. I was curious about the take down but stumbled across something interesting.

The APX A0 manual shows a nitride coating for the barrel and slide. The APX A1 shows a "painted" slide and a blued steel barrel. I'm not surprised that they had to cut costs somewhere to offer the new features of the A1 at the same price. The frame for both shows stainless steel, but the APX A0 has a black coating where the APX A1 doesn't.

The Glock Store isn't far from me. So, I'm considering doing some Cerakote work with them if the price is right. Rust hasn't been a big issue with my S&W Shield Gen 1, except for the magazine release spring. But I figure with the $200 Glock tax saved I can make it look nice. We'll see.
    "Follow me!"

User Tag List