Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 90 degree pistol grips?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I started wondering because I see the ones LL and I linked on a lot of PRS type rifles but I also see those guys lay the firing hand thumb along side the stock instead of wrapping it around the grip. I can't imagine it would be comfortable on the wrist with a big boomer if gripped like a traditional pistol grip or AR grip.

I've seen them on short stocked rifles/braced pistols and I think I read it improved the wrist or arm angle but I don't recall if it was supposed to just make it feel less awkward or if there was an accuracy improvement.

Then I saw the XM5 looks like it has a pretty vertical grip and I just can't work out why.
    The thumb thing is a precision shooting technique/orthodoxy. Not a grip thing.
    #RESIST

Now it’s all making sense, thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    @CCT125US do you have arms on the shorter or longer size? I’ve got the arm length of a dude that’s 6’2” on a 5’11” frame and find that anything with more rake than the traditional AK grip (which is pretty vertical) causes wrist discomfort.

Even the BCM grip I’ve got is a little more raked than I care for.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @CCT125US do you have arms on the shorter or longer size? I’ve got the arm length of a dude that’s 6’2” on a 5’11” frame and find that anything with more rake than the traditional AK grip (which is pretty vertical) causes wrist discomfort.

Even the BCM grip I’ve got is a little more raked than I care for.
    Excellent question. I should mention I'm 5-0 125lb and have the wingspan of a penguin. So again, YMMV.
    Taking a break from social media.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    They're pretty great for bolt guns shooting prone, bipod, off bags, etc. Lets you dial trigger reach and anchor your firing hand very, very well.

It's not something I'd want on a gun that I'm going to support the weight/manipulate, run/gun with, but for making that first shot count at long distances on small targets - I'm a fan.
    I can see them being good for that. Not sure I'd like them on a gas gun however.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I can see them being good for that. Not sure I'd like them on a gas gun however.
    If I ever get around to building a Grendel or Valkyrie upper, I’d be interested in trying one because it will only be shot from a bench or tripod.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    There’s some inexpensive ones to try, I will prolly try one.

https://www.primaryarms.com/b5-syste...ive-drab-green

https://www.primaryarms.com/ergo-swi...lack-eg4093-bk

And more expensive, but pretty awesome on my precision rifle.

https://www.primaryarms.com/mdt-vert...compatible-fde
    The B5 seems like it's basically the same angle as the Magpul K2 and the comparable model BCM product, no?

I learned to shoot in the military with a squared stance and armor. Most of my shooting since has been more of the same.

For me, the closer to vertical. The better. I have not tried one of the perfectly vertical grips yet though.

For precision rifle the vertical grip helps with positioning your trigger finger at a 90 deg angle. I also place my shooting thumb on the same side as my trigger finger. Helps keep the shooting hand relaxed.

On my ARs I found the K2 grip angle to be more comfortable when holding the rifle in the downward slung position as opposed to a more traditional angled grip. When shooting, not sure I see that much difference between the K2 and say the MOE grip.

Put me in the camp of more vertical more better, though I haven't tried one of the full 90-degree grips.

I find the more vertical angle of Magpul K, Sig PDW, the B5 are all better for me. I shoot from a fairly square stance be it rifle, pistol, shotgun. Long gun stocks tends to be closer to my collar bone than outside of my shoulder, allowing me to drop my elbows in and support the weight of the gun during manipulations.

Also as HCM mentioned, it helps folks with wrist issues. If I've got a carpal tunnel flare up the reduced angle of the grip allows me to grab the gun and hold on without significant pain.

User Tag List