Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA President Special Election 2022

Lin was like 100 votes short of getting 50%, and was a runaway winner from the absolute count standpoint. I mean, the dude got about as many votes as all three others combined. I wish that rather than sticking to the bylaws they just let Troy interpret the results...

Then again, 7K votes submitted out of 34K eligible to vote just tell you how much USPSA membership cares about the leadership. Nothing, of course, wouldn't prevent the remaining 27K from bitching when new leadership does something they don't like.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I suppose I should have read the bylaws, but I am surprised the run off rules are so stupid. There should be a provision that narrows the field prior to a run off. With the current setup, if all four stay in the race, we could easily see the same outcome.

It is my understanding that the run off election is between the two top vote recipients, which would be Yee and Bruce.
    Still, I agree, Bruce should concede; Yee got the vast majority of votes.
    As to the voter turnout; I could not agree with you more! Real sad.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrussell View Post
    It is my understanding that the run off election is between the two top vote recipients, which would be Yee and Bruce.
    Not according to what USPSA said in their email about the results, and the run off election:

"USPSA Presidential Election Results
    The results for the Special Election for President are in.

Per bylaws 6.7 "Quorum and Majority" no candidate received more than 50% of the vote. Because no candidate received 50% or more then bylaw 6.8 "Runoff Election Ballot Procedure" takes effect. 6.8 outlines the timing of the Runoff Election:

Fifteen (15) days after the election results were returned to the Board: The board notifies the Election Firm to use the same voting list as the initial election.
    Thirty (30) Days after the Election Firm is notified: Voting Begins
    Thirty-One (31) Days after Voting Begins: Voting Ends
    Fifteen (15) Days after Voting ends: Date for the election firm to tabulate, certify, and deliver results to the Managing Director and Board of Directors."

Hmm, I don’t see where it states who will be the run off candidates. I could be,wrong, but run off usually means the two highest vote getting candidates, not a whole new election. But hey, it is USPSA, so anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Not according to what USPSA said in their email about the results, and the run off election:

"USPSA Presidential Election Results
    The results for the Special Election for President are in.

Per bylaws 6.7 "Quorum and Majority" no candidate received more than 50% of the vote. Because no candidate received 50% or more then bylaw 6.8 "Runoff Election Ballot Procedure" takes effect. 6.8 outlines the timing of the Runoff Election:

Fifteen (15) days after the election results were returned to the Board: The board notifies the Election Firm to use the same voting list as the initial election.
    Thirty (30) Days after the Election Firm is notified: Voting Begins
    Thirty-One (31) Days after Voting Begins: Voting Ends
    Fifteen (15) Days after Voting ends: Date for the election firm to tabulate, certify, and deliver results to the Managing Director and Board of Directors."
    Yeah, when I read this it made no sense to me. We could arrive at a similar no win result.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Yeah, when I read this it made no sense to me. We could arrive at a similar no win result.
    If the 50% requirement remains, this could go on forever.

I need to find the actual bylaws because the email is oddly worded.

The individual members actually voting shall constitute a quorum and those persons receiving the highest number of votes cast shall be deemed elected.
    Majority Required: No candidate for Area Director or President may serve without having received a majority of votes cast. In the event that no candidate receives more than 50% of the votes cast, a run-off election shall be conducted between the two candidates receiving the most votes.

The above is from the bylaws. Looks as though the runoff will be between Bruce and Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Lin was like 100 votes short of getting 50%, and was a runaway winner from the absolute count standpoint. I mean, the dude got about as many votes as all three others combined. I wish that rather than sticking to the bylaws they just let Troy interpret the results...

Then again, 7K votes submitted out of 34K eligible to vote just tell you how much USPSA membership cares about the leadership. Nothing, of course, wouldn't prevent the remaining 27K from bitching when new leadership does something they don't like.
    Still, I agree, Bruce should concede; Yee got the vast majority of votes.
    As to the voter turnout; I could not agree with you more! Real sad.
    Looks as though the runoff will be between Bruce and Lee.
    I think the runoff election is nearly as good an outcome as a full win for Yee-Min. The membership will have a clear choice: (1) Bruce bringing more of the Mike Foley approach vs. (2) Yee-Min bringing more transparency, competitive equity, and an emphasis on USPSA as a sport. I am confident that option 2 will be the majority choice, and we will move beyond the problems of the last few years.

@YVK, I'm fairly sure you were being sarcastic about Troy or NROI interpreting results of the election? That would end up like another "landslide victory" for Putin.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List