Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ammoshop loose 124gr Geco squib,…

Site Supporter
    The wooden dowel absorbs too much of the force you're applying. The usual tool for this is a "range rod". The metal is softer than your barrel so it won't hurt the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The wooden dowel absorbs too much of the force you're applying. The usual tool for this is a "range rod". The metal is softer than your barrel so it won't hurt the barrel.
    I have brass rods that I got at the hardware store - they’re cheap and handy. I cut them to length when needed.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I have brass rods that I got at the hardware store - they’re cheap and handy. I cut them to length when needed.
    This would work too, and probably be cheaper and faster to get. 5/16" is .31xx so that's a possibility. Remember that your bullet diameter (.355) is groove diameter, I think that the distance between lands is .34something.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    The rubber mallet isn't helping, it's limiting the actual force that's transmitted (that's why it bounces). You'll probably have much better luck with a hammer ... Several firm taps on the floor
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The wooden dowel absorbs too much of the force you're applying.
    And probably strike against a sturdy surface, like the floor. It surprises me even when using my kinetic pullet puller how there is a difference between hitting the wooden workbench or the concreate floor.

And a brass rod or range rod is optimal, but I have had good results with a cut down section of one of these:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-48-...ve-Rod/3025196
    One was broken from getting run over and before I threw it away it occurred to me that it might make a good squib rod. Some people also put an empty casing over the end you are hitting with the hammer. And be sure you are driving it back out the way it came, I am wondering a little bit if there might be an issue with the bullet being out of spec.

Do you have access to a large vice? It surprises me how much force can be generated pushing something rather than driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Some people also put an empty casing over the end you are hitting with the hammer.
    A primed case would be sportier.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Proper size brass rod. 2# steel hammer. Chamber end of barell on hard surface. Hit it HARD.
    It will come out.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    A primed case would be sportier.
    I guess my posts should come with a safety warning...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I guess my posts should come with a safety warning...
    Name:  542AE593-DD2D-4358-BED8-E6481F6596E3.jpeg
Views: 302
Size:  54.9 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    Proper size brass rod. 2# steel hammer. Chamber end of barell on hard surface. Hit it HARD.
    It will come out.
    An old piece of 2X4 is a good hard surface. Don't put it on concrete or it will damage the barrel.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback.

It might just b me & the way my wonky brain is reading these posts, but it sounds like some of you are saying DONT try to push it BACK out the chamber end. And then some post read to me like they’re suggesting doing EXACTLY that!😳

The base of the bullet is just barely into the barrel maybe 3-4mm into the rifled section past the breach/chamber. Although it’s certainly a much shorter distance for this to have to travel,… I was under the impression that I did NOT want to try and back it out through the chamber end of the barrel. Is that correct? Do I need to Be careful to push this Stuck SOB ALL the way out thru the muzzle end to avoid damaging anything??

I’m concerned that it could damage the feed ramp bracing that end on any surface wood or other and trying to back it out the chamber. But also damn,…. It’s got s LOOOONG way to travel before it can come out the muzzle end.

User Tag List