Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Better Accuracy in matches

Better Accuracy in matches

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    ...especially since IDPA went to 1 second per point down about 10 years ago, accuracy is still very important.
    While the time for “non-shooting” tasks is the low-hanging fruit, split times and transition times between targets in an array are still going to be important...
    Yes! Accuracy (fewer points down) is the thread topic, and this is something everyone needs to work on no matter their skill level (see @YVKs post). While shooting "sooner" by spending less time doing the non-shooting stuff (moving, transitions, reloads, splits, etc.) is important, a lot of shooters bleed points because they are not putting enough bullets in the A zone/Down Zero.

If a shooter has the skill to put two shots in a ~3-4" circle at 7 yds with 0.3s to 0.4s splits, I do not think burning a lot of ammo shooting doubles is the answer. IME, the main reason people with decent skills loose points is they aren't trying hard enough to shoot As/0's. Interestingly, this doesn't mean shooting like a turtle and over-confirming the sights. See thread below:

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    One thing has made the biggest difference in my shooting this year and I want to share it here and discuss.

Some definitions so we are all on the same page:
    • Aiming: Aligning the front and rear sights (or dot) with the target, and maintaining that alignment until the gun has fired.
    • Looking: visual perception of where you want the bullet to go.
    • Target focus: looking with eyes focused on the target, while at the same time seeing the sights (or dot).
    • Front sight focus: looking with eyes focused on the front sight, while at the same time seeing the target.

On PSTG and elsewhere, there has been a lot of discussion about how and why to use target focus with iron sights (also obviously with RDS). Front sight focus requires looking at and focusing on the target, shifting the focal plane back to the front sight, and then breaking the shot. This is slower than target focus because there is no focal plane shift.

I have been shooting target focus with irons for the past year, and it's taken a while to trust it --especially at distance.

My biggest recent improvement in shooting has come from improving my precision of looking at the intended POI. It's just like "aim small / miss small" in rifle shooting. For me it requires a ton of mental focus to create an appropriately small "sub-target" on a much larger target (e.g. image below).

My focus has shifted (so to speak) from primarily confirming the alignment of the sights, to primarily looking precisely at where I want the bullets to go. I'm looking forward to discussing this. Maybe it's something you've been doing for a long time?

Red dot added to represent where I am looking. Hits: 2A, AC to the upper A zone at match pace.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-16-2022 at 10:14 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List