Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 90 degree pistol grips?

Site Supporter
    IIRC when MacMillan designed the (I think A5) stock for a military contract they took a bunch of shooters, including .mil snipers, and had them mime various shooting positions and measured and averaged the natural angle they held the wrist and the corresponding angle on the pistol grip to support those grip angles.

Other that I do not have anything else to add as I have not tried them, and don't know if I will. I am happy with my old skewl Tango Down AR grip I got from Uncle Pat.

pat

I got this ERGO GRIP around a month ago for a new SPR build. It's a fairly new offering from them, and at least for now only comes in black. I like it, the finger grooves line up for me fine and it's larger girth places my trigger finger right where it needs to be.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Interesting to see that installed. I hate grips that have a big, fat hump right in the middle of the backstrap like that. I blame Nill Griffe for taking his version of what made sense on a K frame and applying it to all the semi-autos in the world where there's no reason to start down the path of 19th-century ideas about ergonomics. German firearms makers seem particularly susceptible to it.

On the grip above, I note that while the front strap is more or less vertical, the strong taper on the upper portion of the back strap effectively makes it fairly angled as far as how the wrist will interact with it.

I haven't tried anything steeper, but I'm a fan of the BCM Mod2 grip with the biggest backstrap insert. It minimizes the effective angle created by tapering the upper portion of the backstrap.

Fully vertical AR grips make most sense to me when used on a precision chassis that takes AR grips. Plenty of chassis what have integral grips are essentially vertical, so emulating that clearly has a place.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Reptilia compact on my SBR’s & pistols. Love the angle and the palm swells.

https://reptiliacorp.com/product/cqg...r-ar-15-sr-25/

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Reptilia compact on my SBR’s & pistols. Love the angle and the palm swells.

https://reptiliacorp.com/product/cqg...r-ar-15-sr-25/
    I like the look of that...and the site seems to have somehow inferred my status as a single income dad because it's offering me four interest-free payments of $4.99 which is about my speed these days.

Anyway I initially resisted the precision chassis route for purely stupid aesthetic reasons, but eventually gave in and shifted to just not being able to afford a serious precision rifle.

But I know the MDT-Tac guys a bit, or at least the founder and some of the circle which is connected to that company. I have worked with them all a bit here and there. They know exactly what they are doing and make good stuff. The 90 degree grips are all about really precise tuning of hand placement for trigger finger control; they allow for very incremental control of fore-aft hand placement while keeping trigger press extremely linear.

I still find guns built on their LSS chassis painful to behold but I am in no position to argue with their performance and if I ever have money again I'll definitely build a gun on one of the XRS chassises's. Sadly I have a NIB custom action ready to go, and a hook up for a barrel which is also from within the MDT circle...but the chassis and trigger alone would put me into debt. And while I do have a pretty good ammo stockpile, somehow point-shooting a precision rifle seems, ironically, pointless, and glass for something like that is totally out of the question for a pretty long time.

Anyway the vertical grips hurt my eyes as well, but I've said that about half the stuff MDT has built and it's all been extremely high-performance. Of course, I know sailors who can't stand to look at a Groupe Finot like the DCNS without using a Spirit 54 as eye bleach immediately afterwards, but to me the Finot designs are very attractive. Consequently I have made the unique and original conclusion that aesthetic appeal is individual-specific, or, to put it in the most succinct, poetic and memorable way, "the beholder is the person whose eyes will be used to register whether something is beautiful."

Ah, another original insight...my work here is done.

In a strange coincidence actually I was going to do some contract writing for MDT but they were looking for insights on precision rifle so specific and unique I couldn't legitimately claim to have the technical knowledge to give them the truly expert, obscure stuff they wanted. I could do a lot of detail on why agencies were or were not switching away from .308, say, but they wanted stuff more like "how projectile metal composition interacts with the coriolis effect on >1500m shots on all compass headings." I could research that and potentially write about it but didn't feel comfortable writing material that technical without having corresponding experience to bear it out, not that they asked me to - I think they were initally overly generous in their assumptions about my skill set. I was pretty handy with a rifle at one time but not "the limiting factor in my shooting is now the microscopic variations that shift the chromatic aberration 0.04% from one zone of my Schmidt-Bender to another and until they make their entire supply chain operate in a nitrogen-filled tank I can't fix this" handy.

Anyway there's three things you can take from that anecdote: one is that recycling someone else's insights in a post about MDT is about the most obscure form of irony on the planet; two is that they're playing on a pretty serious level when it comes to long range precision, and three is that...actually I forget the third thing so let's just say three is I bet their vertical grips are on all their personal rifles and that's saying something.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I installed the new Magpul K2-XL grip on my lower today. It will be staying on my SPR build until the ODG ones become available. *For me* it is the best grip compromise that I have tried so far.

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori...2-xl-grip.html

Designed for use with larger hands, the K2-XL Grip is similar to our MOE-K2® Grip – AR15/M4 but it's nearly 25% bigger. A drop in upgrade for the AR15/M4, it offers a *more vertical grip angle*, improving comfort and control on short LOP rifles that bring the primary hand in closer to the shooter's body. The larger size of the grip also *allows proper finger placement in precision shooting*, helping improve accuracy.

With an aggressive TSP (Trapezoidal Surface Projections) texture for positive weapon control, front and rear serrations for traction, and a proprietary XL grip cap with an oil bottle grip core, the K2-XL brings modern styling and ergonomics to the AR platform in a larger size.

XL grip cap, oil bottle grip core, and mounting hardware included. Other Magpul grip cores will not fit with the K2-XL grip cap.
    Last edited by Biggy; 05-23-2022 at 04:52 PM.

User Tag List