Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Beretta New Release, APX A1

Vending Machine Operator
    I received and am favorably impressed by my A1 Compact (I do wish they still called it Centurion but I get wanting to be clear)

My main gripe with the A0 was the Toblarone slide, which I felt was fairly useless for purchase. The new serrations are really nice. Grabby and deep.

Shooting results will tell more, I have had some trouble shooting the A0 trigger well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I’ve never fired an A0 before, but from what I read the improvement is there but slight. Performance striker spring and the trigger safety fits flush in the trigger when you press the trigger. The A1 trigger is ok to me, not bad and not great but more than good enough. There is something a little odd about it, can’t really put my finger on it (no pun ended) but I’m use to and like Glock triggers so it could just be me.

Site Supporter
    @Ben_G

My shooting buddy has a brand new APXA1 he bought back in February or March.

Clean and lubed on his first range trip, it had 6+ failures to eject in 50 rounds of 115 brass factory ammo.
    He is a good B class USPSA shooter, but he had me shoot some 124 through it to see if that worked.
    PMC 124 cycled 2 handed, but would FTE every shot one handed. Norma 124 cycled one handed, but the slide was very soft.
    There is no extra friction in the moving parts etc, but the recoil spring itself is extremely heavy compared to any other 9mm we have handled. The OEM 17lb Glock spring feels like a tuned gamer gun in comparison when hand cycling.
    I really think the recoil spring on it is just way too heavy. Do you happen to know the factory spec?
    Is this the spring in the A1? It mentions a heavier spring rate. https://www.beretta.com/en-us/produc...-apx-fs-C8G251

Would an original spec APX (Pre A1) spring work? I think with a lighter spring it would run like a top.
    https://www.beretta.com/en-us/produc...ssembly-C8C680

Name:  IMG_0130.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  68.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0129.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  57.0 KB

Did you try any Nato rounds or defensive stuff? One of my p30s would choke on weaker ammo until it had a few hundred rounds through it.

Maybe a week or so of racking the slide in dry fire?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Did you try any Nato rounds or defensive stuff? One of my p30s would choke on weaker ammo until it had a few hundred rounds through it.

Maybe a week or so of racking the slide in dry fire?
    This is a good suggestion. My standard protocol for new non-Glocks is to clean and lube the pistol prior to first shooting and to run a box or two of 124 gr NATO rounds through it. Having said that, it does sound like this Beretta may be over-sprung.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    This is a good suggestion. My standard protocol for new non-Glocks is to clean and lube the pistol prior to first shooting and to run a box or two of 124 gr NATO rounds through it. Having said that, it does sound like this Beretta may be over-sprung.
    @EVP Yes that was the point- he’d tried 115, I tried PMC 124 and then Norma 124- Norma is a little hotter

Site Supporter
    Several years ago I ran a bunch of 124-grain ammo over my chronograph with my full-size PX4. Going from memory, PMC was the slowest, barely making it over 1,000 fps - I think the average velocity was 1002 fps. Most of the other standard pressure stuff ran ~1060-1110 fps, the NATO stuff ran 1160-1180 fps, and +P HST ran 1185 IIRC.

I have no experience with the APX series, just presenting this FYI.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Several years ago I ran a bunch of 124-grain ammo over my chronograph with my full-size PX4. Going from memory, PMC was the slowest, barely making it over 1,000 fps - I think the average velocity was 1002 fps. Most of the other standard pressure stuff ran ~1060-1110 fps, the NATO stuff ran 1160-1180 fps, and +P HST ran 1185 IIRC.

I have no experience with the APX series, just presenting this FYI.
    Yes, that’s why I’m not surprised that the 115 failed 2 handed, PMC failed one handed but worked 2, and the Norma (1150 FPS) seemed to work with one hand.

User Tag List