Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off road recovery

Off road recovery

On lighter note, does anyone watch these yahoos?

We drove through Moab one spring and the off road crowd was lined up for miles along the highway with trailers and ORV's. What a sight. It's like a cult in Utah. I've never owned an ORV (4R doesn't count) but I can see the thrills.

Matt, the guy who owns the business, was sued by the state for insurance fraud and is doing 3 years probation with restitution. He has over a million YT followers though and seems to have community support.

In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

https://youtu.be/l3u1DkgLOJ8

We drove through Moab one spring and the off road crowd was lined up for miles along the highway with trailers and ORV's. What a sight. It's like a cult in Utah. I've never owned an ORV (4R doesn't count) but I can see the thrills.

Matt, the guy who owns the business, was sued by the state for insurance fraud and is doing 3 years probation with restitution. He has over a million YT followers though and seems to have community support.
    Been following him for some time.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

https://youtu.be/l3u1DkgLOJ8

I started watching him when it was him and an I-phone. I really enjoy the content.

Yes, he has some interesting vids.

Bummer about the insurance thing. It sounded like he was trying to help the people get out in a place or vehicle their ins didnt actually cover, and still use the ins.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've watched a few of those.

I used to be involved in the off-road industry in the late '90s, before it got all crazy with rock racing buggies. You can see me in a few of the old videos on YT. It was a fun time, right on the transition from building Jeeps to when the first tube-frame rigs got put together, but still looked like Jeeps.

Just dirt bikes the last ten years or so. If you can't ride it, dragging or throwing it might be an option.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2022/0...nt-aaa-claims/

more details on the charges, and the plea deal.
    sounds to me like he just got caught doing what damn near every tow company i've ever dealt with through AAA has done to some extent.
    I can't tell you how many cars we dragged outside the gates of some of the local (and not so local) tracks so that AAA could tow them under coverage.
    Or the less than handful of times AAA has towed a car for me that may or may not have fit precisely into the rules.

I don't know the precise claims raised in the filing, but just going on his videos and the charities he supports, I get the feeling they were more in the "little white lie" range than the outright fraud category. I could be wrong though.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've watched a few of those.

I used to be involved in the off-road industry in the late '90s, before it got all crazy with rock racing buggies. You can see me in a few of the old videos on YT. It was a fun time, right on the transition from building Jeeps to when the first tube-frame rigs got put together, but still looked like Jeeps.

Just dirt bikes the last ten years or so. If you can't ride it, dragging or throwing it might be an option.
    I noticed that one of his rigs was a Jeep or at least the body was a Jeep. He made some comment about the stock XJ being the best platform to modify for OR and I see a lot of those on steroids in his videos.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

thanks for posting, this. I have been stuck in bed not feeling well today and this has been a great diversion.

Some pretty fantastic rescues and a great crew. It's been kinda funny watching one video where they pull something off with a high amount of skill and finesse and then another video forget half their gear and are improvising with rocks and barb wire

This is how you post videos. Please use this to post videos. It is literally an icon of filmstrip. Please use it.

Name:  DD005D39-2195-49DC-9E4D-1BA758E058BB.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  51.3 KB
    #RESIST

I used to watch BSF recovery team quite a bit. A guy has a purpose-built squarebody K-30 GMC tow truck and they help out at local off road park.

I don't have time to pick out a single video but here's the channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/recoveryteam/videos
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List