Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Better Accuracy in matches

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There is no perfect substitute for shooting more live fire rounds and more matches.
    This. Dry fire is good but live fire is where I can really test my skills.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Steve m View Post
    Looking for some assistance here with some practice techniques to improve my IDPA scores.
    -shot a IDPA match last weekend, overall time was good, however my down points not (24)
    Looking for some practice tips and techniques that improve my accuracy in matches.
    There is a very little chance of getting an advice that's critical to you. Everything that was said above is both true and is also generic. There's a bunch of reasons why people shoot too many points down and most people will have more than one issue. You could be shooting too fast for your level of fundamentals, you may have issues with fundamentals, you may be too slow on your feet and try compensating by shooting fast, you may be choosing a wrong level of aggression vs control on some targets, you may be picking wrong spots on targets when trying to go faster, or it could be a mental tension that always causes physical tension.
    Without figuring why you miss you can't really pick a most time efficient fixing recipe. Some people are blessed with ability and shooting intellect to understand why they miss, and some need external help troubleshooting. Try to get analytical and sort out the patterns of dropping points, maybe post a video. Or take a good class.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Update

Well accuracy improved. Brains not so much. Last match i was assisting with the timer and tablet for scoring. When my turn came i made ready and engaged with my 11 shots (CO), reached for my reloads, mag pouches EMPTY. Complete and total brain fart. Down 32 points for that stage. All targets that I didn’t engage counted as misses. Totally my error

Well accuracy improved. Brains not so much. Last match i was assisting with the timer and tablet for scoring. When my turn came i made ready and engaged with my 11 shots (CO), reached for my reloads, mag pouches EMPTY. Complete and total brain fart. Down 32 points for that stage. All targets that I didn’t engage counted as misses. Totally my error
    Don't feel special, I have done that before. There is a reason people have pre buzzer rituals. As for your original question, 32 points down may or may not mean anything. All matches are different. I am usually one of the most accurate shooters and have been down more points than that and still finished near the top. Now if everyone else was 10 or less points down, then you may have a problem.

Site Supporter
    Wait until you are really cooking and run past an array. Ask me how I know...
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I would submit that, contrary to what @okie john said, accuracy matters more than speed in IDPA - speed when you’re shooting, that is.
    You can absolutely improve your time by concentrating on doing all the “non-shooting” things faster (moving, reloading, etc).

But I’d also submit that, especially since IDPA went to 1 second per point down about 10 years ago, accuracy is still very important.
    While the time for “non-shooting” tasks is the low-hanging fruit, split times and transition times between targets in an array are still going to be important. You can work to improve those even without movement on an indoor range.
    You’ll need a shot timer to measure your split times. See how fast you can fire a string of 2-3 shots which acceptable accuracy at different distances. I find that it varies noticeably from 5, 10, 15 and 20 yds (all common distances in IDPA).
    Then use the timer as you put controlled pairs into two targets (even hanging from the same hanger if necessary) at various ranges.
    Then try holding a sight picture on someone else’s target with the shot timer on delayed start. At the beep, transition to your target, moving your eyes, then your sights to put a controlled pair into your target.

Keep a log, so you can quantify how fast you can get acceptable hits on the above drills at various ranges. Then experiment ro see what changes in technique (support hand grip) or focus (trigger manipulation) will improve your performance.

Good luck!

ETA - I just re-read @okie john ’s post, and he actually said “time matters more than hits” (“time” as apposed to “speed”).
    So we’re actually saying very similar things.
    Just a note, steel challenge or its varieties (action steel, falling steel) are excellent for transition work. They also show where your weaknesses are and ideas for dry fire.

I have had a couple of those too. My fix is immediately after watching them score my shots, I get ready for the next stage. Admittedly that doesn't take long as I always have 18 mags (three per stage) pre-filled when I get to the match. My theory is that it may be 10 minutes or it may be 30 minutes until I shoot again, but 3-4 minutes after I shoot I am ready to go. Also, if I get to the next stage and it is one of those 'first mag loaded w/ 6 rounds only' it is a heck of a lot faster to dump out rounds into the range bag than filling an empty mag w/ 6 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I have had a couple of those too. My fix is immediately after watching them score my shots, I get ready for the next stage. Admittedly that doesn't take long as I always have 18 mags (three per stage) pre-filled when I get to the match. My theory is that it may be 10 minutes or it may be 30 minutes until I shoot again, but 3-4 minutes after I shoot I am ready to go.
    Yes, yes, YES!
    I usually pre-load enough magazines to get through a six stage club match.
    I do not have enough spares for my .45 STI, but can get through the four medium field courses I will shoot tonight and refill while the Classifiers are being set up.

if I get to the next stage and it is one of those 'first mag loaded w/ 6 rounds only' it is a heck of a lot faster to dump out rounds into the range bag than filling an empty mag w/ 6 rounds.
    Shooting a single stack with plenty of magazines on hand, I have one marked for the downloaded start (and one with Barney Bullets) so if I am shooting ESP or SS, I don't even have to do that.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I started getting ready immediately back when I didn't have mags pre-loaded. It was even more important then because loading took longer than just grabbing pre-filled mags. I have 6 mags w/ different color or marked base plates. These are loaded w/ the one extra round. The advantage of shooting the same model gun for ages is I didn't buy 18 mags all at one time, I accumulated them over several years. BTW for our Beretta 92 the MecGar 18 rnd mags are my favorite. They have been flawless and they have a witness hole for every round vs every 5 rounds. That sure makes it easier when needing different round counts for some stages. I don't know if they are the same for other guns but it would be worth it to check. BTW2 this is the best source I have found.
    https://gregcotellc.com/cart/products_all.html

User Tag List