Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 90 degree pistol grips?

90 degree pistol grips?

I see these on a lot of chassis rifles and I'm starting to see more on ARs. What's the idea behind them and is there actually a benefit?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    How 90 degrees are we talking?

I have the magpul K2 on all of my rifles and I prefer it a lot vs the traditional angle pistol grips, much more comfortable on my wrist, makes pulling the gun closer to my body easier.

If there's something more extreme in angle than that then I dunno. but the K2 is by far my preference vs anything with a grip angle similar to the A2
    Last edited by Nephrology; 05-18-2022 at 08:33 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I see these on a lot of chassis rifles and I'm starting to see more on ARs. What's the idea behind them and is there actually a benefit?
    Different tool in the tool box. 90* grips that are overly large make it easier to keep the firing hand steady while applying ounces of trigger pressure. They aren't there to run n gun, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    How 90 degrees are we talking?
    Like all 90 of those degrees: https://mdttac.com/mdt-vertical-grip-premier/

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

There’s some inexpensive ones to try, I will prolly try one.

https://www.primaryarms.com/b5-syste...ive-drab-green

https://www.primaryarms.com/ergo-swi...lack-eg4093-bk

And more expensive, but pretty awesome on my precision rifle.

https://www.primaryarms.com/mdt-vert...compatible-fde
    #RESIST

For me, I quickly removed the B5 grip on my AR. Most uncomfortable grip I have ever used. Didn't matter if it was slung in front while hiking, benched (caused actual pain, not just discomfort), or prone. Just didn't work for me. Clearly not 90 degrees, and would not consider anything more vertical. But YMMV.

Name:  20220517_211839.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  28.1 KB
    Name:  20220517_211901.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  38.9 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Like all 90 of those degrees: https://mdttac.com/mdt-vertical-grip-premier/
    Oh yikes, not for me

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Oh yikes, not for me
    They're pretty great for bolt guns shooting prone, bipod, off bags, etc. Lets you dial trigger reach and anchor your firing hand very, very well.

It's not something I'd want on a gun that I'm going to support the weight/manipulate, run/gun with, but for making that first shot count at long distances on small targets - I'm a fan.

I started wondering because I see the ones LL and I linked on a lot of PRS type rifles but I also see those guys lay the firing hand thumb along side the stock instead of wrapping it around the grip. I can't imagine it would be comfortable on the wrist with a big boomer if gripped like a traditional pistol grip or AR grip.

I've seen them on short stocked rifles/braced pistols and I think I read it improved the wrist or arm angle but I don't recall if it was supposed to just make it feel less awkward or if there was an accuracy improvement.

Then I saw the XM5 looks like it has a pretty vertical grip and I just can't work out why.

Site Supporter
    I started wondering because I see the ones LL and I linked on a lot of PRS type rifles but I also see those guys lay the firing hand thumb along side the stock instead of wrapping it around the grip. I can't imagine it would be comfortable on the wrist with a big boomer if gripped like a traditional pistol grip or AR grip.

I've seen them on short stocked rifles/braced pistols and I think I read it improved the wrist or arm angle but I don't recall if it was supposed to just make it feel less awkward or if there was an accuracy improvement.

Then I saw the XM5 looks like it has a pretty vertical grip and I just can't work out why.
    The precision side has been addressed.

On the fighting gun side. Vertical grips work better with more squared up shooting stances standing and kneeling. Particularly with the higher mounted optics used with / to enable use of NODS.

Some people also prefer then due to wrist / hand / shoulder issues.

I find the shorter the gun the more I like a vertical grip and the way it positions the hand and arm.

Angled pistol grips work better with a more bladed stance, which can be an issue if wearing armor.,

User Tag List